Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #166
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
There is some evidence that reading or hearing a word evokes some of the same sensorimotor responses as encountering that to which the word refers. This might not be visual - it could be to do with any of the senses, or with the motor program for interacting with the referent. And it doesn't necessarily need to be conscious - in fact it usually isn't. A guy called Rolf Zwaan has done a lot of interesting work on the topic - you can get access to a lot of his papers here.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #167
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
I do always see the action, it's colored, but silent. Even when 'wind whistles', I see the character hearing it; but the sound is like unheard alarm clock - I *know* it must have been there when I slept. It stays word on the paper. Visualization is for me totally unvoluntary and I can't turn it off even if I wanted to, in whatever language I read - if I understand it, I see it.
When I'm thinking back to some book, I remember the pictures I visualized and overall feeling.

But I think that I enjoy turn of phrase at least as much or even more. I laugh and feel with the story, but enyoy more *how* it is said.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #168
soothsayer
soothsayer began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin, astak the 2010 version plz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
I have been working in schools for years, but am currently going to college to get my teaching degree in English. In the past two years I worked closely with students in an English/Language Arts classroom and have noticed something by casual observation and questioning.

It seems that, often, poor readers do not 'see' what they are reading in their mind. They aren't making that connection in their brain and are too hung up on reading the words of a story. The good readers tend to picture the characters and action going on, just as if they were watching a movie.

this is merely poor education. when the so-called "poor" kids get more familiar and fluent with grammar, words, meaning, etc. they would be like normal readers; i.e., they just need to read more books, and make more (brain) connections between words and meanings.

....then their imagination will take over.
soothsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #169
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
According to those who study neurolinguistics, some see in the memory or imagination, some hear, some feel, and some use all modes.

If I read a book and I've already seen the movie, as I read I hear and see the actor. I read The Treasure of the Sierra Madre a few weeks ago and saw and heard Humphrey Bogart and the others. The book, incidentally, is quite different than the movie and, in my opinion, much better.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:12 AM   #170
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
...The book, incidentally, is quite different than the movie and, in my opinion, much better.
Why is it screen writers seem to feel obligated to change the plot of books when writing for a movie? Most of the time, they make it worse! I've had what could have been otherwise good movies ruined for me because of the changes. Some movies (Inkheart and Confessions of a Shopaholic are two that pop to mind) have had the plots changed so much, they are unrecognizable. I can see shortening a storyline to make it fit but wholesale changes? Inexcusable!
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 03:52 AM   #171
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer View Post
this is merely poor education. when the so-called "poor" kids get more familiar and fluent with grammar, words, meaning, etc. they would be like normal readers; i.e., they just need to read more books, and make more (brain) connections between words and meanings.

....then their imagination will take over.
Part of the problem that some less than fluent readers have is that they cannot make phonetic representations of the what they read. This is not because they have been badly taught it is because they simply cannot do it - it is a disability. Phonetic representation seems to be important for acquiring fluency in reading. Reading more books is not the answer - they will not acquire fluency that way. What helps is individual input to support these readers to develop alternative strategies to "compensate" for their inability to bridge the gap between the written word and meaning - which in "normal" readers is bridged by such phonetic representations.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:22 AM   #172
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I'd love to get my grubby paws on that just to copy the woodcuts, although the first shown appears to be from Jost Amman's Book of Trades, in which case I already have it. Is it available digitally?
not That i know, but after reading how you keep just one finger clean while you read I am thinking very badly of you. (which is a good thing no?)

I answer now only, because I overlooked it. i had an other avatar then.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #173
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
not That i know, but after reading how you keep just one finger clean while you read I am thinking very badly of you. (which is a good thing no?)

I answer now only, because I overlooked it. i had an other avatar then.
Depends what it is that is making my hands dirty. Food is good. Dirty from mucking out the bathroom, not so good.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote