Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #196
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
Yeah, it's modifying the code where I run into problems. I have books that don't use the new font when I convert them in Calibre, whether I look at them on my Reader, Sigil, or Calibre's internal viewer. I use Sigil to edit the code by replacing any font-family reference I find with "Fontin," which causes the font to be used in Sigil and Calibre's internal viewer. But when I put the book on my Reader, it doesn't use Fontin for some reason.

I've been meaning to experiment some more, but I haven't had much time these days. I'm using an older version of Sigil, and maybe updating it would make a difference?
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:02 PM   #197
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
It turns out I was never able to fix my problem books by hand-editing the code. Luckily, I discovered that if I first converted the ZIP files to LRF, then converted the LRFs to ePubs, the books end up using the new font and I ended up not having to hand-edit them at all.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #198
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-t1, prs-650 to sell
nice one
gregcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #199
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by atu1303 View Post
Big thanks to zelda-pinwheel, i was able to read vietnamese on PRS 700 now
I have a PRS-600. I really want to know what you did with your 700 to make it able to read books in vietnamese!
vietchovui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #200
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vietchovui View Post
I have a PRS-600. I really want to know what you did with your 700 to make it able to read books in vietnamese!
Probably put Vietnamese fonts in the fonts directory off of the route directory and pointed the CSS of the ePub to those fonts (as outlined someplace in this thread).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 01:54 AM   #201
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Probably put Vietnamese fonts in the fonts directory off of the route directory and pointed the CSS of the ePub to those fonts (as outlined someplace in this thread).
Thank you very much! One more question: How to embed customized font in fetched news epub file? for example for this RSS: http://rss.pcworld.com.vn/rss/default
Sorry for asking you so much. I don't know anything about CSS. Just copy and paste what you give me!
Old 12-31-2009, 10:54 AM   #202
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you very much! One more question: How to embed customized font in fetched news epub file? for example for this RSS: http://rss.pcworld.com.vn/rss/default
Sorry for asking you so much. I don't know anything about CSS. Just copy and paste what you give me!
What I do is open the ePub and edit the CSS to add in the code for the fonts. The fonts live in a directory called fonts in the root of my 505. And fonts is case specific.

Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: "Fontin";
  font-weight: bold;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Bold.ttf);
}
@font-face {
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: italic;
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Italic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
  font-family: "Fontin_Sans";
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin_Sans_R_45b.otf);
}
@font-face {
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin_Sans_B_45b.otf);
}
@font-face {
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin_Sans_I_45b.otf);
}
@font-face {
  font-family: "Fontin_Sans" ;
  font-weight: bold ;
  font-style: italic ;
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin_Sans_BI_45b.otf) ;
}
body {
  font-family: "Fontin", serif;
  widows: 0;
  orphans: 0
}
Old 01-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #203
vietchovui
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I do is open the ePub and edit the CSS to add in the code for the fonts. The fonts live in a directory called fonts in the root of my 505. And fonts is case specific....
Yep. I've tried but no chance. I think epub files fetched from different RSS sources that have different structures, depend on the HTML of the website. So that some words don't display correctly [?]. Please view the sceencap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screencap.PNG
Views:	520
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	42260  

Last edited by vietchovui; 01-01-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #204
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yep. I've tried but no chance. I think epub files fetched from different RSS sources that have different structures, depend on the HTML of the website. So that some words don't display correctly [?]. Please view the sceencap.
You'll just have to put the font family declaration into whatever CSS elements need it.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #205
Cactusgod
Enthusiast
Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cactusgod has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
So here's a question for you pros. Suppose I didn't like the regular version of the font, and I wanted to trick calibre into thinking that the bold version of the font was actually the regular version of the font to be used throughout the body of the text. Is that possible?

Thanks
Cactusgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #206
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusgod View Post
Suppose I didn't like the regular version of the font, and I wanted to trick calibre into thinking that the bold version of the font was actually the regular version of the font to be used throughout the body of the text.
Try the following additional CSS:
Code:
body {
}
You can also try an intrinsically heavy font. I don't know if you can use a bold weight font file as the "normal" font or not.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #207
latexsalesman
Enthusiast
latexsalesman doesn't litterlatexsalesman doesn't litter

Device: Pw2 @ Retina Mini
You can make any font fit into any body text type. Here is an example:
@font-face {
font-family:"MinionPro";
src:url(res:///Data/fonts/MinionPro-MediumDisp.otf);
}
@font-face {
src:url(res:///Data/fonts/MinionPro-SemiboldDisp.otf);
}
@font-face {
src:url(res:///Data/fonts/MinionPro-MediumItDisp.otf);
}
@font-face {
src:url(res:///Data/fonts/MinionPro-SemiboldIt.otf);
}

Minionpro medium display is used as my body text and other versions of it are used for bold, italic... and more.

ePub+calibre makes font changing fun and easy, I probably have tried over 100 font combination s now. I use Grandesign Neue Serif now for most of my books.

Cheers!!
latexsalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #208
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-t1, prs-650 to sell
A heads up to followers of this thread:
Quote:
Replace DEFAULT epub fonts! (PRS-505)
What it does
This hack for Sony Reader PRS-505 (possibly the newer models too, but you are on your own with them) allows you to use your custom fonts for all EPUB files without having to modify them - that is, it should work with any file you download, including protected EPUBs

Basically, you get all the benefits of ePub custom Fonts on 700, 505, 500, 300, 600 without having to modify each and every EPUB file.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66102

gregcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #209
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Zelda sent me here because I'm still having problems. I have PRSPlus installed my 505 if that makes a difference. Here's my stuff:

Code:
@font-face {
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Regular.ttf);
}

@font-face {
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Bold.ttf);
}

@font-face {
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin-Italic.ttf);
}

@font-face {
  font-family: "Fontin Sans";
  src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Fontin_Sans_BI.otf);
}
Edit: I realized I left the "body" part off the end but I added it and tried again with no luck.

Code:
body {
  font-family: "Fontin", serif;
}
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	css on calibre.PNG
Views:	493
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	42686   Click image for larger version

Name:	my fonts.PNG
Views:	470
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	42687  

Last edited by daffy4u; 01-06-2010 at 09:03 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #210
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Nevermind, I got it. When I added the body information, I left out a space.

I typed "body{" instead of "body {".
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, fonts