Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-19-2023, 06:20 AM   #151
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
For large images we use:

height: auto;
width: 90%; /* or whatever you want */
That's what I usually do to put illustrations in the text stream for books sent to Amazon myself, they won't complain about it and works most of the time.
For full page, like the title page or maps, I often use SVG, since that keeps the ratio correct if you change display to landscape.

Last edited by AlanHK; 01-19-2023 at 06:23 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 07:50 AM   #152
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
That's what I usually do to put illustrations in the text stream for books sent to Amazon myself, they won't complain about it and works most of the time.
For full page, like the title page or maps, I often use SVG, since that keeps the ratio correct if you change display to landscape.
Why are you having issues with distortion if the device is rotated?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2023, 04:43 PM   #153
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Most customers will receive your book from Amazon in KFX format. And so far Amazon's generation of KFX converts SVG images into rasterized JPEG, sometimes poorly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I thought kf8.p/azw3 books did support svg (without any rasterization needed). Kindlegen will properly create and store them and Kindleunpack will certainly unpack the svg from a .azw3 and the result will work in the resulting epub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Right, amazon has and uses tools to do the right thing, yet they go out of their way to convert and otherwise degrade images, as discussed the past few weeks in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
But how do you degrade an svg? It is a vector format and not rasterized.
By rasterizing to JPEG as jhowell reported in post #137 of this thread and elsewhere over the years that for KFX books amazon rasterizes SVG to JPEG, sometimes poorly. I don't know what they do with SVG images for azw3. I have seen EPUB books form kobo.com and ebooks.com with PNG images that are GIF or JPEG-XR in azw3 from amazon.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:59 PM   #154
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Why are you having issues with distortion if the device is rotated?

Hitch
If the screen is landscape and you have a portrait image, styled "width:100%;" it gets squashed vertically, at least in some epub viewers, including Sigil's preview. Just tried it in Kindle, does seem to stay undistorted. So, I guess it is safe for Amazon

But SVG is the only way I've seen that will make an image maximum size without distortion in all situations (except KF7, I suppose.). I hate to have to maintain different variations of a file. It's bad enough to have to synchronise changes in the print and epub.

Quote:
Alan,
No offense, but I would never assume that. I always check the for-sale book, once it's online, if we used SVG or anything remotely unusual; ... their own internal conversion stage can do some weird-ass things.
Hitch
Amazon has a preview on their site when I submit a file. That should be post-conversion, I hope.
Anyway, no one has complained so far.

I notice books made by, e.g. Vellum, often have SVG graphics. The coding is pretty painful to read, but it does seem to work.

Last edited by AlanHK; 01-19-2023 at 09:30 PM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:13 PM   #155
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If the screen is landscape and you have a portrait image, styled "width:100%;" it gets squashed vertically, at least in some epub viewers, including Sigil's preview. Just tried it in Kindle, does seem to stay undistorted. So, I guess it is safe for Amazon

But SVG is the only way I've seen that will make an image maximum size without distortion in all situations (except KF7, I suppose.). I hate to have to maintain different variations of a file. It's bad enough to have to synchronise changes in the print and epub.

Amazon has a preview on their site when I submit a file. That should be post-conversion, I hope.

I notice books made by, e.g. Vellum, often have SVG graphics. The coding is pretty painful to read, but it does seem to work.
I can't discuss this long, for various reasons, but the preview is NOT the post-PW view. Trust me, it really is not. The post PW book is different than the preview.

Hitch
Advert
Old 01-20-2023, 05:37 AM   #156
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

No, the Amazon preview is now useless. Only buying a copy of the book for an ancient pre KK3 (or DXG) gives true idea of mobi/KF7. With later Kindles you get azw3 /KF8 via download for USB transfer from Manage my Content and Devices, but all but the oldest azw3 compatible models give the rather different KFX if you use WiFi/Mobile/Cell built in on Kindle.

Assuming it's not fixed layout, the epub2 upload with any pagebreak starting a new HTML file works best to give an azw3 very like the epub. Sometimes images on a PW3 were the wrong size, but I think we have cracked that now.
We proof via epub2, so the Wordproccessor file for that is the master. That is copied and reformatted and styles edited for paper (so only after ebook 100% verified) in the Wordprocessor and Export to PDF used for paper publishing.
Then any revision that does unfortunately happen is done in the WP file for making an epub, and proofed on a Kobo. When done, the changes are copied into the file used to export the PDF and the PDF is proofed again either on 10.3″ Kobo Elipsa or on the 23″ 4K HDR desktop screen.

The only paper are the samples/proofs of the finished paper editions. Finally now with improved PDF proofing on eink and big screen those don't need revised. The high speed duplex colour laser is now only used for knitting patterns (apparently the 10" Tablet doesn't suit!).

Long ago we'd print even drafts on paper. The ereader and annotation back via Calibre killed that even with Paperwhite 3.

We might print 4 sheets with crop marks in duplex as a final check before PDF upload. Check registration of body text, headers & footers. Certainly only paper can show if something wrong on registration.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-20-2023 at 05:41 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:01 AM   #157
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No, the Amazon preview is now useless. Only buying a copy of the book for an ancient pre KK3 (or DXG) gives true idea of mobi/KF7. With later Kindles you get azw3 /KF8 via download for USB transfer from Manage my Content and Devices, but all but the oldest azw3 compatible models give the rather different KFX if you use WiFi/Mobile/Cell built in on Kindle.

Assuming it's not fixed layout, the epub2 upload with any pagebreak starting a new HTML file works best to give an azw3 very like the epub. Sometimes images on a PW3 were the wrong size, but I think we have cracked that now.
We proof via epub2, so the Wordproccessor file for that is the master. That is copied and reformatted and styles edited for paper (so only after ebook 100% verified) in the Wordprocessor and Export to PDF used for paper publishing.
Then any revision that does unfortunately happen is done in the WP file for making an epub, and proofed on a Kobo. When done, the changes are copied into the file used to export the PDF and the PDF is proofed again either on 10.3″ Kobo Elipsa or on the 23″ 4K HDR desktop screen.

The only paper are the samples/proofs of the finished paper editions. Finally now with improved PDF proofing on eink and big screen those don't need revised. The high speed duplex colour laser is now only used for knitting patterns (apparently the 10" Tablet doesn't suit!).

Long ago we'd print even drafts on paper. The ereader and annotation back via Calibre killed that even with Paperwhite 3.

We might print 4 sheets with crop marks in duplex as a final check before PDF upload. Check registration of body text, headers & footers. Certainly only paper can show if something wrong on registration.
In short, what he said ^.

Hitch
Old 01-20-2023, 09:49 PM   #158
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
No, as I said, upthread, there is no transparency in Kindles.

Hitch
I agree. Amazon keeps Kindle locked up tight,.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 09:38 AM   #159
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon is once again playing fast and loose with hi-res graphics. In the eBook The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England by Brandon Sanderson, the ePub has hi-res graphics and the Kindle version does not. I downloaded the sample and it does not have the hi-res graphics.

Is this the same as the last time (see earlier in this thread)?

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-21-2023 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-21-2023, 09:56 AM   #160
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon is once again playing fast and loose with hi-res graphics. In the eBook The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England by Brandon Sanderson, the ePub has hi-res graphics and the Kindle version does not. I downloaded the sample and it has low-res graphics.

Jon, dear, you cranky old thing.... :-) (YOU know I mean that affectionately),

So, from whence did you obtain the ePUB? Kobo? And to which device, exactly, please, did you tell Amazon you were dl'ing that Kindle version? (And what was the format? .kpf, or...?)

Hitch
Old 04-21-2023, 10:35 AM   #161
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Jon, dear, you cranky old thing.... :-) (YOU know I mean that affectionately),

So, from whence did you obtain the ePUB? Kobo? And to which device, exactly, please, did you tell Amazon you were dl'ing that Kindle version? (And what was the format? .kpf, or...?)

Hitch
I saw it on Overdrive and looked at the same. I asked someone I know who may have it and yes, I found out it has hi-res graphics.
Old 04-21-2023, 11:14 AM   #162
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I saw it on Overdrive and looked at the same. I asked someone I know who may have it and yes, I found out it has hi-res graphics.
Someone you trust, that would know? I mean, really know?

Hitch
Old 04-21-2023, 12:21 PM   #163
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Amazon is once again playing fast and loose with hi-res graphics. In the eBook The Frugal Wizard’s Handbook for Surviving Medieval England by Brandon Sanderson, the ePub has hi-res graphics and the Kindle version does not. I downloaded the sample and it does not have the hi-res graphics.

It has been well known for years that amazon reduces image resolution and quality and converts PNG and GIF to JPEG for books delivered to or for eink devices. Where have you been? Nothing has changed or looks likely to change anytime soon.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 01:39 PM   #164
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Partly this is because Amazon has had Mobile Data delivery for years, so they are not playing games, it's part of their system to reduce the size of large images. Also (excluding the 150 dpi dumb DX/DGX) they for years only had 6″ 167 dpi and then 6″ 300 dpi, then the 7″ Oasis. Also large minimum margins. Hence they had a system to limit the image size. Larger and fixed format electronic books often could only be bought & downloaded for an App, or sometimes the Fire, not eink. No paid for by Amazon mobile/cell delivery for Apps, AFAIK only eink with a cellular/mobile modem.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 01:46 PM   #165
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I was wondering if Amazon changed their policy on screwing with graphics since the change to eBook delivery. But it seems not.