Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #181
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Well, yeah, I was getting my stick out, but no way did I wish him this........

And Dan.......if you are reading this.........get well soon.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #182
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I don't agree with him either, but I kinda liked seeing him here. He may have been overzealous in his campaigning, but other than that a cool guy. Hope he gets well soon.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #183
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Well, it is unfortunate that the thread was bumped solely for the announcement, but appreciate Ardeegee's taking the time to do so, although the humor probably misses the mark under the circumstances. (I still laughed, and might have said the same, myself.)

However, the thread has been entertaining and informative and tho I don't know danbloom, nor had ever heard of him before this thread, I also wish him a full and speedy recovery. And if it can't be both, then a full one.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
-- George Bernard Shaw

And I don't mean that in an unkind way.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #184
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
That's actually very sad and I wish him a quick recovery.

Although we might not agree with his premise, that doesn't mean we should wish him ill.
It's even sadder - he DIED! Kinda hard to 'recover' from that.

Derek

OOPS! *MY* bad! I sped-read the first paragraph and *missed* the 'almost' before the 'died'!
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #185
schmolch
Connoisseur
schmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Reading on a "computer"-screen is like walking through a mine-field, there are so many things that can happen to you that you can not really deeply relax.
A paper-book however gives you a unique experience that combines 2 great things: (1) Deep relaxation, because there only is the quiet book and nothing else to worry about, and (2) high mental activity/awareness due to your involvement with the story/content.
If you feel forced to move from the bliss and sanctuary of paper-books to the stress and uncertainty of "computer"-reading that might be very unsettling.

...just a random thought...
schmolch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #186
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmolch View Post
Reading on a "computer"-screen is like walking through a mine-field, there are so many things that can happen to you that you can not really deeply relax.
A paper-book however gives you a unique experience that combines 2 great things: (1) Deep relaxation, because there only is the quiet book and nothing else to worry about, and (2) high mental activity/awareness due to your involvement with the story/content.
If you feel forced to move from the bliss and sanctuary of paper-books to the stress and uncertainty of "computer"-reading that might be very unsettling.

I see your point about reading from a web page on my computer. However, reading on my Sony reader is just like reading a book - and unlike reading a web page.

I think the problem is that the OP (who I hope recovers fully) and some of the people he quoted are conflating reading from a screen with reading from the web.

It's the presentation that matters - anything that gives still text is going to be different from a busy and "noisy" environment.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:45 PM   #187
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmolch View Post

True..........but if you are reading on a dedicated ebook device, the experience is only improved. You still get the "into the book" experience, plus you have no heavy volumes to hold, you can adjust the font, its automatically bookmarked for you, a dictionary is built in, and if you have issues with your hands, arms, the lightness and ease of turning pages is a huge plus.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #188
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Best wishes Dan get well soon
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #189
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjr13 View Post
Best wishes Dan get well soon
Ditto.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #190
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Although it won't derail me from my search for an ereader to suit my needs, it occurred to me that searching an tree book is a lot more fun. Fanning the pages of a tree book cannot be replicated on an ebook. Seeing the pages fly by and picking out the page with the picture or diagram you remember being there just can't be duplicated. And flipping rapidly by to a page you recognize as being after the one you are seeking and paging back and forth to home it on it just won't work as well on an ebook.

A "search" feature is certainly more precise and less wasteful of time. But its still just not the same level of fun.

On the other hand, that is a differentiation between casual reading and searching a reference book or a how-to book, and I seldom fan the pages of a novel seeking a particular page (unless I fell asleep, and the book fell shut -- no bookmark). On the occasion when I think a character had said something previously contrary, or can't remember the referenced observation precisely, I have wished for a search feature on my tree book, so will be nice to have.

So, for my intended purpose -- entertainment -- the ebook still wins.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:11 AM   #191
danbloom
Banned
danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: The Bindle: no batteries, hand-cranked pages, mobile, underlineable
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Well, yeah, I was getting my stick out, but no way did I wish him this........

And Dan.......if you are reading this.........get well soon.
Thank you, desertgrandma, and billjr 13 and WT sharpe, and eGeezer and delphid96, and thanks you for the good wishes. Getting better every day. Appreciate the kind words.
-- Dan

(the clogged arteries "event" last Friday had nothing to with our back and forth chats here, and everything to do with plaque buildup over a long period of time. Resting now, but just wanted to say thanks for kind words, everyone.)

Last edited by danbloom; 11-12-2009 at 12:22 AM. Reason: new thought
danbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:21 AM   #192
danbloom
Banned
danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: The Bindle: no batteries, hand-cranked pages, mobile, underlineable
And the final conclusion that came to me while lying in the ICU bed for a few days with nothing to do but take my meds (real meds this time) and contemplate this question is this: After careful consideration, I think there is NO NEED for a new word for reading on screens compared to reading on paper, because reading is reading, no matter how you slice it, and especially on E-readers, it's the same thing: reading is reading. There is no need at all for a new word for reading on an e-reader. It was a good question at the time, ....sort of........but I was wrong. Why create or coin or even look for a new word for something that is NOT needed? No reason to do so at all. I was wrong, it's that simple. Do appreciate all the comments here, and hope to come back later when I am in better health and say hello again.
danbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:29 AM   #193
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbloom View Post
Do appreciate all the comments here, and hope to come back later when I am in better health and say hello again.
I'll be looking forward to it, and I'm sure everyone else will as well. Take care of yourself and get well soon!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:09 AM   #194
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
dan, i'm very happy to see you're still with us. take it easy and feel better!
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fake controversy, silly