Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-04-2015, 11:53 PM   #166
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZPuzzler View Post
Still waiting for mine. Ordered January 19, delivery expected between May 29, and July 6.

I found a new app that can work with the Echo to provide additional functionality. I am anxious to start playing.

http://blog.ifttt.com/post/117895146...-alexa-channel
Hope you get it soon. I use mine for music and the occasional weather report; and that's pretty much it. Right now, I'm listening to nature sounds.

IFTTT was added to Echo the other day. I've never used it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:08 AM   #167
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I just thought of another feature I'd like to see added - the ability to identify songs like Shazam does. Anyway, I sent them a request for it.
But...she already does this. (I just re-tested to make sure, because I thought I had used the feature before.) Streaming a radio station, I asked her "Alexa, who's singing?" and she identified the artist and song. Or do you mean having her listen to a song from another source (external radio / television) and then tell you what it is?
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2015, 12:46 AM   #168
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyFDR View Post
Or do you mean having her listen to a song from another source (external radio / television) and then tell you what it is?
This.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:29 AM   #169
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Welcome to the club

I'm listening to Prime Stations - 60s Rock. I'm glad PS was finally added.

Does your phone app work now?

Yes. When I went back to check, the phone app worked flawlessly. For whatever reason, I was unable to do the setup on the phone despite several attempts, but once I completed the setup on the iPad the Android phone app connected with no problem.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #170
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Oh duh the apps list Prime stations. I rarely use the Echo app on my phone or tablet. Decent selection! IFTTT has been sending me links to Kindle freebies for a while....time to finally use it for something else! The Echo timer is coming in very handy for icing my afflicted knee and reminding me to get up and hobble around.

Edited because of drug addled brain cells.:-D

Last edited by copyrite; 05-05-2015 at 04:18 PM.
copyrite is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2015, 03:54 PM   #171
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon Echo Club

I asked Alexa if she knew Watson and she said, "Watson. The place in Livingston Parish, Louisiana, USA." I think she's playing me. I think they're in cahoots.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:39 PM   #172
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Hooray!

I just created my first IFTTT recipe and it works! Has anybody else here played with that capability yet?

I say it works, but I must add that the formatting of the email Alexa sent leaves something to be desired.

Quote:
Shopping list as of May 8, 2015 at 09:20PM : skim milk,meat,potatoes,crackers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tom's first IFTTT recipe.png
Views:	266
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	138090  
Old 05-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #173
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Amazon Echo Club

My wife, after fussing at me for buying an Echo, has now pretty much taken over the beast. As I write this Alexa is playing country music for her. I have to wait for her to go to work to listen to my music or have her play audiobooks.

Alexa has a smart mouth her, too. I was experimenting with IFTTT to see if I could find a way to have her email my shopping list without having to ask her what's on the list. After all, sometimes I want to ask her what's on the list without having her send an email. I tried setting things up so she would do it when I said, "Alexa: Open the pod bay doors please, HAL." It didn't work. Instead she just said, "You're not in outer space, and my name isn't HAL." She sounded right snooty about it. I called her a name that will probably come back to haunt me when the machines take over the world.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #174
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I used this recipe

Try this IF Recipe:
Email yourself your Shopping List when you ask Alexa's what's on your Shopping List.
https://ifttt.com/recipes/284243?z=272878

It doesn't arrive right away.

Hmm.but I guess that's not what you want. Scratch that. :-)

Last edited by copyrite; 05-10-2015 at 12:59 PM.
copyrite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:55 PM   #175
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Besides being a great music player, the Echo is also a great sleep machine. When I go to bed, I have it play nature sounds from Prime Music. Amazon has a huge selection of albums to choose from. My favorite is rain. A very relaxing way to fall asleep.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #176
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Reorder select Prime-eligible items from Amazon

Quote:
If you're an Amazon Prime member, you can order most Prime-eligible items with your Amazon Echo.

Currently, you can order items you previously purchased from Amazon. To place an order, say the wake word followed by a request to order the item. For example, if you previously placed an order for laundry detergent, say, "Alexa, reorder laundry detergent.” If the item is eligible for purchase, Amazon Echo tells you the item name and cost, and then shows additional details about the item in the Amazon Echo App. When you want to place the order, say, "Yes."
Old 05-15-2015, 07:32 PM   #177
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I'd be a bit afraid to re-order items via Alexa. Today I asked her to place salsa on my shopping list and she replied, "Sausage added to shopping list." Generally her understanding is pretty good, but her ears aren't perfect.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:57 PM   #178
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
She 65℅ of the time gets it right and the other time she misses by a long shot.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:01 PM   #179
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

The Echo is diversifying. The only things I want from it are music, audiobooks and old time radio. I have no intention of using its other features.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:08 AM   #180
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I like that it is. I still would like more apps added. She still can't answer simple calendar questions.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote