Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-15-2020, 01:01 PM   #151
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
<snip>
In contrast, what protection does an ebook stored in Amazon's cloud drive have? Do you know where it is stored? Who has access to that data? How is it protected from unauthorized access? Plus a miserly 5GB of storage?
You can store as much as you want at Amazon (or others). It is just not for miserly users, who want it for free .

When the 'cloud' first popped on scene, I wondered: "Why is it NOT a copyright violation to store Books, Music or Videos that you do not own the copyright, out there, where you also do not have 100% CONTROL of the access".

That NAS sitting on my desk, is in my house, on my private (or isolated) network and is more secure than when stored at some server farm, someplace, run (operator) by who knows, on a shared network. and might not be backed up or the RAID well maintained (been in many a server farm with RAID fault LEDs showing and the tech is waiting for a work ticket from above)

BTW a private (purpose built) NAS also has the ability to switch to lower power mode when idle, because, with limited users, it will have idle
periods.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:46 PM   #152
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The correct answer to the original question is...

no.
The CORRECT Answer to the original question is, "It depends on how you define best".

I'm a big fan of KU, and the tons of additional free stuff I can read. My Voyage is convenient to use, but all of the infrastructure advantages can be extended to my Pixel Smartphone and my Samsung Tablet. I don't care about all the tech stuff, I want to just read when I feel like reading with whatever I have to read with.

For me, Kindle is best.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #153
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
The correct answer to the original question is...

no.
Well, we have the short answer and the correct answer, but the newly revised answer is, of course.......

YES. [The OP's thread title.]

But then, all I know is what my Drill Sergeant told me long, long, ago, about opinions.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-17-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:55 PM   #154
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Well, we have the short answer and the correct answer, but the newly revised answer is, of course.......

But then, all I know is what my Drill Sergeant told me long, long, ago, about opinions.
It's not an opinion. It's fact. I don't know which Reader is the best. But I do know Kindle is not it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:41 PM   #155
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's not an opinion. It's fact. I don't know which Reader is the best. But I do know Kindle is not it.
Ahhh, you want facts! Now I understand.

Well, my Drill Sergent had one for that, too. We were standing in the mess hall at the end of a hard day of basic training, waiting for our food, and my Drill Sergent walked up to me and said, "Broyles, do you know everything you eat turns to S**T ?" And he was right!

Now that's one hard fact, sort of like the Kindle being the correct answer and not that other one called....oh, darn....what's the name of that other reader?
Advert
Old 06-17-2020, 08:21 PM   #156
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Sorry, Jon, but that is your opinion and repeating it multiple times does not make it a fact. If you've read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, you may recognize this conversation between Manny and Mike;
Quote:
"Use it once, you're a wit. Use twice, you're a half wit."
"Geometrical progression?"
"Or worse."
For me, I don't think that Kindle is the best suited to my needs. A couple of things like not being able to borrow library books and the lack of decent font controls are pretty much facts and hard to argue with. Most of the other factors in my decision are not as easy to quantify. Do I really need series and subtitles? Do I need to not have the covers for my sideloaded books to disappear? Do I want a relatively open system? Do I want to have better typography without having to convert my ebooks to KFX format? For me, the answers to all of those are yes. Other people have different needs. For them Kindle, Pocketbook, Tolino, Boox, etc. may be a better fit. Isn't it nice that we aren't all forced to read using the ereader equivalent of a Mitsubishi Mirage.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:53 PM   #157
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
do you know everything you eat turns to S**T ?" And he was right!
Hmmm, I've eaten ice quite often, fairly sure it didn't.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:00 PM   #158
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Fact, no. It is nothing more than your opinion and not even a humble one at that. To some, or possibly many, it is the best to them.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:41 AM   #159
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Oh no! - it is among the best for Amazon books.
But it is the worst for epub.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:39 AM   #160
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ahhh, you want facts! Now I understand.

Well, my Drill Sergent had one for that, too. We were standing in the mess hall at the end of a hard day of basic training, waiting for our food, and my Drill Sergent walked up to me and said, "Broyles, do you know everything you eat turns to S**T ?" And he was right!

Now that's one hard fact, sort of like the Kindle being the correct answer and not that other one called....oh, darn....what's the name of that other reader?
There are others that are better then Kindle. Such as Kobo, Pocketbook, Likebook, Onyx to name some of them.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:40 AM   #161
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Oh no! - it is among the best for Amazon books.
But it is the worst for epub.
It's also the worst for Overdrive outside the US.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:09 AM   #162
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
There are others that are better then Kindle. Such as Kobo, Pocketbook, Likebook, Onyx to name some of them.

Smile when you say that, pardner!
Old 06-18-2020, 09:26 AM   #163
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

If everyone would just recognize my brilliance, all would be fine. I once wrote, "I'm no genius, but I play one on the internet!" After thinking about it, I'm certain I was far too modest.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:28 AM   #164
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Smile when you say that, pardner!
And with glee too.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:28 AM   #165
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
It's also the worst for Overdrive outside the US.
But I'm not outside the US. And to be honest, I don't use Overdrive. Personal perspective is a powerful thing.