Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-25-2023, 10:31 AM   #181
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Newer Cell/Mobile enabled Kindles do 4G. The Oasis "gen 2" 3G/4G does USA 4G.

Anyway I doubt Amazon will stop charging for delivery.
Quote:
He means Kindles with built in mobile/cellular Modems.
Hmmm...I have some newer Kindles, including that new-new one that they were all hot about. And a scribe, although damned if I know why, on that one. I don't think I ever noticed, as we have very good Wifi beacons at the house. When you're a hermit, you forget these things.

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡~)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 10:42 AM   #182
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Most Kindles don't have a mobile/cell modem, it's an extra cost.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2023, 10:55 AM   #183
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Most Kindles don't have a mobile/cell modem, it's an extra cost.
Well...honestly, again, I tend to buy whatever is at the top end, not for frivolity but I typically need the extra space and speed and all that jazz. NOW, I'm gonna have to check.

(And I loathe ads, so those don't live there either.)

Hitch
Old 04-25-2023, 11:29 AM   #184
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some models of Kindle don't seem to have a 3G/4G Cell/Mobile option.
Kindle Scribe: No mention.
Current Kindle Oasis: There is an option with mobile modem. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XYF7Y8N
Also the previous model.

The Modem was an option on the KK3. But strangely the DXG has no WiFi. Not mentioned is that the 3G models that work in Europe also support 2G GSM and GSM's EDGE, which is as fast as ordinary 3G and more reliable (no cell breathing). The GSM or EDGE 2G isn't being turned off in many countries because it's used even on new "Smart" Electricity meters, some traffic lights, water or gas meters etc.
My DXG often only finds 2G (GSM-EDGE version), actually has EDGE in small text instead of 3G. Rural 3G and 4G is often rubbish away from main highways in Ireland or UK.

The 2nd Gen Oasis does EDGE (2G), 3G and 4G, but not 4G in Europe. It's USA 4G only.

The USA 2G is unrelated to Europe 2G (GSM) and is rubbish. Qualcomm influenced the 3G deliberations because they had 3G patents based on USA 2G (CDMA). The 4G is similar to what 3G would have been if USA hadn't based 3G on same CDMA as USA 2G. The 3G is poor for efficiency as users connect, dropping to half total speed and shrinking range (cell breathing just as on USA 2G). The GSM & also EDGE versions of GSM 2G survive in some places and will outlive the crippled 3G spec because it's very stable. There is no cell shrinkage (breathing) as users added.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-25-2023 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2023, 11:47 AM   #185
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The cell service is why Amazon charges data fees. Amazon really should dump the cell modems from all Kindles and any Kindle capable of WiFi, disable the cell service.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2023, 08:03 AM   #186
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The cell service is why Amazon charges data fees.
The publisher is assessed the fee based on the size of book regardless of the actual delivery method. Perhaps the initial justification was the cost of cellular service for early Kindles but the connection between book size and Amazon’s cost to deliver has not matched up for a long time.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 08:20 AM   #187
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The publisher is assessed the fee based on the size of book regardless of the actual delivery method. Perhaps the initial justification was the cost of cellular service for early Kindles but the connection between book size and Amazon’s cost to deliver has not matched up for a long time.
In thinking about it, I realized that I would never have signed up for a Kindle with cell, from the jump--out of necessity, that is--because for the first 5-6 years that we lived here, which also started in '08, like the Kindles(ish), we didn't have cell service at the house.

We just happen to live in a small dead spot--you had to walk 500' outside of the house in any direction, to start to get even a single bar. LOL. So...never would have crossed my mind as usable.

With the aid of repeaters, etc. we have it now--but if you wanted to get texts, you had to do the "500 feet outside in any direciton" walk but if you actually needed to call anyone, you had to get in the car and drive the 3 miles up the hill to the Fire house. LOL.

Hitch
Old 04-26-2023, 08:55 AM   #188
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Yes, I know it's purely book size and not delivery method, but no-one else I know charges for ebook delivery. It's plain wrong.

Only delivery direct to Kindle using Amazon's SIM in the Cellular/Mobile modem costs them anything.
Old 04-28-2023, 12:57 AM   #189
Peter Ahlstrom
Connoisseur
Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Amazon is once again playing fast and loose with hi-res graphics. In the eBook The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England by Brandon Sanderson, the ePub has hi-res graphics and the Kindle version does not. I downloaded the sample and it does not have the hi-res graphics.

Is this the same as the last time (see earlier in this thread)?
Oh hey, I just got the email saying this thread had been updated. There is nothing mysterious going on here—this book just has a ton of images and they did not compress as well as the ones in Tress of the Emerald Sea because of the types of images they are. Tress had a bunch of images with flat color areas that compressed really easily as gifs, but in Frugal Wizard nothing except the front cover and title page has easily compressible flat color areas.

End result was, we put much lower resolution images in the Kindle version to keep the delivery fee down. And we put a QR code on the illustrations table of contents that leads to higher quality images online. The ePub version just has the higher quality images in it.

EDIT: and now I’ve read the other posts after that one. jhowell and Hitch are right.

I would love to be able to offer Kindle readers the full experience, but when we’re looking at delivery fees of $4.50 per book, on a $10 book, it’s just not happening. Adding the QR code was the best we could do, but a lot of people probably missed it because they didn’t look at the contents page.

I know the Big Five aren’t paying delivery fees. I asked our Amazon guy if there was any chance of us being able to get a non-KDP deal, and there just isn’t. Amazon is not making any new deals with publishers like those ones. It’s KDP or the highway.

At least our Amazon guy was able to swing us changing the book titles before release, after preorders had started, since we’re keeping the titles a surprise for those who want to not know. KDP’s automated review was having none of that.

Last edited by Peter Ahlstrom; 04-28-2023 at 01:09 AM.
Peter Ahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 05:08 AM   #190
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ahlstrom View Post
Oh hey, I just got the email saying this thread had been updated. There is nothing mysterious going on here—this book just has a ton of images and they did not compress as well as the ones in Tress of the Emerald Sea because of the types of images they are. Tress had a bunch of images with flat color areas that compressed really easily as gifs, but in Frugal Wizard nothing except the front cover and title page has easily compressible flat color areas.

End result was, we put much lower resolution images in the Kindle version to keep the delivery fee down. And we put a QR code on the illustrations table of contents that leads to higher quality images online. The ePub version just has the higher quality images in it.

EDIT: and now I’ve read the other posts after that one. jhowell and Hitch are right.

I would love to be able to offer Kindle readers the full experience, but when we’re looking at delivery fees of $4.50 per book, on a $10 book, it’s just not happening. Adding the QR code was the best we could do, but a lot of people probably missed it because they didn’t look at the contents page.

I know the Big Five aren’t paying delivery fees. I asked our Amazon guy if there was any chance of us being able to get a non-KDP deal, and there just isn’t. Amazon is not making any new deals with publishers like those ones. It’s KDP or the highway.

At least our Amazon guy was able to swing us changing the book titles before release, after preorders had started, since we’re keeping the titles a surprise for those who want to not know. KDP’s automated review was having none of that.
Why does Amazon charge delivery fees based on the size of the eBook? If the delivery is on WiFi, there's no extra charge. The only way I can see Amazon maybe incurring a charge is if the eBook is delivered to a Kindle via cell data. And if that's the case, Amazon should just turn off the cell service for Kindles and srtop selling any Kindle with a cell modem.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:09 PM   #191
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Thanks, I put myself out on thin ice by not checking KFX.

I hope a Scribe owner checks whether Scribes are given higher resolution and lets us know the results.
Nope, same lower resolution on Scribe when getting the KFX with direct download.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 02:29 AM   #192
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The USA 2G is unrelated to Europe 2G (GSM) and is rubbish.
For what it may be worth, both GSM and CDMA were using in North America. It all depended on which cell provider you used which one was supported. Locally for example, Telus used CDMA while Rogers used GSM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 05:36 AM   #193
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Ah, Canada's Mighty Rodgers. But in USA there might have been only one or two small operators with GSM.

I watched the Documentary, Canadian Bacon. Does graffiti on trucks really have to be in French and English, or only in Quebec?

I did write USA in my post and I am somewhat ignorant of Canada. I've worked in three telecom companies (in Ireland) and worked / business trips to Orville Ohio, Pittsburg, Boston, New Jersey, Brooklyn and Manhattan. No tourist time.
I'm aware some things in Canada are the same and some different to USA and the USA isn't homogenous. Also Mexico is in North America and all I know about it is that some bits of it are now in the USA, there might be more Spanish and also real natives compared to USA. Not sure why Spanish isn't an official second language in the USA?
Old 04-29-2023, 05:42 AM   #194
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
The only way I can see Amazon maybe incurring a charge is if the eBook is delivered to a Kindle via cell data. And if that's the case, Amazon should just turn off the cell service for Kindles and srtop selling any Kindle with a cell modem.
People paid a lot extra for free cell / mobile access to Amazon on their Kindles for device lifetime, so they can't turn it off.

They could only charge for delivery to publishers/authors via Amazon cell/mobile. The present situation is unfair and if any publisher with deep pockets sued Amazon they might charge cell only. I can't see that happening.

We are stuck with it till there are no more free cell/mobile access Kindles.
Old 04-29-2023, 06:05 AM   #195
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
People paid a lot extra for free cell / mobile access to Amazon on their Kindles for device lifetime, so they can't turn it off.

They could only charge for delivery to publishers/authors via Amazon cell/mobile. The present situation is unfair and if any publisher with deep pockets sued Amazon they might charge cell only. I can't see that happening.

We are stuck with it till there are no more free cell/mobile access Kindles.
Well, most of those will be shut off anyway when 3G is dropped in the US. Amazon needs to do this so they have no excuse to play stupid games with hi-res graphics.