Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-29-2018, 11:54 AM   #181
elusznik
elusznik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@elusznik: No, the hotfix is designed to be installed via "Update Your Kindle" (UYK) in the Settings menu.

The Hotfix also allows you to run MRPI without KUAL, via ;log mrpi, which allows you to actually install KUAL on these devices (as it's no longer a simple Kindlet).

TL;DR: Factory Image -> Factory JB -> Hotfix -> MRPI -> Everything else
Thanks for the simple instructions and a quick response! I'll be sure to post when I'm done with it.
elusznik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:57 AM   #182
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Now updated with links .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #183
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
TL;DR: Factory Image -> Factory JB -> Hotfix -> MRPI -> KUAL Booklet w/ Coplate's patch -> Everything else
Can we add this to the first post? This is a really convenient summation.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:43 PM   #184
elusznik

Question After hotfix

Okay, I am after installing the hotfix stage. Do I now simply drop the extensions and mrpackages folders into the root directory of my Kindle?
Old 11-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #185
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
No.
Install MrPI now.
See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=180
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #186
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusznik View Post
Okay, I am after installing the hotfix stage. Do I now simply drop the extensions and mrpackages folders into the root directory of my Kindle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Lol, that's the same thing worded differently. Installation of MrPI is copying the extensions and mrpackages folders into the Kindle root (from the PC's point of view).

After MrPI is installed, ;log mrpi to install KUALBooklet (coplate build). I'm lazy so I keep a ready-made mrpackages folder on my PC with KUALBooklet, linkss (screensaver), python, RP and CRP so my "base" add-ons all get installed during that step.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 11-29-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:07 AM   #187
nkahoang
nkahoang got an A in P-Chem.nkahoang got an A in P-Chem.nkahoang got an A in P-Chem.nkahoang got an A in P-Chem.nkahoang got an A in P-Chem.nkahoang got an A in P-Chem.nkahoang got an A in P-Chem.nkahoang got an A in P-Chem.nkahoang got an A in P-Chem.nkahoang got an A in P-Chem.nkahoang got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Paperwhite 4 32GB with LTE
Working with Australian Kindlewhite 4 - LTE

Hi,

Big thank you to all the developers, can confirm that my Paperwhite 4 32GB with LTE is now jailbroken. All installed smoothly, with KUAL, screensaver, USB Network and other stuff.

Mine came with 5.10.0.2 out of the box, G000T2.
nkahoang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:10 AM   #188
elusznik

Thanks for all the help! I've jailbroken my 8GB Wi-Fi model, installed KUAL, logged into Amazon account and updated to 5.10.1.2 without losing JB.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #189
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Lol, that's the same thing worded differently. Installation of MrPI is copying the extensions and mrpackages folders into the Kindle root (from the PC's point of view).

. . . .
At the current moment, true.
But we make no guarantees that it will remain so in the future (or that it was so in the past).

Which is the major reason the directory structure is embedded in the archive rather than the end-user's mind.

And as a rather trivial point, to access those directories of the archive, the archive needs to be expanded ("opened").
Where if the user follows the directions: "Extract archive to highest visible level of the attached Kindle storage."; they would be done.
(Which also keeps the complete archive on the PC and the contents on the Kindle.)
Old 12-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #190
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
At the current moment, true.
But we make no guarantees that it will remain so in the future (or that it was so in the past).

Which is the major reason the directory structure is embedded in the archive rather than the end-user's mind.

And as a rather trivial point, to access those directories of the archive, the archive needs to be expanded ("opened").
Where if the user follows the directions: "Extract archive to highest visible level of the attached Kindle storage."; they would be done.
(Which also keeps the complete archive on the PC and the contents on the Kindle.)
Will those instructions even work for the NiLuJe snapshot version? I believe 2018-11-08 minimum is needed for the PW4 while the official package on the MRPI first post is from 2016.

NiLuJe's package is tar.xz so on Windows (e.g. default 7-Zip behavior), extracting directly to Kindle storage only extracts the tar ball.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 12-02-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:07 PM   #191
knc1
Going Viral

NiLuJe was one of the people who thought what I explained was a good idea and followed for years.

Then, more recently, he started posting his snapshots differently.
Or, at least what seems to be differently on some OS in use by viewers (it doesn't work any differently under Linux - Your complaint is with Bill G.).
Old 12-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #192
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, the idea was always "unpack in the right directory", with the "right directory" *always* being the USB root, for as much stuff as possible, especially if the package contains more than a single file.

The fact that 7-zip does dumb shit with compressed tarballs on Windows is, err, their problem? IIRC, p7zip does it right, and even on Windows, you can cobble something up with 7z's CLI. Some (if not all?) WinRAR versions may also be doing things right (as far as this is concerned, at least... ).

Otherwise, I guess you just have to live with it and simply do that with the uncompressed tarball you get after your first click.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-02-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #193
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Yeah, the idea was always "unpack in the right directory", with the "right directory" *always* being the USB root, for as much stuff as possible, especially if the package contains more than a single file.

The fact that 7-zip does dumb shit with compressed tarballs on Windows is, err, their problem? IIRC, p7zip does it right, and even on Windows, you can cobble something up with 7z's CLI. Some (if not all?) WinRAR versions may also be doing things right (as far as this is concerned, at least... ).

Otherwise, I guess you just have to live with it and simply do that with the uncompressed tarball you get after your first click.
Given tarballs aren't natively supported in Windows, it's to be expected things may not work exactly as they do in Linux-land.

I just pointed out that following the instructions exactly as they are worded on the MrPI thread may not work for Windows users (and in general, Windows users are probably the ones who need more handholding).

Lol, if someone can pipe stdout-stdin with 7z CLI in order to skip the intermediate tarball, they can likely figure out what goes where on their own.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #194
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ilovejedd: The CLI comment was mainly to point out that the GUI not supporting it is a bit mystifying .

It's not ideal, but unfortunately, this falls squarely in the "get better tools" category. Only ZIP & RAR are actually container+compression formats. Any modern, decent compression algorithm is just that, so you *need* to put your stuff in a container format first, and that's pretty much always going to be tar .

For science, I experimented with Facebook's zstd a few weeks ago, and while interesting, it doesn't tick all the boxes I need (mainly, a small decoder that I can embed in each package, like I currently do with xz[dec]), and doesn't solve anything in that respect, because tar ;p.

EDIT: Well, 7z also has a container format, but it doesn't store unix permissions, so, out it goes.

EDIT²: And, err, no, SFX archives wouldn't help, unless I were to forgo the tarball container, which I can't always, because unix permissions.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-02-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:36 PM   #195
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
@ilovejedd: The CLI comment was mainly to point out that the GUI not supporting it is a bit mystifying .
Lol, the Windows CLI doesn't support it natively either, afaik. You need to decompress the tarball first but since 7z CLI can do stdout/stdin, you can just pipe the decompressed tarball to another instance of 7z.

I think direct extration of compressed tarball with p7zip is something specific to the Posix 7z port.

The tar.xz packages are fine. It's just the instructions that need clarification/updating.

OT
Curious though, given /mnt/us/ is FAT32, do *nix permissions even apply? I thought FAT32 partitions just get assigned Linux permissions upon mounting and you can't change individual file folder permission. I remember having to manually edit /etc/fstab on Mint so I can write to shared NTFS/FAT32 partitions on my dual-boot laptop.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 12-02-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Tags
jailbreak, pw4