Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2020, 10:31 PM   #1801
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgurs View Post
What time is reading means..

How much time i used for each session..
For example
session1 :10 pages 8 minutes
Session2: 30 pages 18 minutes etc
To see if i increase my reading speed.
You want the stats for each reading session? And using that to measure you change in reading speed wouldn't be very accurate. There is far to many differences in the books for it to be useful. If that is what you are after, I thing you would be better to do an occasional test.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:56 AM   #1802
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Dear DNSB
But i am not sure if disabling the turnoff option is safe for the device health in long terms..0
I've been doing it since the Kobo Touch first hit the market. No problems.

Just don't leave it sitting uncharged and unused on a shelf for months.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2020, 12:30 PM   #1803
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Dear DNSB

Thank you for your advice..

But i am not sure if disabling the turnoff option is safe for the device health in long terms..0

Kobo Forma new user
This coming November (Thanksgiving), my H2O will be 6 years old. The battery is still doing rather well. I do not turn it off. I put it to sleep when not using and I keep an eye on the battery elev for charging. Also, turning you Kobo off/on too often can use more battery. It can also cause you to use the power button much more often and eventually wear it out. Because I have a sleep cover, I rarely use the power button.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:00 PM   #1804
ozgurs
Enthusiast
ozgurs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This coming November (Thanksgiving), my H2O will be 6 years old. The battery is still doing rather well. I do not turn it off. I put it to sleep when not using and I keep an eye on the battery elev for charging. Also, turning you Kobo off/on too often can use more battery. It can also cause you to use the power button much more often and eventually wear it out. Because I have a sleep cover, I rarely use the power button.
Dear JSWolf
If you say so. I am closing the turn off option from now on )

Thanks all.

Kobo Forma new user
ozgurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:47 AM   #1805
babygau
Enthusiast
babygau began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra h20
hi, is it possible to have brighter white text in night/invert mode while remain dark/black background?
babygau is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2020, 12:15 PM   #1806
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Dear JSWolf
If you say so. I am closing the turn off option from now on )

Thanks all.

Kobo Forma new user
I say so. I received my H2O on November 23, 2014. Which makes it 5 years 6 months in 6 days.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:17 PM   #1807
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygau View Post
hi, is it possible to have brighter white text in night/invert mode while remain dark/black background?
Only by turning up the front light.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:24 AM   #1808
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygau View Post
You can try turning the light up, as JSWolf says. Or try making the font bolder - it won't actually make the text "brighter", but it may appear brighter/whiter to the eye.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:26 AM   #1809
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Just in case this got lost in the discussion above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Currently, nothing happens when long-pressing a link. It would be nice if long-pressing a link would open it in the preview, similar to what happens when you use the scrubber.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:25 AM   #1810
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
As a new Kobo user, the biggest thing that I would request so far is for the TOC to open with the current chapter visible, or at least the beginning (page 1 of the TOC). Opening at the end seems like the worst default, but that's what my Clara always does.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:17 AM   #1811
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
As a new Kobo user, the biggest thing that I would request so far is for the TOC to open with the current chapter visible, or at least the beginning (page 1 of the TOC). Opening at the end seems like the worst default, but that's what my Clara always does.
I've never seen that. If I am reading and open the ToC, the current chapter is on the screen with a tick against it. What format are the books?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:37 PM   #1812
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I've never seen that. If I am reading and open the ToC, the current chapter is on the screen with a tick against it. What format are the books?

What's interesting is that now that I went back to test it I cannot reproduce it, but for the first few days that I used it it happened every single time -- it'd take me to page 25 or so of the TOC (always the last page).

That said, it was happening in kepub files, created with either Calibre or kepubify, mostly from epub or calibre news recipes, as well as Overdrive books downloaded w/ the Overdrive integration & sync (so presumably Kobo provided kepub files)

Of course, that's how it always happens... you complain about something and then it stops happening.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:42 PM   #1813
twowheels
Wizard

Just happened again. I just opened a book that I bought on Amazon prior to receiving my Clara. It was originally an azw3 file, liberated, then converted to kepub via Calibre. When I opened the book (first time ever) and went to the TOC (via the button on the bottom left of the progress pop-up) it's on page 14 of 14.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:56 PM   #1814
twowheels
Wizard

I have a few other feature requests that I just discovere while trying to test this further.

I moved a book out of my Kobo.com archive to try it with a fresh kobo official book, and discovered:

1. there's apparently no way to access my archived books from the Kobo itself. That's a bit annoying. Why doesn't the on-device store have a way to view the archive and restore books?
2. when doing a sync, OS updates are forced right then and there -- while it was nice to see that there was an update, it was unfortunate to be forced to wait just because I did a sync to download a book.

(and lest I sound like a complainer, the new Overdrive feature is nice [though to stay on the topic of complaining , it still only shows me one library, even though I'm logged into my Overdrive account])

The book that I just downloaded from my archive did start the TOC on page 1.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:27 PM   #1815
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Just happened again. I just opened a book that I bought on Amazon prior to receiving my Clara. It was originally an azw3 file, liberated, then converted to kepub via Calibre. When I opened the book (first time ever) and went to the TOC (via the button on the bottom left of the progress pop-up) it's on page 14 of 14.
There's been a long-term issue with books which do not have a one-to-one correspondence between HTML files in the book and TOC entries in the NCX/NAV file. Do you think this might be the source of your problem?

I've never noticed the problem you're describing with any of my epub/kepubs, but then again, I have made sure that all my books have a one-to-one TOC.

Unless things have changed recently, a book opened for the first time will open to the beginning of the first file listed in the NCX/NAV.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo