Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-26-2017, 05:35 AM   #1741
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The new firmware does have it. You turn it on via an option in the config file.
Oh it's really a good new !!! I think you are talking about 4.3.8842, I'm going to watch what are fixes and new features and if it runs on a glo not HD.

Last edited by akorx; 02-26-2017 at 06:18 AM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:56 AM   #1742
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Well, I've updatd my Glo in 4.3.8832... I've still have the old home screen but it's not a problem.

I've add this line in the config file in order to use the nightmode plugin :

[FeatureSettings]
InvertScreen=true

And it works !

But 3 things :

1. with the old nightmode plugin I was able to jump between daymode (white screen) and nightmode (black screen) with the light button doing a long press on the light button.
Now how can I do to switch between the 2 modes ? I can't find a toggle under "Reading Settings" ! for devices who have a physical button to turn on the light, it could be a good thing to keep the ancient solution : a short press turn on/off the light, a long press switch between the day/night mode...

2. If I completely stop and start my device : the night mode is used (it's the InvertScreen=true setting seen before). If I go to sleep mode, the night mode dissapears and it require a new stop and start to come back !!!

3. If I go to sleep mode twice, I have got an empty screen... perhaps it doen't come from the nightmode feature ?

Here is a video where we can see the point 1. and 2. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl5nQrwU_n8

Last edited by akorx; 02-26-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Advert
Old 02-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #1743
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think it's safe to say that the built-in nightmode is a work-in-progress and is not finished yet. One of the missing pieces is a UI. However like many other of the hidden features there is no guarantee they ever will be polished and released.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #1744
akorx
Addict

I understand that this new nightmode is a beta and by definition not finished, it's already a good thing to have added this feature directly in the FW because many people read in their bed on evening !!!

I hope there will be quickly a toggle in the UI, I think it's not difficult to add one.

For devices who have a light button, a good solution seems to be the one used by kevinshort : a short press turn on/off the light, a long press (example 800 ms) switches between the day/night mode...

I hope too that they will find the reason why the parameter is disabled after an use of sleep mode and the reason why we have an empty screen if we use it twice.

Last edited by akorx; 02-26-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:20 PM   #1745
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
I understand that this new nightmode is a beta and by definition not finished, it's already a good thing to have added this feature directly in the FW because many people read in their bed on evening !!!

I hope there will be quickly a toggle in the UI, I think it's not difficult to add one.

For devices who have a light button, a good solution seems to be the one used by kevinshort : a short press turn on/off the light, a long press (example 800 ms) switches between the day/night mode...

I hope too that they will find the reason why the parameter is disabled after an use of sleep mode and the reason why we have an empty screen if we use it twice.
If Kobo go ahead with this, and I think it's a fairly big if, I am sure they will have a UI option to turn it on and off. And I am sure whatever method they use will be loved by some, and hated by others. And a bug such as the sleep mode turning it off isn't going to get past any sort of real testing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #1746
imkh
Enthusiast
imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
New Nightmode

Withdrawn - off-topic in this thread.

Last edited by imkh; 02-27-2017 at 01:40 AM.
imkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:26 AM   #1747
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a comment about the last few posts (including my replies): They are off topic for this thread. This thread was started to let people know how to download the firmware when it was updated. Discussion of what firmware is available, how to install it and if it is available for a particular device is on topic. Discussion of bugs or features should take place in the discussion thread for the firmware version. Or a separate thread for that bug or feature.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:39 AM   #1748
imkh
Enthusiast
imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.imkh is the One.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hi davidfor you're right, it's off-topic, I've deleted my post. I was actually a bit surprised to realise that it was posted here, thought it was in another thread.
imkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #1749
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
delete
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #1750
akorx
Addict

Hi davidfor,

I totally agree with your point... I'm sorry, you are write : I often do my notes here and it's not the good place, I will try to be carefull !
Old 03-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #1751
kmtouch
kmtouch began at the beginning.

Device: PW
I recently switched my reader from Kindle to Kobo aura one and I got disappointed due to firmware problems.
I am using 4.2.8283 version, appreciate any one who can advise on the following issues:
1) latest version yet to be available for my Kobo.
2) wifi is almost garbage in my device, more than 1000 attempts you might get it connected!
3) while reading pdf's it happens to stos on an page and won't go forward!
4) after PC disconnected, sometimes it doesn't show the uploaded files!

shall I return my device?

Last edited by kmtouch; 03-03-2017 at 03:40 PM.
kmtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:22 PM   #1752
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmtouch View Post
I recently switched my reader from Kindle to Kobo aura one and I got disappointed due to firmware problems.
I am using 4.2.8283 version, appreciate any one who can advise on the following issues:
1) latest version yet to be available for my Kobo.
2) wifi is almost garbage in my device, more than 1000 attempts you might get it connected!
3) while reading pdf's it happens to stos on an page and won't go forward!
4) after PC disconnected, sometimes it doesn't show the uploaded files!

shall I return my device?
There is a new firmware out (4.3.8871). Wait until you get that and see how things go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:06 AM   #1753
kmtouch
kmtouch began at the beginning.

Device: PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a new firmware out (4.3.8871). Wait until you get that and see how things go.
Thank you, I hope this version tackles these problems.
I am out of Canada for couple of months, so I emailed them particularly about wifi issue, seems they're already aware of this issue.
Normally since I have no wifi, I shall connect to PC to be updated through Kobo app on Windows, the difficulty is it doesn't show when update package is available to download. I must reset the device and setup again, if there's anything for update it will install on KA1. This is silly.
Do you guys have any idea?
kmtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:07 AM   #1754
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Normally since I have no wifi, I shall connect to PC to be updated through Kobo app on Windows, the difficulty is it doesn't show when update package is available to download. I must reset the device and setup again, if there's anything for update it will install on KA1. This is silly.
Do you guys have any idea?
Well, my firmware download process probably won't work for you, but just in case...

I use my iPad to download the correct firmware (from the announcement link posted here) and save it in my SanDisk™ Connect Drive app's download folder, turn that drive on, and watch for it to connect to my network. Then I move the firmware from the app's download zone over to an "uploads" folder on the drive. Next time I turn on my laptop or my netbook, I just plug that drive and the Kobo in, back up the Kobo in case something goes wrong, back up the Kobo's database on the Kobo itself as a second form of protection, and then unpack the firmware ZIP file into the .kobo folder. Eject the reader, let it do its thing, and if all goes well, plug it back in and make a fresh backup to replace the one I just finished. This also gives me a chance to set the drive letter again, since Win10 doesn't realize that this is the same reader with updated firmware.

The uncommon part of that, of course, is the special wifi-enabled USB stick. However, if you've got one of those USB OTG drives that'll plug right into whatever mobile device you're reading this on, it oughta work in a similar way.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:48 AM   #1755
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you, I hope this version tackles these problems.
The 4.3.8871 firmware is to fix a problem with collections. These were sometimes being cleared when a sync was done with the previous release. There might other changes, but, we don't know what they are.
Quote:
I am out of Canada for couple of months, so I emailed them particularly about wifi issue, seems they're already aware of this issue.
I can't say I've seen any bad problems with WiFi reported for the Aura ONE. Especially not as bad as you are stating. I'd suggest starting a thread to discuss it as someone might have an idea.
Quote:
Why do you have to reset the device? If there is an update, the desktop application should download it and copy it to the device. If there isn't an update, then it should only sync some books and nothing else.