Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2017, 02:56 AM   #166
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I just realized that I've seen no discussion of the new "Manage books" function of the new firmware.

In "My Books" | Books view, tap the ... on the top line. Select the "Manage books" option. The screen will show a list of books on the device with a clickable box before each title. Mark the books you want to manage, and then at the bottom of the screen buttons exist to "Mark as" (read or unread), "Add to" (New collection or existing collection), and "Remove" (from device or My Books on website).
I hadn't noticed that yet, but I'm noticing progressively other neat little modifications which I like in this version (other than the essential improvement, the speed), like more details in the books list and the "go to page" at the bottom.

And unlike others here, I like the extra buttons at the bottom when reading a book (contents and parameters), maybe because I'm mostly reading on the One. I might find it a bit finicky in 6" readers.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:23 AM   #167
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I just realized that I've seen no discussion of the new "Manage books" function of the new firmware.

In "My Books" | Books view, tap the ... on the top line. Select the "Manage books" option. The screen will show a list of books on the device with a clickable box before each title. Mark the books you want to manage, and then at the bottom of the screen buttons exist to "Mark as" (read or unread), "Add to" (New collection or existing collection), and "Remove" (from device or My Books on website).
I have seen it and it would be nice... if I handled more than one book every time. And I like the new interface, too . And the subtitle in the book list, which allows me to remove the number of pages from the title (I disliked it but it was the only way to see the number of pages).

And, as they have repaired the bug that didn't shown the publisher, now I can put the collections a book is included into in the publisher field.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2017, 04:47 AM   #168
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It's look like Kobo stop the roll-out for Kobo Touch A/B/C.

https://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:25 AM   #169
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post

Interesting! That's the FW version I reverted to on my Touch due to the problems with the latest update. The problem that customer services advised I do a factory reset to fix.
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:16 AM   #170
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I hadn't noticed that yet, but I'm noticing progressively other neat little modifications which I like in this version (other than the essential improvement, the speed), like more details in the books list and the "go to page" at the bottom.
The "go to page" has always been on the book lists. It wasn't explicit, but if you tapped the page number, it opened the go to page dialog.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2017, 07:26 AM   #171
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post

As they did release 4.6.9995 for these devices, it might be because of the issues reported with the black margins when reading.

But, if they are dropping them, then it's not that surprising. It's been a while since they stopped selling them.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #172
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The "go to page" has always been on the book lists. It wasn't explicit, but if you tapped the page number, it opened the go to page dialog.
I know, and I've often used it (necessary with more than 3000 books on my devices), but I think it is a good idea to make it explicit. Kobo is a wonderful device if you spend time on this forum, and use Calibre and the plugins and patches developed by you all, but it is a pity so many out of the box options are not explained by kobo.

Do you know where I can find the way to activate the invisible option to save words and call them in the appropriate dictionaries? I don't remember how it is called, so can't search in the threads. I remember adding a couple of lines in a file (in a .conf file I think), but that One had to be exchanged. I also remember in the last F/W or so somebody saying it had improved, but even as was, I found it useful, especially with German where I tend to forget a word's meaning as fast as I look it up.

Edit: Another improvement: in the books and collections lists, the filter menu gives the number of books in each category (all, reading, unread, finished, imported and downloaded).

Last edited by anacreon; 10-25-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:48 AM   #173
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I decided to let my Glo HD update, which it finally did overnight. I became aware because it was noticeably zippier, so I checked the firmware.

I like some of the new bells and whistles in addition to the faster speed, but the home page is far less functional without the collection tiles. Being able to navigate to collections from the toggle is not as useful as having my most-accessed collections in one spot. Having my four most recent books tiled is probably good enough, however.

I made my Glo HD my guinea pig in part because it's not the workhorse my Aura One and H2O are and in part because the smaller screen didn't display as many tiles anyway. Which leads me to my point, and forgive me if it's been addressed. I turned my old Glo into a book repository by putting roughly 2,000 books on an SD card; I'm not using the internal storage at all. (I keep about 200 books on my readers in general use.) Would there be any particular advantages or disadvantages in this situation to upgrading, or any issues pertinent to the device in general?

As for the two larger devices, I'll probably sit on them for now (not literally), but I can see upgrading the Aura One eventually to take advantage of OverDrive integration; I missed that functionality when I turned the WiFi off for good.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:44 AM   #174
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Do you know where I can find the way to activate the invisible option to save words and call them in the appropriate dictionaries?
I'm guessing you mean adding the hidden feature
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
MyWords=true
in the config file .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf using a *nix-line-end-aware text editor.

I'm not certain, but it's possible you may also need to do a full Power Off/On afterwards.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #175
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm guessing you mean adding the hidden feature
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
MyWords=true
in the config file .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf using a *nix-line-end-aware text editor.

I'm not certain, but it's possible you may also need to do a full Power Off/On afterwards.
Thank you very much. It works fairly well (better in the H2o2 than in the One, not always reactive), except the "see in the book".
Old 10-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #176
ErikG
Enthusiast
ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: iRex DR800S, Kindle DX, Kobo H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage
Does anyone experience the same thing that looks like a bug to me in this and the previous firmware?

When I do a search there will be a window displaying the results.
When I tap long one of the results and choose 'view details' it does just that but when I exit it brings me back to 'my books' and not the search results page.
Very annoying.
ErikG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #177
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG View Post
Does anyone experience the same thing that looks like a bug to me in this and the previous firmware?

When I do a search there will be a window displaying the results.
When I tap long one of the results and choose 'view details' it does just that but when I exit it brings me back to 'my books' and not the search results page.
It's a question of where you tap. If you tap the x in the top right corner, it closes the search, so you go back to the wherever you started the search from. But, there is a return arrow in the top left corner. Tapping that returns you to the search results.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #178
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I decided to let my Glo HD update, which it finally did overnight. I became aware because it was noticeably zippier, so I checked the firmware.

I like some of the new bells and whistles in addition to the faster speed, but the home page is far less functional without the collection tiles. Being able to navigate to collections from the toggle is not as useful as having my most-accessed collections in one spot. Having my four most recent books tiled is probably good enough, however.

I made my Glo HD my guinea pig in part because it's not the workhorse my Aura One and H2O are and in part because the smaller screen didn't display as many tiles anyway. Which leads me to my point, and forgive me if it's been addressed. I turned my old Glo into a book repository by putting roughly 2,000 books on an SD card; I'm not using the internal storage at all. (I keep about 200 books on my readers in general use.) Would there be any particular advantages or disadvantages in this situation to upgrading, or any issues pertinent to the device in general?
I'm not quite sure how you are using this. Is it a way to backup all your books and have them portable and searchable? Then use the card and an available computer to get the book to one of the devices to read? If so, I'd probably say to use 4.6.9995. For that use, the home screen is unlikely to be important. And the performance improvements should be an advantage. And one of the improvements has been the import process. If you need to fiddle with a lot of books, that will be an advantage.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #179
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm not quite sure how you are using this. Is it a way to backup all your books and have them portable and searchable?
Portable, certainly. I don't want everything available on my workhorses as that presents too many options, but I thought it would be handy to be able to access a random whim on a device without having to sideload/download (and I'd disabled downloading because of the home screen).

Quote:
Then use the card and an available computer to get the book to one of the devices to read? If so, I'd probably say to use 4.6.9995. For that use, the home screen is unlikely to be important. And the performance improvements should be an advantage. And one of the improvements has been the import process. If you need to fiddle with a lot of books, that will be an advantage.
Thank you; I think you've identified the crux of the issue in regard to the homescreen on this device and I think you're right about the advantages of the new firmware. I did have some concerns about the functionality of the latest firmware on such an old device, whether or not it would cause some problems especially with its library on an SD card.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:37 PM   #180
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thank you; I think you've identified the crux of the issue in regard to the homescreen on this device and I think you're right about the advantages of the new firmware. I did have some concerns about the functionality of the latest firmware on such an old device, whether or not it would cause some problems especially with its library on an SD card.
I don't have an external SD card in my Glo, but I do in my Touch and my Aura H2O. I haven't seen any issues with the SD card. There was a problem in 4.4.x and 4.5.x, but that has been fixed in the 4.6.x versions.