Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #181
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
I really could care less about which format is "superior"
as long as I can read the words I'm good.
I would tend to believe most users are the same way.
Would you be happy with a text file that doesn't have any formatting, but has all the words?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #182
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would you be happy with a text file that doesn't have any formatting, but has all the words?
I would generally. They display just fine on the Kindle and don't look much different than an ebook. A nicely formatted version would be better, but I've read plenty of plain text files with no complaints.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #183
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
When I said no you can't, I was replying to a post that said you could take out library eBooks using the Kindle app. It was a mistaken post and the post I replied to has since been corrected.

As to people being able to borrow Kindle eBooks from the library using a Kindle app depends on whether or not Amazon built in the time limited flavor of their DRM. If not, then Amazon will have to update the apps for library access. Or Amazon could have the time limited DRM already in the apps. We won't know until Kindle eBooks are available at libraries and people have a chance to try it out using Kindle apps.
The Amazon Kindle team says:

We are excited to announce that a new feature, Kindle Library Lending, will be coming later this year. Kindle customers will be able to borrow Kindle books from over 11,000 public libraries in the United States.

Kindle Library Lending will provide the same unique features customers love about Kindle and Kindle books, including the ability to read on any Kindle or free Kindle app, Whispersync technology that synchronizes your notes, highlights and last page read, real page numbers, and more. After a library book expires, if you ever decide to check it out again or purchase it from Amazon, all of your annotations and bookmarks will be preserved.

We are partnering with OverDrive, the leading provider of digital solutions to libraries, to bring a seamless library borrowing experience to Kindle. We will announce more information on Kindle Library Lending later this year.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...x1MRWHJW9RLUZE

Yes, library books will (future tense) be available for Kindle apps.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #184
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I would generally. They display just fine on the Kindle and don't look much different than an ebook. A nicely formatted version would be better, but I've read plenty of plain text files with no complaints.
I'm not fanatical about formatting...I find uncorrected OCR errors to be far, far more irritating.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #185
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I'm not fanatical about formatting...I find uncorrected OCR errors to be far, far more irritating.
I agree. I looked at some OCR'd Google books, and they were just laughably bad.

Last edited by carld; 08-11-2011 at 05:42 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #186
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I agree. I looked at some OCR'd Google books, and they were just laughably bad.
A few sets of human eyes would eliminate a lot of it. I suppose that would cut into the profit margin.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #187
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
----------------------------------------------------
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #188
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
The Amazon Kindle team says:

We are excited to announce that a new feature, Kindle Library Lending, will be coming later this year. Kindle customers will be able to borrow Kindle books from over 11,000 public libraries in the United States.

Kindle Library Lending will provide the same unique features customers love about Kindle and Kindle books, including the ability to read on any Kindle or free Kindle app, Whispersync technology that synchronizes your notes, highlights and last page read, real page numbers, and more. After a library book expires, if you ever decide to check it out again or purchase it from Amazon, all of your annotations and bookmarks will be preserved.

We are partnering with OverDrive, the leading provider of digital solutions to libraries, to bring a seamless library borrowing experience to Kindle. We will announce more information on Kindle Library Lending later this year.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...x1MRWHJW9RLUZE

Yes, library books will (future tense) be available for Kindle apps.
Ooops! That hurts! "to bring a seamless library borrowing experience to Kindle" I like how the word seamlees sounds!

Last edited by thebestjeter; 08-11-2011 at 10:52 PM.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #189
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
Ooops! That hurts! "to bring a seamless library borrowing experience to Kindle" I like how the word seamlees sounds!
Seamless is best. Those seams can start to chafe after a while.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:05 AM   #190
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
In seventeenth century metaphysical poetry, for example, stanzas are sometimes written in the shape of what they describe. That can't be done reliably in mobi or epub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
Uhm, that would be like a (mouse) tail shape in Adobe epub version of "Alice in Wonderland" (chapter III)?
Can't be done reliably, as in, formatted not once ultra-carefully but through an entire book with multiple indents, and not by an expert programmer but by an ordinary poet, and by publishing house grunts who wish to lay out/automate hundreds of pages as quickly as possible.

Great example, though -- especially since Alice in Wonderland is ubiquitous. I'll have a look at our MR library's versions of the "Tale of the Mouse" (we have at least three). Have any of our Kindle users taken a look at commercial mobi editions?

Even so, I've yet to see a single ePub or mobi edition in which stanzas with multiple indents are laid out correctly, let alone in a lengthy poetry collection or anthology. So far, everything I've seen has been aligned to the left margin and that, Beuys and grills, is a problem. Sadly, "yet to see" includes the poetry of writers like George Herbert and John Donne.

Entire volumes of sixteenth century prose can't be reproduced because of their layouts: Boxes of continuous text inside larger boxes of continuous text. For the modern equivalent, have a leer at Glas, by Jacques Derrida.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 08-12-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #191
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:

It really would not bother me.

I've been reading straight text files for 25 years.

Although minimal formatting is good.

Last edited by Harry_Y; 08-12-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #192
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:

It really depends more on the intrinsic format of the book itself than one's reading habits. You can't play a fugue for pipe organ on a ukelele.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:01 AM   #193
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:

Although minimal formatting is good.

I find that without minimal formatting, the content has to be spectacularly gripping to hold my attention. My minimum preference? 6-8pt left and right margins, fully justified, indented paragraphs, chapter end page breaks, chapter start 3/4 page. I'm easy to please.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #194
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I actually think wait times will triple or more, at certain libraries. Especially popular ones like FLP.

But I think it will be a short-term issue. FLP can probably afford to buy more licenses and they presumably will do so. Heavy-users (like myself) will adapt -- heavy-users are rarely using the library for new books, and we usually have a big enough To-Read list that a longer wait at the library isn't a major issue. (I'm "30 of 30" on several books right now alone. Meh.) Light-users, including the new Amazon users, will probably become annoyed and then stop using the system, which will bring wait times back to a more stable spot.

As for Amazon being blamed: Meh. Some people will gripe online about the wait times. Some Amazon users will gripe that they weren't missing anything with libraries because "nothing is ever available". A LOT of people will defend the Kindlers' right to the libraries despite most people not arguing against that point. (See also, kitten juggling.) Mobile Reads moderators will have to issue gentle warnings against personal attacks. Life will continue as usual.
May I please award you the Knight Commander of the order of Cassandra, complete with oak leaf cluster?

I think you are exactly right on how the whole thing will go down.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #195
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
A LOT of people will defend the Kindlers' right to the libraries despite most people not arguing against that point.
I agree most are not arguing that point. But the few who are, are ridiculously vocal about it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle, library, tablet