Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Why do you prefer Kobo ereaders to Amazon ereaders?
Better store 7 4.19%
Better hardware 41 24.55%
More innovative products 34 20.36%
More open and customizable 120 71.86%
Better software 72 43.11%
Better support 9 5.39%
Better price 20 11.98%
Library access 53 31.74%
More accessible in my country 19 11.38%
I disagree with the direction Amazon's is taking with ereaders 51 30.54%
I disagree with Amazon's policy directions in general 74 44.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2022, 01:31 PM   #166
manitoukobo
manitoukobo began at the beginning.

Device: Aura HD, Aura One
natif support of epub format is mandatory for me
manitoukobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:41 PM   #167
chongjasmine
Connoisseur
chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
What is the advantage of really large memory? Huge quantity of books? Huge books (War and Peace etc.)? Just curious.
I have a hugh quantity of large books.
chongjasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2022, 05:52 PM   #168
Bembo
Enthusiast
Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I recently switched to Kobo last year (September 2021) after getting a Kobo Clara HD. Previously I had an old (2015 era?) Kindle Paperwhite that I bought in January 2020. The Paperwhite worked fine for me, and I read decently well enough on it; but the device definitely didn't have all the best features. For instance, it just barely got the 'book cover on sleep' feature before I switched out. And it being an older model, I didn't have dark mode.

I liked that the Kobo was in a similar price range but also had a better screen (way less chunkier bezels), more customization, options for different file types, etc. The native interface is perhaps not as polished and smooth as Kindle, but it works perfectly for reading books and for tinkering my reading experience just how I like it. Not only can I activate dark mode and comfort light while reading, but I can even play Sudoku on this thing. There are a few features I miss, like not being able to take screenshots (without some weird configuration and messing with the power button's function), the search word in book isn't always working right, etc.

Overall I quite like the experience -- I can organize my books just how I like them, and even the series show up properly to boot (with the right Calibre plugin, of course).

Last edited by Bembo; 02-06-2022 at 06:00 PM.
Bembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 01:16 PM   #169
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For me, I went with the Kobo Aura H2O because I wanted the larger screen and I liked some of the features it had. Plus it read ePub. So for me, it was a win-win.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:23 AM   #170
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
My local Walmart has a tiny display (only 2 models), They also have a small panel of 'book gift type cards'

IIRC when I was in the SF bay area, they did have more models (folk there also make more $ )
Both my readers were bought thru in store pickup (neither were models on display) Both reader say Kobo on the Bezel, BUT are clearly Walmart Branded on the screen.
I have not been inside my local walmart since covid started. Last time I went - They had one model and it was not even turned on. Half the book card space was empty.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2022, 11:13 AM   #171
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
I have not been inside my local walmart since covid started. Last time I went - They had one model and it was not even turned on. Half the book card space was empty.
I have 2 big Walmart within 20 Mi.
Sad to say, the stores vary immensely in what is in stock and ease of locating it.
(the Walmart app on my phone helps, but you need to know EXACTLY what you are looking for. That leaves out 'impulse shopping' or that will solve problem/gift 'Y'.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 03:53 PM   #172
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I have 2 big Walmart within 20 Mi.
Sad to say, the stores vary immensely in what is in stock and ease of locating it.
(the Walmart app on my phone helps, but you need to know EXACTLY what you are looking for. That leaves out 'impulse shopping' or that will solve problem/gift 'Y'.)
I haven't had much luck using store websites - for any store - to find something locally. Often they say the store has it but I get there and can't find it. Don't know if that means they just sold the last one and the system hasn't updated yet, or if maybe the item is still in the stockroom waiting to be put on the shelf, or what.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:33 PM   #173
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Supply chains are still challenged. I’ve never seen so many empty shelves as in the last couple of years.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 02:52 PM   #174
Nikoz
Enthusiast
Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
For me there are several reasons.
- epub support: I love using an open format, I can edit books and I don't need to juggle different formats
- space: I don't really need the whole 32Go of the Libra 2 but my Kindle had only ~1.3Go useable, that wasn't enough and I really appreciate not having to remove books when I want to put others on the Kobo
- collections/series management is just much better and easier on the Kobo
Nikoz is offline   Reply With Quote