Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #151
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
About the opening sentences... I rather liked this one (although it's probably not a classic yet):

The man who was not Terrence O'Grady had come quietly.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #152
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
With a long book the translation is very important. I had also tried a few times before finally succeeding with the Garnett translation. Highly recommended.
I'm glad someone raised that point. A little unfair to slam a book too much when it's been through the translation mill, as so much depends on the skill of the translator. I haven't met too many Russians who don't like this book (or any of the great Russian novelists).

Another good example of translation-itis is "The Count of Monte Cristo," with the newer (and fuller) translation of Robin Buss leaving the older and abridged versions in its wake (IMHO).

Last edited by orwell2k; 09-25-2009 at 10:24 AM.
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #153
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
Another good example of translation-itis is "The Count of Monte Cristo," with the newer (and fuller) translation of Robin Buss leaving the older and abridged versions in its wake (IMHO).
I must disagree with you about that. I find the use of "modern" language in the Buss translation "jarring". The older, anonymous, 1846 translation which most English editions still use is not so much abridged as slightly censored to remove sexual content which would have been unacceptable to a British Victorian readership. There is indeed a commonly-encountered abridged version (published in one volume rather than the original two), but that's an abridgement of the 1846 translation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #154
Heather Parker
Nameless Being

I'll probably get shot for suggesting this but is there anyone else who doesn't enjoy Shakespeare? Maybe it's because we're forced to read it in such detail when we're at school but my mind just drifts...
I'm in the UK - do you all have to read it in school in the US too?
Heather
Old 09-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #155
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I don't know much Shakespeare. I just remember watching a series (from the BBC maybe?) of televised plays on Sundays when I was a teenager. They were shown in original version and subtitled, which probably wouldn't happen now. I enjoyed them, especially The Tempest. I think I saw that one twice... no, wait, the second time was the movie by Peter Greenaway (I think), which I also loved.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #156
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Parker View Post
I'll probably get shot for suggesting this but is there anyone else who doesn't enjoy Shakespeare? Maybe it's because we're forced to read it in such detail when we're at school but my mind just drifts...
Heather
I have something of a love-hate relationship with Shakespeare, and have had since school. Take Hamlet, for example. For quotable lines to make a point with, it's brilliant. The plot's halfway decent (although Rosencrantz and Guildernstern are Dead is far, far superior ), too. But amongst other complaints he takes so sodding long to die at the end (a point I made rather strongly in an essay on why Hamlet was considered a tragedy. Fortunately my English teacher not only understood, but actively rewarded, sarcasm)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #157
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I couldn't get past the 50th page. I may be the last person alive to have not read Tolkein! (Nor bothered to see the movies!)

Stitchawl
Fear not - you are not alone

I've always wondered if the whole thing really kicks off on page 80 or something . . .
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:31 PM   #158
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediax View Post
I've always wondered if the whole thing really kicks off on page 80 or something . . .
Nope. Nor page 800, for that matter... (imo, obviously )
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #159
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I like Shakespeare....in play form. Not for reading.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:36 PM   #160
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
My son had the same feeling about Shakespear. "Dad, why do they have to talk like that?!? I can't relate to that at all and it loses my interest before I even get started!"

So I took him to 'see' Macbeth,' (which is my personal favorite) but done as a modern military story, i.e. the characters were wearing modern camo clothing, helmets, etc., but using the same wording as was written. The witches looked like 'bag ladies.' He was sucked into the story from the opening scene.

He had formed a mind set about Shakespear that locked out reality simply because of the language. If you doubt this can happen just imagine this; how many of you realize that Thoreau was being incredibly humorous in his writing of 'Walden.' Most people think Walden is dryer than dirt! It's actually very, very funny once you realize that Thoreau was being quite tongue-in-cheek much of the time!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #161
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
The Last of the Mohicans (James Fenimore Cooper). School assigned, and ARGH!!! The pain, the pain...

I do though love Tolstoy, although it's been quite a while since I've read him.

Re the "n-word": at the nearly 100% African American inner city high school where I teach, use of the word is prohibited. Kids are made aware of both sides of the issue, but the school district comes down on the side of not using it.
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:00 AM   #162
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Heather
When I was in grade 9 my English teacher didn't just make us read The Merchant of Venice, he went right through the whole history of the period, created good discussions, and we really spoke as a group about the story as we read it as well as when we watched the movie. In grade 10 I was so excited about doing Shakespeare given how much I enjoyed it the previous year. Well we did Hamlet....well watched the movie and the teacher that year described a few things and that was it, took us 2 lessons. Was so disappointed. So I've found that since reading Shakespeare that I have really enjoyed it if I do more than just read the story. To me Shakespeare is to be read and enjoyed and experienced, not just read from cover to cover and think to yourself "What did I think of that?"
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:49 AM   #163
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Heather
That's the problem with Shakespeare - children are "force fed" him in school, and put off for life. Shakespeare did not write for children.

My advice would be to go and see a really good production of one of his "lighter" comedies - "As you like it" or "A comedy of errors", perhaps. I think you'll quickly change your mind about him.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:29 AM   #164
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's the problem with Shakespeare - children are "force fed" him in school, and put off for life. Shakespeare did not write for children.

My advice would be to go and see a really good production of one of his "lighter" comedies - "As you like it" or "A comedy of errors", perhaps. I think you'll quickly change your mind about him.
I think many children of our generation were "force fed" too many books before we were ready for them.

Oh, how I hated "A Tale of Two Cities" as a 13 year old, but have since re-read it several times as an adult. Same with "Great Expectations," "Julius Cesare," "Macbeth," and "Jane Ere." (Confession... I didn't particularly enjoy 'Jane Ere' as an adult either, but at least I did finish it. ) As an adult I can re-read all of these. As a young teenager it was pure pain and almost put me off reading for life. Where was the supposed joy in reading? I can't remember a single book read for school between the ages of 12-17 that I enjoyed or for that matter even finished!

Many years later I spent a year as a teacher in a private boarding school teaching Senior English. I gave the students a list of about 8 different books for us to choose from, with synopsis of each, and group discussions about the books so 'THEY' could take responsibility for what they read. They chose well, everyone actually read the books (instead of the Cliff Notes) and we had some lively classroom debates and discussions about them. For the first semester they read "Sidhartha," and during the second semester they chose "Stranger in a Strange Land." They also read lots of poetry and performed a 'Reader's Theater' of Macbeth for the school. Considering that these were a bunch of druggies who had been thrown out of several other private schools before winding up there, I think they did damned good!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:36 AM   #165
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm grateful we did Shakepseare at school ('King Lear' in my case). Like Solicitous, our (brilliant) teacher took us on an exploration of Elizabethan life and thought, it was thrilling! I think I got far more out of studying it then, than I would going cold to it as an adult.

The idea that schoolchildren should only study books written for children seems a bit odd.

Last edited by Sparrow; 09-26-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote