Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-07-2020, 12:31 PM   #2026
pricciar
pricciar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
I updated the Plug-in and tried again. I'm getting the same results. The book is not updating.

I don't remember if I finished the book normally, or simply set the book to read. Normally, I would just go through all of the pages and let it be set to read automatically. But, in this case I might have set it to Read after the first method didn't work. In any case, I have not opened the book for a while now.

I'll send you the log, if you still want to work on it.

Thanks so much!

pat
pricciar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #2027
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Regarding fanfics: When I finish reading an in-progress fanfic (100%), the reading position resets to the cover page, and that syncs to #kobobookmark. If there's multiple chapters in the next fanfic update, it can sometimes be tricky to remember where I left off.

Is there any good way to handle it? I've thought of:

1. Leaving it at 99% so the reading location doesn't reset, and using Kobo Utilities to set it as 100% so it appears as finished in the reader.

2. Is there any way to save/restore the dog-eared bookmarks? I could make one on the last page. I have KoboTouchExtended set to treat new replacements in order to update the ToCs, so it'll get wiped when I re-sync the book.

Is there a better solution that I haven't thought of?

Last edited by ownedbycats; 12-13-2020 at 06:22 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2020, 06:48 PM   #2028
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Does it reset to cover position immediately, or only if you reopen the book?

If the latter, then don't reopen the book before sync of positions.
In the configuration, there's a checkbox "not if finished in library" that will prevent the position in the library from getting reset if you reopen the book after that.

And then maybe put a "done" tag on the book in the library too via whatever means. (I'm thinking of maybe an action chain to make that happen, but right now I do it manually.)
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:00 PM   #2029
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The position resets when I flip past the last page and end up back on the menu.

I actually have a #read bool. FanFicFare is set to explicity set it to #read:no when there's an update.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:40 PM   #2030
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
For those type of books, I make a decision about whether to leave it on the last page, or finish the book and accept that I have to find the position later. The decision really comes down to whether I think the book will be actually be updated, and whether I think I will read it if it does get updated. If it is a good book, and appears to be being updated, I stop on the last page. I'll probably remove it from the home page on the device, but, it will open to the correct place when it is updated. Otherwise, I just finish it and accept that I have lost the location.

At the moment, there is no way to restore the bookmarks. I may look at that when I get around to storing annotations as calibre annotations. But, don't hold your breath for either of those.

If you were reading epubs, the bookmarks would be reloaded from the RMSDK annotations file when you open the book. But, that isn't used for kepubs or other formats.

For the foreseeable future, the simplest way is to stop on the last page, and either dismiss the book from the home page, or set it to read using the metadata update function.

Of course, for an FFF produced book, creating the correct location isn't that hard. The start of the chapter would look like:

kepub:
Code:
OEBPS/file0002.xhtml#kobo.1.1
epub:
Code:
OEBPS/file0002.xhtml#point(/1/4/2/1:0)
And it would probably work without the fragment. You could point to the new chapter when it is updated and update the location after sending to the book. There might even be a way to automate that with either FFF or Action Chains.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2020, 09:09 PM   #2031
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

How would I dismiss it from the home page?

The options I see when I long press are Read Now, View Details, Add to collection, Mark as unread/finished, Remove, and Reading Stats. I think I had to modify something to get the last one to show up, so is it the same for dismissing?

Last edited by ownedbycats; 12-13-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:47 PM   #2032
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Use "Remove". That will prompt you with two or three options. One is to remove the book from the home page. It should come back when you open it again.

That sets a value in the database. I could do that from the plugin as well, but, I haven't needed to worry about it yet. I'll add it when I'm next fiddling.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:51 PM   #2033
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I found it. Thank you.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:33 PM   #2034
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

My solution: I read to the last page. Then when I next connect my Kobo, and run an action chain (I am very lazy) to set #read:true, #percentread:100, and then restore the bookmark. The 100% makes it appear as read on the Kobo but the reading position remains. Since I use the "reading" filter, this is important to me.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 12-14-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:51 AM   #2035
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I installed the latest Calibre and installed the koboutilities again.

I can make a manual backup of the reader's database. I chosed to put it on the D partition where I have all my personal files. But the automatic backup doesn't work. I get the error message about the directory doesn't exist.

"[Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\Martin\\Documents\\_BÖCKER\\Kobo\\Kobo Reader-KoboClaraHD-N249060825575-20201220-164357.sqlite'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 89, in run
File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.jobs", line 193, in do_device_database_backup
File "shutil.py", line 261, in copyfile
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\Martin\\Documents\\_BÖCKER\\Kobo\\Kobo Reader-KoboClaraHD-N249060825575-20201220-164357.sqlite'"

I do understand that the directory doesn't exist. But how do I change the location? I don't find any way in the settings. And in C:\Users\Martin I only have the Dokument folder, not Documents. Do I have to create it manually? And is it possible to put the backup somewhere else, like on the D partition where I have all other things related to Calibre?

Last edited by marp68; 12-20-2020 at 10:55 AM.
marp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:27 PM   #2036
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Sorry, I didn't look thoroughly enough. Saw the redirection option now.
marp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:38 PM   #2037
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Question:

I've run into a strange quirk with my current fanfic update setup. Basically it goes as follows:

1. When I'm on the last page, go to the device menu.
2. Connect the device, and store the bookmarks.
3. Set the percentage to 100% and restore the bookmark. (This marks it as read.)
4. When the fanfic updates, re-send it to the device.
5. Disconnect to let the database entries generate, then reconnect.
6. Set the percentage to 99% and restore the bookmark. (This marks it as unread.)

This works, except that even though the bookmark doesn't change (e.g. OEBPS/file0048.xhtml#kobo.471.1) it ends up shifting to the beginning of the chapter I left off. Note that the only changes would be to the title page, ToC page, and the addition of a new chapter (file0049.xhtml).

Is this usual behaviour for Kobo bookmarks?

Last edited by ownedbycats; 12-21-2020 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:36 PM   #2038
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Question:

I've run into a strange quirk with my current fanfic update setup. Basically it goes as follows:

1. When I'm on the last page, go to the device menu.
2. Connect the device, and store the bookmarks.
3. Set the percentage to 100% and restore the bookmark. (This marks it as read.)
4. When the fanfic updates, re-send it to the device.
5. Disconnect to let the database entries generate, then reconnect.
6. Set the percentage to 99% and restore the bookmark. (This marks it as unread.)

This works, except that even though the bookmark doesn't change (e.g. OEBPS/file0048.xhtml#kobo.471.1) it ends up shifting to the beginning of the chapter I left off. Note that the only changes would be to the title page, ToC page, and the addition of a new chapter (file0049.xhtml).

Is this usual behaviour for Kobo bookmarks?
Are you talking about the bookmarks you set when you tap the upper right cover of the screen while an eBook is displayed? If not, then please use the correct term and not bookmark.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:55 PM   #2039
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Kobo Utilities itself uses the term in "Store/Restore bookmarks."
Old 12-21-2020, 05:48 PM   #2040
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Kobo Utilities itself uses the term in "Store/Restore bookmarks."
I've never needed to do a restore. So is it actually restoring what Kobo calls bookmarks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kobo, kobo utilities, kobo-utilities, plugins