Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #166
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchuan View Post
How do you perform a screen refresh? Would it be a fast workaround in case of sun spots?

Also trying to find out if the stylus can be used for tapping and navigation purposes all across the system UI and any Play Store app (I understand it only writes/scribbles on Onyx apps).

Thanks in advance - Very appreciative of all the frank advice here and keen to give back as soon as I get my hands on one of these devices.
I have set A2 on Nav Ball - this allows screen refresh to be carried out
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:14 PM   #167
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur
ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.

Device: Kobo Glo
Here's a great hour long review of this device https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ3H0fetMuM

Ignore this link, it's for the wrong product. But I'm sure the reviewer has one for the Nova 2 as he has all of the recent Booz devices.

Last edited by ilovereading.com; 07-09-2020 at 07:00 PM. Reason: mistake
ilovereading.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #168
raca339
raca339 is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox Nova2
It is for the wrong device.

The guy has made some videos for the Nova2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhwNIU-_YLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve3CXzO-A-w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agYz_3u0B2Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaEnd4VzYZM
raca339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #169
Sanchuan
Sanchuan began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2
Thank you all.

A2 on the nav ball is a good idea. Pleased to see you can use it to toggle system options as well as for app shortcuts.

The work put into that My Deep Guide youtube channel is invaluable. Inside-out, hands-on presentations and comparisons - and not a whiff of commercial motives behind. I had already watched one of his videos but am now caught up. I honestly feel like I've handled the device myself and can now make an informed purchase.

I think I saw you can add stardict dictionaries to the dict system file and have them show up natively in the reader app. Does anyone have any experience of using them on neoreader (or on koreader on nova2)? Unfortunately, I see neoreader dictionary lookups can't be shared to other apps, but at least they can be exported in batches in txt format.
Sanchuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:45 AM   #170
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
EDIT: I mistake the thread name!!! Sorry, I don't know how to deelte a posted message. [embarrasment]

Since a lot of time ago, I don't remember what device I had, but I decided not buy anything more from Boox because their "abandonware after new device is released", but recently I got a Poke 2 and... Well, software still sucks a lot, but having Android and then KOreader (that sucks by other reasons), FBReader (that works reliable enough) and other Android apps, well,

I like my Poke 2 a lot.

Last edited by rfog; 07-24-2020 at 04:47 AM.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2020, 08:19 AM   #171
mobir
mobir began at the beginning.

Device: none
battery questions

Does the Nova2 have the following features:

1) user replaceable battery?

2) battery charge thresholds control
mobir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #172
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobir View Post
Does the Nova2 have the following features:

1) user replaceable battery?

2) battery charge thresholds control
1 No
2 Don't know
elchamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #173
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchuan View Post
I think I saw you can add stardict dictionaries to the dict system file and have them show up natively in the reader app. Does anyone have any experience of using them on neoreader (or on koreader on nova2)? Unfortunately, I see neoreader dictionary lookups can't be shared to other apps, but at least they can be exported in batches in txt format.
I've installed stardict dictionaries that work with neoreader.
I set up Koreader to work with goldendict and use stardict dictionaries with it.
Unfortunately neoreader doesn't interface with external programs like goldendict, but I do it through the navball.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #174
garbanzo
bean
garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Nova 2
After a lot of research and deliberation, I just ordered a Nova 2. Looking forward to it!

I'm curious to know what limitations or missing features there are in the native reader that lead some of you to use 3rd party apps?
garbanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:08 PM   #175
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No invert mode is the biggest problem for me. I use Alreader.
Poor dictionary format support. Doesn't support *.bgl. Doesn't allow interface to dictionary reader that does.
Also does not appear on navball to return to.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 09-10-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:13 PM   #176
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Impossibility of disable hyphenation (or set the right one), plus inverted mode.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:15 PM   #177
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The 4 or 5 stardict dictionaries that I passed on to my new Boox Note 2, from my Kobo KOReader backup work well, in KOReader on the Note 2 (10.3"). I haven't tried adding them to Neoreader. Wikipedia works well, even the long press on images to see them at full screen.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:38 AM   #178
raca339

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
I'm curious to know what limitations or missing features there are in the native reader that lead some of you to use 3rd party apps?
I may be the only one here who actually like the native reader (called Neo Reader).
I used to have problem with fonts in Neo Reader: none of the hundreds provided pleased me, and selecting/testing downloaded ones was painful.
But with the latest firmware upgrade, fonts management is much smarter and I'm now using the standard Kobo font (Georgia which is easy to find on the net).

About dictionaries: I read in French and I installed a French dictionary. It's ok for my poor needs.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:47 AM   #179
raca339

And I can confirm that Neo Reader does not appear on the navball so it's not that easy to return to the book you're currently reading when coming from another aplication.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:31 AM   #180
Pajamaman
Wizard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaEnd4VzYZM

I have the Nova Pro. I notice on this video at 7.05 that the navball has 8 icons. My navball only has 6 icons. Does anyone know if the last FW update gives the navball 8 icons?