Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #2026
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
If you buy a Kindle book, it goes to a specific device. That can be a free desktop application, a phone or tablet app or an actual Kindle. In any case, it's registered from a specific Amazon store.
Not really, I can download a book to any device with Kindle software of some sort. Or I can DL a book to my PC (with or without Kindle software) and enter it into the Calibre database. After that, I can do any sort of book management activities, including DRM removal should I so choose.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:43 PM   #2027
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Not really, I can download a book to any device with Kindle software of some sort. Or I can DL a book to my PC (with or without Kindle software) and enter it into the Calibre database. After that, I can do any sort of book management activities, including DRM removal should I so choose.
You can download it to any Kindle device/app, but it needs to be registered to an account at one of the Amazon stores. Even when downloading directly from the website, you need to pick a device which allows transfer via usb.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2018, 03:56 PM   #2028
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Mine all just go to the Kindle cloud reader...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #2029
jselby
Zealot
jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage | Samsug GT4
Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey is $1.99 on amazon.com
https://smile.amazon.com/Sandman-Sli.../dp/B00338QF1E

Synopsis from goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...8-sandman-slim
Quote:
Life sucks and then you die. Or, if you’re James Stark, you spend eleven years in Hell as a hitman before finally escaping, only to land back in the hell-on-earth that is Los Angeles.

Now Stark’s back, and ready for revenge. And absolution, and maybe even love. But when his first stop saddles him with an abusive talking head, Stark discovers that the road to absolution and revenge is much longer than you’d expect, and both Heaven and Hell have their own ideas for his future.

Resurrection sucks. Saving the world is worse.
jselby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:05 PM   #2030
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am binging the whole series. The books are good and worth buying. I love the humor.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2018, 08:25 PM   #2031
jselby
Zealot
jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jselby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I am binging the whole series. The books are good and worth buying. I love the humor.
Apache
Thanks for the recommendation. I thought it looked interesting, but I've never read anything by Kadrey. I found it at my library, so I'll probably borrow it instead of buy.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:36 PM   #2032
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I see books 8 and 9 for sale on Kobo as well for $2.99

https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/the-perdition-score

https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/the-kill-society
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:11 PM   #2033
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
I heartily enjoy these novels as well, Kadrey can really turn a phrase!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:44 AM   #2034
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho is on sale for $1.99 on Amazon.com and maybe other places, until November 18th.

This is about magic, intrigue and politics in Regency London.
It has been compared to Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

A sequel will be released next year.

Goodreads
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:34 AM   #2035
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Do you consider Sanderson's books mediocre?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I've read in an interview that GRRM likes "having written" rather than the actual process of writing. Sanderson never stops. He takes breaks from big projects by writing something else. He talks about writing on planes and on road trips. Martin only writes at home with Wordstar.

They're two of my favorite writers.
My defense of G.R.R.M. was not meant to be a swipe at Sanderson. I haven't read any of his books and don't have an opinion. I'm really not a Martin fan either. I'd be more likely to read his Sand Kings, Fevre Dream, The Armageddon Rag or Nightflyers than any of the Song of Ice and Fire series. I just didn't think the implication that George was writing for the money and dropped it when something more lucrative came along was fair.

Martin has issues with writing that you can see in any interview with him. There's a very good video on YouTube of Stephen King and Martin having a conversation about writing. The man just seems to hate everything he writes right after he writes it and revises endlessly.

The comment about endless doorstops was from an old article by Don D'Ammassa mentioning a "host of brand new writers with no previous experience writing fiction but who could turn out one large epic adventure after another." I believe he was thinking of Terry Goodkind and R.A. Salvatore.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:23 AM   #2036
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Today's Amazon.co.uk Kindle Daily Deal includes Summerland, by Hannu Rajaniemi at 99p:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...d_i=5400977031
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #2037
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
All four of E R Eddison's fantasies - the Zimiamvian Trllogy, and The Worm Ouroboros, are now freely available at the FadedPage:

https://www.fadedpage.com/csearch.ph...%20R%C3%BCcker

Eddison died in 1945, so he's out of copyright in life+70 countries (which include the UK).
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:11 PM   #2038
DrLimu
Connoisseur
DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Today's Amazon.co.uk Kindle Daily Deal includes Summerland, by Hannu Rajaniemi at 99p:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...d_i=5400977031
Thanks. Also available for about the same price to other European countries at Google's store: https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=JSw1CgAAQBAJ
DrLimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #2039
DrLimu
Connoisseur
DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara
Also found the Passage triology by Justin Cronin at Google's store for around 1 euro for each book:

https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=3985E93gCKwC
https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=3CBSi7BnpjUC
https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=XobICgAAQBAJ

I would guess it's available to all Europeans.
DrLimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:43 PM   #2040
jselby
Zealot

A number of volumes in the "Year's Best Science Fiction" series published by Harper Collins are selling for $2.99 and less at amazon.com.

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st...price-asc-rank

Each volume is a collection of short stories by various authors from the the previous year. Here's the blurb from vol 16.

Quote:
A dazzling new collection of the finest short form science fiction from the previous year, compiled once again by World Fantasy and Hugo Award-winning editors by David G. Hartwell and Kathryn Cramer, Year’s Best SF 16 features some of the brightest stars of the genre—including Gregory Benford, Cory Doctrow, Joe Haldeman, and Michael Swanwick. From space travel to time travel to journeys through the mind, brilliant and original speculative fiction is alive and well and magnificently celebrated in this splendid compendium of plausible wonders.