Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #166
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If you purchased the book(s) from Amazon, they should be able to send you azw3 - ask customer service.

Blotchy lighting with shadows?
That was a problem with the first run of the PW-1.
On the PW-3, that is a defective Kindle - tell customer service about it, they should be willing to replace it. (Buying it on sale doesn't change that.)
The PW-3s no longer have any shadows at the bottom? I thought it was just the way the frontlights are on the paperwhites, compared to the Voyage that have better lighting? The shadows are kind of faint, but still bother my eyes... although the main problem is the font.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Edit:

If by that you mean a K3 model (not a K1 or K2, which also have a keyboard). - - -

If you purchased the book(s) **before** the K3 firmware was updated to handle azw3, then the Amazon distribution system will be sending you azw format books.
(Also, if you still have the K3 set as your 'default' device.)

Do -
  • Check your account, see that the default device is your PW-3, not your K3.
    (This should be optional, but it may not be.)
  • Update your K3 to the most recent firmware (3.4.2 - which handles azw3).
    If it is jail broken, follow any jb instructions about preserving or replacing you jb.
    Sorry, device is too old, I don't recall the procedure - just check the 'legacy' jb thread header.
  • Remove one of the Amazon azw books and then re-download it from your account (with the K3, not with your PC).
    Again, device too old for me to recall the 'HowTo' do that on a K3.
  • Did that result in the book being updated to the latest publication and in the azw3 format?
    (I have never checked if the K3-3.4.2 firmware sends your firmware build id to the Amazon distribution 'bot so that you get the most recent supported book format. I have checked the PW-3, it is sending the firmware build id with the download request.)
  • Did all of that get you an azw3 formatted book?
    No - same as above - contact Amazon Customer Service.
Thank you for all of that advice. I have a K3. (Sorry, I forgot that the shorthand for the keyboard is by the version of it.)

I actually don't really care if I get the AZW3s on my K3, because the K3 font/size is perfect for me as is. I was really hoping the paperwhite would look like my K3, but sharper and with a nice frontlight.

I choose which device to deliver to, since I have the two Kindles and the Kindle4PC on my account. I just thought there might be a setting somewhere that will default to always sending AZW3s.

I think I am going to have to send it back though. It makes my vision blurry to read on it for even a short while.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #167
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
I just thought there might be a setting somewhere that will default to always sending AZW3s.
There is, choice:
  1. Send only to your PW-3.
  2. Update your K3 to the latest firmware and send to either.

Note: the ones that are currently not azw3, you will have to re-download from your amazon account, per above.
You may or may not need the help of Amazon Customer Service.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #168
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some still send as AZW to my paperwhite though. Maybe due to publication date or publisher?
Old 11-13-2015, 01:41 PM   #169
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
My post seems to have slipped by.

Yes, it is most likely the publication date.
If a book was NOT submitted as a dual-MOBI (current kindlegen output since AZW3 was developed), Amazon won't have an AZW3 to send you, and you will only get MOBI.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #170
blue_skies
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

If a book was NOT submitted as a dual-MOBI (current kindlegen output since AZW3 was developed), Amazon won't have an AZW3 to send you, and you will only get MOBI.
Oops, sorry about that, Eschwartz! Thank you for confirming that for me.
Advert
Old 11-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #171
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
All Readers I have seen with a front light have a shadow at the bottom of the screen. That's just the nature of the beast.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #172
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

Then the notices on Amazon about how they are going to re-process their books only means "re-process to KFX" not to AZW3 also?
Old 11-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #173
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, maybe they will reprocess and create AZW3. (For gosh sakes, how hard is it? calibre coverts MOBI ==> AZW3 just fine, if you don't count the mobi7 cruft, works just as well as an AZW3 as it did as a MOBI, plus it supports the new internal file structure and can then be enhanced, edited, updated cover, etc...)

Maybe they haven't gotten to all books yet.
(This one isn't a maybe. You can still get some books as KFX, some as AZW3.)

Maybe they won't reprocess those old books at all.

Who knows -- why don't we wait and see.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-13-2015 at 02:29 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #174
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
All Readers I have seen with a front light have a shadow at the bottom of the screen. That's just the nature of the beast.
My Voyage has no shadow at the bottom of the screen. My PW1 has a slight shadow, but it's not annoying.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #175
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Ah, but you don't own any Kindles.

Some of my PW-1's have a minor shadow at the bottom of the screen (between leds), some don't (depends on the production run).

My KT2 and PW-3 do not have any shadow (they have that problem sorted out).

If you do have a "newer than PW-1" with a shadow(s) at the bottom of the screen **it is** defective - return it for exchange.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:40 AM   #176
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
I have a Kindle Voyage, and need a new font size between smallest size and next, but my english is very poor and don´t know how make it.

Can anybody help me?, what series of numbers could I used for it?
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #177
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
I have a Kindle Voyage, and need a new font size between smallest size and next, but my english is very poor and don´t know how make it.

Can anybody help me?, what series of numbers could I used for it?
There are a number of examples in this thread.

Since you have a new model, I suggest that you work backward through this thread, and try the most recent examples first.

The file is a simple text file, one line only, end-of-line does not matter (it is being read by Java).
Old 11-19-2015, 10:56 AM   #178
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Thanks knc1,i'll try it.
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #179
tiandijie
tiandijie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
since this tweak works so perfectly, I wonder if there is a similar trick to apply to the dictionary pop-up window and the foot-note pop-up bar, since both of thier appearance in pop-window on my Kindle Voyage seem irrelevant to the specific css settings.
tiandijie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:06 AM   #180
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiandijie View Post
since this tweak works so perfectly, I wonder if there is a similar trick to apply to the dictionary pop-up window and the foot-note pop-up bar, since both of thier appearance in pop-window on my Kindle Voyage seem irrelevant to the specific css settings.
I've made my dictionary font really large (maybe too large) by editing a jar, so I know it's possible. I just don't remember which jar and which values.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1448345172376.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	144043

ETA: I think the dictionary font size is determined by one of the sizes in FONT_RAMP or jar equivalent. Maybe the fourth or fifth, I don't know which exactly. You'll need to experiment.

Last edited by Barty; 11-24-2015 at 01:48 AM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font_ramp