Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-19-2021, 03:45 PM   #181
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
There is an A5c with play store being sold on Aliexpress though.
No, it's a cloned store. I already wrote that it wasn't real. Further reading on xda-developers forum.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:07 PM   #182
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
No, it's a cloned store. I already wrote that it wasn't real. Further reading on xda-developers forum.
Correct me if Im wrong but you and that thread is referring to the A5proCC. The description on Aliexpress rightly states that it is a playstore clone

I'm referring to the A5C.
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2021, 09:05 PM   #183
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Would getting an A5 now and wait for a future hisense Color phone be a good way to go ? I definitely want an E-ink phone now.
I have both the A5 (without the Play Store) and the A5 Pro CC. They are both wonderful devices. However, the A5 Pro CC has a significantly darker screen. That is not a worry if you are using it outside or in a well lit environment. However, if you will be using it in a low lit environment, you will be needing to use the frontlight much more frequently and at a higher setting than you would on the A5. That is not a problem for me, but has been a problem for some with more sensitive eyes.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:09 AM   #184
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Yes, of course you're right! I skipped the A5C as the less powered gadget and promptly forgot all about it.

The snapdragons are rootable, though. And with that comes the global ROM with full play store. Of course, you'll lose your guarantee if you root.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:22 AM   #185
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
However, the A5 Pro CC has a significantly darker screen. That is not a worry if you are using it outside or in a well lit environment. However, if you will be using it in a low lit environment, you will be needing to use the frontlight much more frequently and at a higher setting than you would on the A5. That is not a problem for me, but has been a problem for some with more sensitive eyes.
It depends how we define low lit environment. If this means you have to use the frontlight outside in the dark or inside in a room without any ambiet light, then I'm fine with that as the latter setting hardly happens. So in your experience the A5 is usable in these conditions or do you have others in mind ?

Knowing thag you don't have Google play on the A5, do you still think google maps is usable on a B&W device ? Asking as maps is a helpful tool for me. And how are pictures on both phones ?

One thing I also read is that by turning the A5c black and white in the developer settings, the screen becomes more readable due the black and white. So wondering if that balances out the downside of having a significantly darker screen than the A5 ?

I've also seen you advise people not to buy from Aliexpress and I wonder if you still stand by that. There's a shop called "Fish store" that seems to be getting decent rewiews and I want to be sure

Last edited by tracey1; 05-20-2021 at 10:28 AM.
Advert
Old 05-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #186
tracey1
Addict

Quote:
Yes, of course you're right! I skipped the A5C as the less powered gadget and promptly forgot all about it.

The snapdragons are rootable, though. And with that comes the global ROM with full play store. Of course, you'll lose your guarantee if you root.
I've read that only the A5, A5c, A6/L, A2pro can have full google play store functionality. Not counting Aurora store.

Is rooting something more for tech savy people ?
Old 05-21-2021, 05:12 PM   #187
Markismus
Guru

Quite
Old 05-21-2021, 06:00 PM   #188
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It depends how we define low lit environment.
I have attached a couple of pictures of the two screens side by side. Same app. Same font size (27). Same page of same book. It was inside my living room during the day. The lights on both devices are off. The lights in the room are off. The first picture is with the A5 on the left. I then switched it to the right for the second picture so that it would be evident that the difference in screens is not the result of it being slightly closer to the window.

I would be comfortable reading on the A5 in these conditions. I could read on the A5 Pro CC, but it would not be comfortable. I would need either a light on in the room or the light on the A5 Pro CC to be on to make it comfortable.

Fortunately, I am not bothered by the light on the A5 Pro CC. However, if you are light sensitive, it might bother you as it apparently did to norwerger earlier in this thread. That is something which potential users need to be aware of. You will likely be using the light on the A5 Pro CC at times when you wouldn't on the A5. I assume the same probably goes for the A5C.

Quote:
IKnowing thag you don't have Google play on the A5, do you still think google maps is usable on a B&W device ? Asking as maps is a helpful tool for me. And how are pictures on both phones ?
Although maps are viewable on a B&W device, they are much more pleasurable to read on a colour device. That's one of the reasons why I decided to get the Nova Pro Color. I am really looking forward to using it with my hiking maps when I eventually go back to Japan.

Quote:
One thing I also read is that by turning the A5c black and white in the developer settings, the screen becomes more readable due the black and white. So wondering if that balances out the downside of having a significantly darker screen than the A5 ?
Not really as you can see in the photos I attached which were of black text on a white background.

Quote:
I've also seen you advise people not to buy from Aliexpress and I wonder if you still stand by that. There's a shop called "Fish store" that seems to be getting decent rewiews and I want to be sure
My firsst experience buying a phone from Aliexpress was very smooth. My second attempt was horrific. I eventually got my money back, but it took a long time and significant effort to do so. I would happily buy inexpensive items like phone covers or batteries from Aliexpress. However, I would be very wary about buying anything expensive from there again if there were some other viable alternative.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A5 vs A5 Pro CC first pic.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	187259   Click image for larger version

Name:	A5 vs A5 Pro CC second pic.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	187260  

Last edited by Question Mark; 05-21-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:05 PM   #189
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
maps is usable on a B&W device ?
Maps are very difficult to read in greyscale (unless they are intentionally and well built under that constraint). The information colour provides is critical in maps.

Experienced opinion. Note that I built a system to use an Onyx T68 as a car GPS:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=262222
- good experience as usual, technically, but.

Last edited by mdp; 05-22-2021 at 05:10 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:12 PM   #190
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
However, the screen isn't beautiful anymore.
Could you please clarify?
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:47 PM   #191
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Knowing thag you don't have Google play on the A5, do you still think google maps is usable on a B&W device ? Asking as maps is a helpful tool for me. And how are pictures on both phones ?
Have attached pics of the Nova 3 Color, the A5 Pro CC and the A5 all using a map from the Osmand map app of Kyoto. I don't have Google Maps on my A5 devices and I wanted to keep the comparison fair so I wanted to use the same app.

I also included the N3C showing a hiking map, which was one of the reasons I got it. Unfortunately, I couldn't get that map app for my A5 devices. It's only available on Google Play. Hence the need for a device which can run the Play Store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N3C vs A5PCC vs A5 Maps.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	187321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nova 3 Color Hiking Map.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	187322  
Old 05-25-2021, 08:55 AM   #192
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
kingrow k1 owner here

- b/w is good enough for my google maps use (reach a destination in town)
- with his ~5 inches i consider it a big phone
- though i managed to do everything i expected from a smartphone when i did buy , i won't take another one without GSF installed already.

So many mandatory apps for health service, track&trace, traveling (covid-19 passport)
appeared this last year and rely on google services

(i'd be curious to test kaleido screens on smartphones, as it won't go in competition for indoor reading with my main boox nova reader)

Last edited by underscore; 05-25-2021 at 09:05 AM.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:34 PM   #193
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
- b/w is good enough for my google maps use (reach a destination in town)
For regular city maps, I quite agree that a b/w screen is fine. It's much nicer, though, with a slight bit of colour.

For hiking maps, a colour screen makes a world of difference. The last time I went hiking in Japan, I was using my Nova Pro. There were times when it was really challenging to see the various trails as they were sometimes difficult to distinguish from contour lines or rivers.

I will be very interested to see how the A5 Pro CC performs the next time I go hiking. I'll be taking screenshots on another device and loading them onto my A5 Pro CC so that I can compare it to the Nova 3 Color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
(i'd be curious to test kaleido screens on smartphones, as it won't go in competition for indoor reading with my main boox nova reader)
I find the slight bit of colour really useful. However, it does make for a significantly darker screen which means that you need to use the light a lot more unless you're outside on a sunny day or beneath a bright light source.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:17 AM   #194
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
I find the slight bit of colour really useful. However, it does make for a significantly darker screen which means that you need to use the light a lot more unless you're outside on a sunny day or beneath a bright light source.

A 'pocketable' longlasting smartphone (max 5 inches), a slight bit of outdoor colour and google services and i'm sold even if i have to turn frontlight indoor.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:39 AM   #195
tracey1
Addict

Quote:
I have attached a couple of pictures of the two screens side by side. Same app. Same font size (27). Same page of same book. It was inside my living room during the day. The lights on both devices are off. The lights in the room are off. The first picture is with the A5 on the left. I then switched it to the right for the second picture so that it would be evident that the difference in screens is not the result of it being slightly closer to the window.

I would be comfortable reading on the A5 in these conditions. I could read on the A5 Pro CC, but it would not be comfortable. I would need either a light on in the room or the light on the A5 Pro CC to be on to make it comfortable.

Fortunately, I am not bothered by the light on the A5 Pro CC. However, if you are light sensitive, it might bother you as it apparently did to norwerger earlier in this thread. That is something which potential users need to be aware of. You will likely be using the light on the A5 Pro CC at times when you wouldn't on the A5. I assume the same probably goes for the A5C.

Although maps are viewable on a B&W device, they are much more pleasurable to read on a colour device. That's one of the reasons why I decided to get the Nova Pro Color. I am really looking forward to using it with my hiking maps when I eventually go back to Japan.

Not really as you can see in the photos I attached which were of black text on a white background.

My firsst experience buying a phone from Aliexpress was very smooth. My second attempt was horrific. I eventually got my money back, but it took a long time and significant effort to do so. I would happily buy inexpensive items like phone covers or batteries from Aliexpress. However, I would be very wary about buying anything expensive from there again if there were some other viable alternative.
This is incredibly informative, thank you. I did not expect the A5CC to be THIS much darker but based off your photos it really is a non-negligible difference. It really reassures me in my decision of an imminent A5 purchase, thank you.

As you and Mdp pointed out, color seems to be helpful for maps but given that my main reason for getting an E-ink phone is eye-friendlyness/not having to use artificial light all the time, I will have to go with the A5.
Strangely enough, I can see very well, even on darker screens so I do wonder whether the A5C's would suffice but based on the picture comparisons, I'm probably way better off going with the A5.

Plus, maps seem to be at least "doable" in B&W according to you and others. I guess I'm content with that if this means I can get to places relatively comfortably ?

I know there's another solution : the A6. But for now, the A5 should suffice as a main phone. Plus, an all E-ink phone seems like a real distraction-free productivity booster which I can imagine to be an interesting experience.

If this is the case for Aliexpress, then I will go with CECT.

Last edited by tracey1; 05-26-2021 at 09:46 AM.