Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #166
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I'm interested in reading this thread, but my search skills failed me. I tried "kindle hyphenation" but couldn't find the thread you're referring to. Was "hyphenation" in the thread title? Additional keyword suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
I think it is this one https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=256131
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:24 PM   #167
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post

yes, that's the main one, I had unsubscribed from it as I think it's dead now, so I did not have an instant link to hand
i joined in as I was seeing a couple of recently bought books hyphenate when I did not want that to be happening. I was even going down the wrong route of looking for hidden soft hyphens , but it now seems that A. were just experimenting only with some books on some devices.

I hope that auto hyphenation is not going to become the new norm on Kindle, unless there's a user toggle to opt out of it.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #168
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As you'd know if you ever had actually done so, the haptic sensor is a lot larger than a physical button; you can press any point on the lower half of the bezel to turn the page.
That is not true for my Voyage. You can press 0.5 cm under the line marking the button. That is all.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #169
jemc
Quietly Lurking...
jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iDevices, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
That is not true for my Voyage. You can press 0.5 cm under the line marking the button. That is all.
Interesting, I can get a full cm below the mark on mine. Is there really that much variation?
jemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:45 PM   #170
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I don't get anything just below the next page buttons, I have to be in the line. But between the last page and next page, between the dot and the line, I can click either forward or backward, depending on which line/dot I am closer to.

I mean right above the line for a centimeter I go forward, 1 cm below the dot I go back. There is no deadspot on my Voyage between dot and line. Its all haptic. I actually just found that out when Harry posted what he did. Just to see. So the dot is much bigger on mine than just a dot. But nothing above the dot.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #171
jemc
Quietly Lurking...
jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iDevices, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I don't get anything just below the next page buttons, I have to be in the line. But between the last page and next page, between the dot and the line, I can click either forward or backward, depending on which line/dot I am closer to.

I mean right above the line for a centimeter I go forward, 1 cm below the dot I go back. There is no deadspot on my Voyage between dot and line. Its all haptic. I actually just found that out when Harry posted what he did. Just to see. So the dot is much bigger on mine than just a dot. But nothing above the dot.
I have page-back sensing a centimeter above the dots on mine. The area between the dots & lines on mine work the same as yours.
jemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #172
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Thanks Sirtel & Cybmole! That's an interesting and somewhat disconcerting thread.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:10 PM   #173
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I just turned the Page Press on on my Voyage and tried it. I have to be pretty much right on the button to get a page turn. That's true above the page back button and below the next page button. It's true on the left and the right.

Between the buttons is a dead spot except when I get almost to the previous page button.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:40 AM   #174
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
I just wish they had upgraded the Voyage with more Ram (and fixed the screen of course) and made it a bit more affordable...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:54 AM   #175
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
I just wish they had upgraded the Voyage with more Ram (and fixed the screen of course) and made it a bit more affordable...
What advantage do you think that having more RAM would impart to it? It already has double the amount of RAM that the old PW has (512MB vs. 256MB); the new PW has the same 512MB RAM that the Voyage has.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:08 AM   #176
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
What advantage do you think that having more RAM would impart to it? It already has double the amount of RAM that the old PW has (512MB vs. 256MB); the new PW has the same 512MB RAM that the Voyage has.
Ah, I was under the impression that the Voyage still had 256MB...
In that case: I wish they’d just fixed the screen and lowered the price of the Voyage. I'd have jumped at the 3G version for 199 Euros...

Another thing: does the new hyphenation apply to personal docs sent via mail as well? Will these be processed or at least, will docs newly uploaded get the hyphenation treatment?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #177
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
What's wrong with the screen on the Voyage?

It looks perfect to me. Its like lightyears better than my PW1. My PW1 to be fair has a pretty mottled, splotchy screen though. And it has that milky window effect that made reading on it difficult with the font sometimes looking darker in some spots and lighter in others.

My Voyage is totally even and clear. Not sure how much better it could be on that score. I think my eyes have now reached the maximum of pixels they can see. .

Its also pretty fast, especially compared to the PW1.

As to price? Would I have loved to pay a little less? Sure, who wouldn't. But it is what it is. I need what I need and I need a Voyage over a PW.
I must read.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #178
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
What's wrong with the screen on the Voyage?

It looks perfect to me. Its like lightyears better than my PW1. My PW1 to be fair has a pretty mottled, splotchy screen though. And it has that milky window effect that made reading on it difficult with the font sometimes looking darker in some spots and lighter in others.

My Voyage is totally even and clear. Not sure how much better it could be on that score. I think my eyes have now reached the maximum of pixels they can see. .
A few people are troubled by a top-to-bottom colour gradient on the Voyage's screen. It's probably there on all of them, but only a few people see it. I don't see it on mine, although I can demonstrate that it's there by photographing the screen and analysing the colours of the pixels.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #179
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
A few people are troubled by a top-to-bottom colour gradient on the Voyage's screen. It's probably there on all of them, but only a few people see it. I don't see it on mine, although I can demonstrate that it's there by photographing the screen and analysing the colours of the pixels.
I do not see it either and compared to my PW1 the screen is flawless.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #180
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
I have it on mine, its not obviously noticable unless you look for it and I will admit I would be tempted to upgrade if they fix the issue with the next iteration
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote