Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-16-2024, 07:40 PM   #17761
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
The high temperature for the day was 29°F. It snowed from last night into this morning. We were forecast to get 3 to 4 inches -- we actually got about 2 inches of light, powdery snow -- which promptly collapsed and became icy. The daytime high temperatures are not expected to get above freezing until possibly next Monday or Tuesday.

We live on the face of a ridge and the street is just above the level of our second floor windows, so we have a routine -- I drive the cars out of the driveway and up to the street and we park at the curb. Actually, so does everyone else at our end of the street. The slope of the driveway faces southwest, so the sun actually helps a lot in deicing the blacktop, but this early in the year the sun is still too weak to help much.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 01:34 AM   #17762
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Now it is 21 degrees F. in New York City. It was 23 while I was out after I swam at the health club. It snowed last night throughj a good part of the night, but I think there is less than an inch in Central Park. It was cloudy all day. No drifts that I can see, but I walked on some sidewalks that were only partially shoveled or plowed. 10th Avenue, as usual, is very bad. I did not have to wear boots though.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2024, 01:30 PM   #17763
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The weather folk should have stuck with their original forecast. Currently I have 22cm of snow on the back patio with more still falling. I am very happy that I don't have to go out today since the traffic station has—again—pulled out snowmageddon to describe the traffic.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 01:43 PM   #17764
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
32 F, bright sun, gusty - took an after lunch walk - forgot my scarf - my nobe is fwozen
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 01:49 PM   #17765
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Considering the number of times you have reported a cold nose, you might want to consider a sign on your front door. Something like "Remember your scarf and gloves!".
Advert
Old 01-17-2024, 03:17 PM   #17766
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Considering the number of times you have reported a cold nose, you might want to consider a sign on your front door. Something like "Remember your scarf and gloves!".
Scarf has been placed in the hood of my winter parka - should solve the nasal dilemma
Old 01-17-2024, 04:38 PM   #17767
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Still snowing here. Current patio measurement is 32cm. The front sidewalk has added about 7cm after I shovelled it earlier.
Old 01-17-2024, 05:17 PM   #17768
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The high temperature for the day was 23°F. We had some sun, but it wasn't strong enough to do anything but make the ice worse. I was out with a heavy "square head" shovel, breaking the ice up where I could, but the bottom of the driveway is fairly level and has a coating of glare ice that doesn't come up. I salted it, but it's not going anywhere.

We do, however, have two tracks going up the driveway, so my wife can bring her car down. Mine is still up on the street.

We're due for another couple of inches of snow on Friday before we get above freezing again.
Old 01-19-2024, 02:58 AM   #17769
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Currently, 9 am, it's -1.5℃ with a partially cloudy sky, which is looking beautiful with blues, pinks, purples and a little bit of yellow. I should get sunny later on this morning and today's maximum temperature 4℃. Overnight it has snowed, a couple of centimeters. It wasn't predicted and it does explain why the pupils from the two secondary school across the street were a lot more noisy than normal.

From Sunday temperatures are going up again and on Monday another storm with hard winds and a lot of rain is forecast. Most of next week it'll be between 10℃ and 13℃.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 03:56 AM   #17770
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Our high was 33 degrees F. today and that was in the evening. It was in the 20s during the day and only 21 in the morning. We are expecting snow for Friday, 1-3 inches here in New York City, more south of us.

It's 30 degrees F. now at 4 AM.
Old 01-19-2024, 04:22 AM   #17771
cromag

We briefly hit 34°F this afternoon, with some sun through the clouds. I was able to break up and shovel away more ice, but there were still some thick ice patches on the slope going up to the road.

I had to go out to the stores tonight to stock up. One of them was Costco, so there was a lot to bring in. Rather than carry it down from the street in a series of trips I decided to risk bringing the van down the hill. I made it down just fine and unloaded, but when I tried to get back to the street the van couldn't get past the last icy spot. So, the van is in the driveway, back down at the bottom. I don't anticipate getting it out until Tuesday at the earliest.

My wife's car is still on the street, so we're not marooned. But that's how the weather is affecting me today.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:19 AM   #17772
mlewis78
Guru

The snow in the city on Friday amounted to almost nothing. I went out in the evening to Target (walked) and saw no new snow on the street or sidewalks. The temp then was 27 degrees F. Now at 7:15 AM it is 18 degrees.

I live in an old building where we have no control over the heat. There is a boiler in the basement that is now programmed to go off after about a half hour of it being on. The control of the boiler is in the managing agent's office in another neigihborhood. I have contacted the agent a few times, but nothing has been done to improve it. It dropped to 67 twice in the past two weeks for a short while during the day. That is against regulations. It is almost always about 68 or 69 and feels colder to me.
Old 01-21-2024, 06:17 PM   #17773
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Scarf has been placed in the hood of my winter parka - should solve the nasal dilemma
I got to tell you, we had a stomach bug in the house this weekend. I went down to Weaver Street Market right there at the mouth of the Eno River Park and saw a pack of about 40 folks about to set out for a day hike at 8ish Saturday AM when it was still 15 degrees...
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 06:27 PM   #17774
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I got to tell you, we had a stomach bug in the house this weekend. I went down to Weaver Street Market right there at the mouth of the Eno River Park and saw a pack of about 40 folks about to set out for a day hike at 8ish Saturday AM when it was still 15 degrees...
I was able to get some walking in today - temps positively sizzled in the 40's F - now plummeting on their way into the 20's F for tonight.
Even with scarf in place, I don't walk in temps < 20 F - too old for that 'brave the elements' stuff.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 01-21-2024 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:21 PM   #17775
cromag

We're on the verge of emerging from our deep freeze. The high temperature this afternoon was 31°F. We had full sun today, bur it's still not strong enough to make a big difference so we still have some thick ice on the driveway. Tomorrow we're supposed to hit 40, and by the end of the week we should be in the low 60s. The warmth will be welcome, but these huge swings are dangerous.

Tags
clouds and lightning and, hugo and lefty