Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #166
thoreau
Enthusiast
thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOA
I'm on the newest firmware and the Modified Home Screen is crashing anytime I try to go to the next page using either the hardware or software buttons. It simply says the application stopped, and allows me to force quit. Beyond that I can launch a book, but nothing else works.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #167
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
One thing to note here - installing the 1.0.04.12210 upgrade didn't remove the already installed Morkl versions of the apps (which I was pleasantly surprised at!).
Mine did (i.e. the reader app was overwritten with the new firmware's stock reader app.) So I had to reinstall Morkl's version. My T1 is not rooted and this is the only "mod" on it, if this makes any difference.
Advert
Old 02-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #168
thoreau
Enthusiast
thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

I just want to say that I think everything in this post and the Fonts post is tremendous, but I have been through hell and back for the past 12 hours, and nothing that everyone takes for granted is working for me. I have the modified reader, but cannot make use of the custom fonts or sizes. I cannot get adb working on my mac, cannot find many of the xml files.

Some simple documentation on how to set these things up step by step would be so appreciated it's not even funny.

Prs Plus was so much easier, I'm half considering going back to my 600... but the screen is so much nicer on the T1.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #169
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreau View Post
I just want to say that I think everything in this post and the Fonts post is tremendous, but I have been through hell and back for the past 12 hours, and nothing that everyone takes for granted is working for me. I have the modified reader, but cannot make use of the custom fonts or sizes. I cannot get adb working on my mac, cannot find many of the xml files.

Some simple documentation on how to set these things up step by step would be so appreciated it's not even funny.

Prs Plus was so much easier, I'm half considering going back to my 600... but the screen is so much nicer on the T1.
These modifications are still a work-in-progress, perhaps you should try to revert to to a "vanilla" Sony v1.0.04.12210 setup, using the "Rescue Set" for this version, until everything settles down. It can be found via this translated Russian forum thread.

As for the XML files. Assuming you mean the ones required for Morkl's modified apps, you need to create them yourself on your reader, by customising the samples provided in Morkl's installation packages. However, to the best of my understanding, if the relevant Morkl XML file is missing then the T1 should behave just like the standard Sony reader app would.

Lastly, I've no idea of your tech background, but if you're going to install hacks from multiple sources, especially if you're not comfortable with the level of detailed documentation, it's a good idea to make absolutely sure each hack is working perfectly for you before you install the next one. And always have a back-out plan before you start. I can't vouch for the "Rescue Set" for v1.0.04.12210 because I haven't used it, but the one for v1.0.03.11140 has worked perfectly for me when I needed it.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #170
j0534ng31
Connoisseur
j0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
And always have a back-out plan before you start. I can't vouch for the "Rescue Set" for v1.0.04.12210 because I haven't used it, but the one for v1.0.03.11140 has worked perfectly for me when I needed it.
This is always a good idea...

The "Rescue Set" for v1.0.04.12210 would work exactly the same as the old version... It contains a 'system' image (the same as the official v1.0.04.12210 Sony upgrade) plus a completely clean 'data' image (the original one, backed up from v1.0.00.something)
Advert
Old 02-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #171
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
Quote:
These modifications are still a work-in-progress, perhaps you should try to revert to to a "vanilla" Sony v1.0.04.12210 setup, using the "Rescue Set" for this version, until everything settles down. It can be found via this translated Russian forum thread.

As for the XML files. Assuming you mean the ones required for Morkl's modified apps, you need to create them yourself on your reader, by customising the samples provided in Morkl's installation packages. However, to the best of my understanding, if the relevant Morkl XML file is missing then the T1 should behave just like the standard Sony reader app would.

Lastly, I've no idea of your tech background, but if you're going to install hacks from multiple sources, especially if you're not comfortable with the level of detailed documentation, it's a good idea to make absolutely sure each hack is working perfectly for you before you install the next one. And always have a back-out plan before you start. I can't vouch for the "Rescue Set" for v1.0.04.12210 because I haven't used it, but the one for v1.0.03.11140 has worked perfectly for me when I needed it.

I've installed the Morki's mods on my PRS-T1, and I'm very impressed with his work. I like the no refresh mode when flipping pages in the default ADE reader app. It's implemented quite nicely, with very little loss in text quality.

However, I do have some questions, that I haven't been able to find the answers to.

How do I access the following settings; (in bold)

Main features
Home screen
Recently Added instead of Recently Read (will be made optional when I get around to do it)
Custom apps can be set on all buttons
Stock launcher page activated
Reader
Bold/italics bug fixed
Custom fonts in the font selector
Custom font sizes in the font selector
Custom CSS
Customizable number of page turns between screen refreshes

I can't seem to find the "font selector", nor can I find the option to set the number of page turns before the screen refreshes. I've looked everywhere.

I'd like to change my font to the ubuntu family of fonts.

Other than that, great, great work Morki.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #172
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayseidel View Post
How do I access the following settings; (in bold)

Main features
Custom fonts in the font selector
Custom font sizes in the font selector
Customizable number of page turns between screen refreshes
All those items are set in the file /reader/reader.xml in the T1 internal memory. There is a sample in the EbookReader download .zip file.

This is the contents of mine so you can compare & contrast with Morkl's sample.
Spoiler:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<reader pagesPerRefresh="3">
    <fontSizeTableEpub>
        <int>75</int>
        <int>80</int>
        <int>85</int>
        <int>90</int>
        <int>95</int>
        <int>100</int>
        <int>105</int>
        <int>110</int>
    </fontSizeTableEpub>
    <fonts>
        <font name="Amasis" regular="AmasisMTW1G.otf" italic="AmasisMTW1G-Italic.otf" bold="AmasisMTW1G-Bold.otf" bolditalic="AmasisMTW1G-BoldItalic.otf" />
        <font name="Amasis30" path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/" regular="Amasis30.ttf" italic="Amasis30-Italic.ttf" bold="Amasis30-Bold.ttf" bolditalic="Amasis30-BoldItalic.ttf" />
        <font name="Arno Pro" path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/" regular="ArnoPro.ttf" italic="ArnoPro-Italic.ttf" bold="ArnoPro-Bold.ttf" bolditalic="ArnoPro-BoldItalic.ttf" />
        <font name="Georgia EInk15" path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/" regular="GeorgiaEInk15.ttf" italic="GeorgiaEInk15-Italic.ttf" bold="GeorgiaEInk15-Bold.ttf" bolditalic="GeorgiaEInk15-BoldItalic.ttf" />
        <font name="Kindle Cond" path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/" regular="Caecilia_LT_67_Cond_Medium.ttf" italic="Caecilia_LT_68_Cond_Medium_Italic.ttf" bold="Caecilia_LT_77_Cond_Bold.ttf" bolditalic="Caecilia_LT_78_Cond_Bold_Italic.ttf" />
        <font name="Malabar" path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/" regular="Malabar.ttf" italic="Malabar-Italic.ttf" bold="Malabar-Bold.ttf" bolditalic="Malabar-BoldItalic.ttf" />
    </fonts>
</reader>

It assumes you are storing your non-built-in font files in /reader/fonts
Old 02-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #173
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Perfect, thank you Jackie. I don't foresee a problem getting ubuntu set up in ADE and changing the page turn # before refresh.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #174
tayseidel
Zealot

Got Ubuntu working in ADE. I've also changed the page refresh interval to 4. The font sizes though, are too large or too small. Which fontsize table do I need to modify? The epub section, or the upper most section?

Spoiler:
<fontSizeTable>
<int>57</int>
<int>76</int>
<int>88</int>
<int>100</int>
<int>116</int>
<int>131</int>
<int>176</int>
<int>229</int>
</fontSizeTable>
<fontSizeTableEpub>
<int>57</int>
<int>76</int>
<int>88</int>
<int>100</int>
<int>116</int>
<int>131</int>
<int>176</int>
<int>229</int>
</fontSizeTableEpub>
<fontSizeTableText>
<int>47</int>
<int>69</int>
<int>76</int>
<int>83</int>
<int>93</int>
<int>102</int>
<int>130</int>
<int>188</int>
</fontSizeTableText>
<fontSizeTablePdf>
<int>154</int>
<int>170</int>
<int>200</int>
<int>250</int>
<int>300</int>
<int>375</int>
<int>450</int>
<int>600</int>
</fontSizeTablePdf>
<fontSizeTableXmdf>
<int>67</int>
<int>84</int>
<int>92</int>
<int>100</int>
<int>117</int>
<int>125</int>
<int>167</int>
<int>200</int>
</fontSizeTableXmdf>
<fontSizeTableDotbook>
<int>77</int>
<int>87</int>
<int>93</int>
<int>100</int>
<int>108</int>
<int>118</int>
<int>133</int>
<int>150</int>
</fontSizeTableDotbook>
Old 02-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #175
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayseidel View Post
Got Ubuntu working in ADE. I've also changed the page refresh interval to 4. The font sizes though, are too large or too small. Which fontsize table do I need to modify? The epub section, or the upper most section?
To change the font-sizes in EPUB files, change the <fontSizeTableEpub> section. If you're not changing a table, you could delete it from the .xml file. The Sony defaults will then be used for that type of file. The values in Morkl's sample are the original Sony defaults I think.

Last edited by jackie_w; 02-04-2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #176
thoreau
Enthusiast

Quote:

That actually was helpful. It's the first time I've heard mentioned that the font xml file didn't exist anywhere else!

I'm quite comfortable with hacking, just with iOS, not android. It's a whole different world with jailbreaking and rooting. Not only is the terminology different, the access is just far different.

I'm pretty comfortable that nothing I've installed so far is in conflict with something else as I've only installed Morkl's custom adks and the minimal root package. I think what I may try is just doing the whole thing over, but now that I know how the fonts files have to appear, I feel a little more like it might work... we'll see.

Here's what my /reader/reader.xml file looks like: still nothing happening for me.

Spoiler:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<reader pagesPerRefresh="3">
	<fontSizeTable>
		<int>57</int>
		<int>66</int>
		<int>76</int>
		<int>82</int>
		<int>88</int>
		<int>94</int>
		<int>100</int>
		<int>110</int>
	</fontSizeTable>
	<fontSizeTableEpub>
		<int>57</int>
		<int>66</int>
		<int>76</int>
		<int>82</int>
		<int>88</int>
		<int>94</int>
		<int>100</int>
		<int>110</int>
	</fontSizeTableEpub>
	<fonts>
		<font name="CharisSIL" path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/" regular="CharisSIL.ttf" italic="CharisSIL-I.ttf" bold="CharisSIL-B.ttf" bolditalic="CharisSIL-BI.ttf" />
		<font name="GenBas" path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/" regular="GenBas.ttf" italic="GenBas-I.ttf" bold="GenBas-B.ttf" bolditalic="GenBas-BI.ttf" />
		<font name="LexiaDaMa" path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/" regular="LexiaDaMa.otf" italic="LexiaDaMa-I.otf" bold="LexiaDaMa-B.otf" bolditalic="LexiaDaMa-BI.otf" />
		<font name="NimbusMod" path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/" regular="NimbusMod.otf" italic="NimbusMod-I.otf" bold="NimbusMod-B.otf" bolditalic="NimbusMod-BI.otf" />
		<font name="Vollkorn" path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/" regular="Vollkorn.ttf" italic="Vollkorn-I.ttf" bold="Vollkorn-B.ttf" bolditalic="Vollkorn-BI.ttf" />
	</fonts>
</reader>

Last edited by thoreau; 02-04-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #177
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

I don't really know, but I see you only have 5 fonts defined. You could try adding the 6th, perhaps one of the built-in ones such as Amasis.
Where are you storing the external font files (Charis etc)?
You could also try a full shutdown and reboot?
Old 02-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #178
thoreau
Enthusiast

Quote:
I don't really know, but I see you only have 5 fonts defined. You could try adding the 6th, perhaps one of the built-in ones such as Amasis.
Where are you storing the external font files (Charis etc)?
You could also try a full shutdown and reboot?
I'll add Amasis back onto there. The fonts are in /reader/fonts/, but the way I see other .xml's is that you have to refer to that folder through ../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/
Old 02-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #179
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreau View Post
The fonts are in /reader/fonts/, but the way I see other .xml's is that you have to refer to that folder through ../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/
Yes, that should work.

I haven't tried it myself, but it's quite possible that you can use any directory you like in internal memory, to store the fonts as long as the blue bit of the variable in the <fonts> section
Code:
path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/"
is edited to match (case-sensitive).

Last edited by jackie_w; 02-04-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #180
thoreau
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, that should work.

I haven't tried it myself, but it's quite possible that you can use any directory you like in internal memory, to store the fonts as long as the blue bit of the variable in the <fonts> section
Code:
path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/"
is edited to match (case-sensitive).
Adding the sixth font kicked it in. Thank you very much for your help and patience.
Closed Thread