Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #151
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Yesterday was a very cold day I was stuck indoors so I read for well over 8 hours and I used about 27% of the battery life of my Oasis 2. I do not see that as that bad. Now I keep it in airplane mode except if I am downloading books.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:19 PM   #152
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I am still in love with the device regardless of the battery.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #153
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I am still in love with the device regardless of the battery.
I am very happy with mine as well. I also have it in airplane mode most of the time.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #154
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Replacing battery will not do anything. Amazon lied about the battery life it seems everyones oasis sucks at battery life. I read for an hour and a half today and lost about 13% battery life I did have the brightness up to 15 but still
Is the Wifi (and if you have 3G) off? That eats battery if it's left on.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:46 AM   #155
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
It would help if we all complain on the Amazon Kindle Oasis product page, when writing a product review, found here:

https://www.amazon.com/review/create...in=B06XD5YCKX#

As far as battery life, it would be preferred, if a case or cover came out with a battery included that would plug into the micro USB port on the bottom.

When I think about it, I can easily charge my Oasis with a USB battery pack, gotten for $8 or less, like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Acuvar-2600mA...dp/B00IYUKCUQ/

Though I wouldn't want to carry an extra object with me, dangling off my kindle.

I believe battery life isn't the real problem here. If you want your kindle to last through the week or month, this $8 battery pack will do the trick.
However,
It's the convenience of having it all in an easy to carry and travel pack; as well as battery longevity.
Reading and charging the battery, will result in the internal battery giving the ghost in 2-3 years; and this is serious killer!

Yes, I love the 7" screen, but I would have preferred them to have 5x larger battery over a larger screen!

I've changed the battery in my paperwhite; and I'm sure once my Oasis gives up the ghost, I will be reading from my paperwhite again.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2018, 09:06 PM   #156
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is the Wifi (and if you have 3G) off? That eats battery if it's left on.
Yes wifi off bluetooth off light level at 10 at night , sometimes a tad higher. drains 6% to 10% a day
Old 01-20-2018, 09:07 PM   #157
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
It would help if we all complain on the Amazon Kindle Oasis product page, when writing a product review, found here:

https://www.amazon.com/review/create...in=B06XD5YCKX#

As far as battery life, it would be preferred, if a case or cover came out with a battery included that would plug into the micro USB port on the bottom.

When I think about it, I can easily charge my Oasis with a USB battery pack, gotten for $8 or less, like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Acuvar-2600mA...dp/B00IYUKCUQ/

Though I wouldn't want to carry an extra object with me, dangling off my kindle.

I believe battery life isn't the real problem here. If you want your kindle to last through the week or month, this $8 battery pack will do the trick.
However,
It's the convenience of having it all in an easy to carry and travel pack; as well as battery longevity.
Reading and charging the battery, will result in the internal battery giving the ghost in 2-3 years; and this is serious killer!

Yes, I love the 7" screen, but I would have preferred them to have 5x larger battery over a larger screen!

I've changed the battery in my paperwhite; and I'm sure once my Oasis gives up the ghost, I will be reading from my paperwhite again.

That is a neat device but cheaper for you can just plug the Oasis into the charger it came with for free LOL
Old 01-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #158
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe and Libra Colour
The only way I can get more than a couple of days use out of my KAO2 is by turning the light off altogether! I'm very disappointed about this, but I think I'm keeping it due to the larger size and waterproofing. I actually dug out my (very) old Kindle Basic 4 and charged it up to compare. I ended up reading it and liking it a lot - the battery life is superb, the screen is much clearer (even though hardly any dpi), having no light scattering layer and no touch layer. It's much bolder and clearer, and super light too, and I was seriously considering going back to it full time (I passed my Voyage down to my son, and I'm not going to take it back from him).

In order to use it exclusively with the light off, I have the bold set to 2, in this way I can approximate the clarity of the KB4 screen.

'Weeks of battery life' is false advertising - basically, a lie. I'm surprised at Amazon, as all my previous readers have had excellent battery life, so I trusted them. (I've had the Kindle 2, Kindle Keyboard, KB4, Original Paperwhite, DX and Voyage).

Need I specify in this company that my wifi, 3/4G and Bluetooth radios are off at all times unless I specifically need them for downloading stuff or listening to an audible book?

Last edited by Pjama; 01-22-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #159
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
The battery life on my 2-week old Oasis, is absolutely HORRID. I find myself charging my Oasis from nearly empty to full 1-2 times a day, every day.

To validate that it's not just my reading activity, I charged the Oasis from 10% to 100% this morning. It reached 100% at 11:28am, and I left it closed, in standby mode, while I went to lunch.

I returned from lunch at 1:30pm, and opened the lid, bringing it out of standby mode. The battery read 77%.

Remember, it was idle, unused, closed and in standby mode with bluetooth off and airplane mode on (no wifi) for the last 2 hours. In those 2 hours, without a single page turn or wake-up, it drained 23% of its battery.

At that rate, in 8 hours of being idle, it would have nearly completely drained itself. If I was reading a book with the backlight on at all, it would drain itself in about 75% of that time.

Absolutely worst battery life I've ever had in any handheld product. My phone with all of its sensors, radios, bright backlight and smaller battery, lasts 24-48 hours between charges. This Oasis, is absolutely horrible with battery savings.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #160
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe and Libra Colour
Attachment 161747
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker View Post
The battery life on my 2-week old Oasis, is absolutely HORRID. I find myself charging my Oasis from nearly empty to full 1-2 times a day, every day.

To validate that it's not just my reading activity, I charged the Oasis from 10% to 100% this morning. It reached 100% at 11:28am, and I left it closed, in standby mode, while I went to lunch.

I returned from lunch at 1:30pm, and opened the lid, bringing it out of standby mode. The battery read 77%.

Remember, it was idle, unused, closed and in standby mode with bluetooth off and airplane mode on (no wifi) for the last 2 hours. In those 2 hours, without a single page turn or wake-up, it drained 23% of its battery.

At that rate, in 8 hours of being idle, it would have nearly completely drained itself. If I was reading a book with the backlight on at all, it would drain itself in about 75% of that time.

Absolutely worst battery life I've ever had in any handheld product. My phone with all of its sensors, radios, bright backlight and smaller battery, lasts 24-48 hours between charges. This Oasis, is absolutely horrible with battery savings.
I had exactly the same experience with mine until I turned the light off altogether. It's a joke, really.

Here's a photo (below) showing my Oasis 2 on font size 2, bold 2, side by side with my ancient KB4 (which has buttons too, incidentally).

I feel like I should send the Oasis back as I don't think it's worth anything like $350 with the poor performance. I used Audible a couple of times, and I could literally watch the battery count down every few seconds. I don't think it's fit for purpose. I also don't think I should have to take recourse to ridiculous workarounds such as never using the built-in light to eke the battery out to three days. I have two original covers for it, however, which I didn't buy from amazon, so I wouldn't be able to get refunded for these.

I still find it very uncomfortable to hold as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1-1.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	805.6 KB
ID:	161748  

Last edited by Pjama; 01-22-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #161
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker View Post

That's certainly not normal. My Oasis, about 3 months old, is nowhere near as bad. Did you check, possibly something is stuck indexing?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #162
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Mine goes well over a week between charges and I have not let it get very low before I charge it. It certainly runs down faster than I expect, but it is not nearly as bad as the ones that only get a few days.

What I have noticed is that it is often already on when I open the cover. I think that the power button is far too easy to bump on. Since I have stated taking extra care that the power button will not get bumped when I transport it, that does not happen nearly as often.

When you open the cover after over 2 hours of not using it, does it always display a "Waking" message at the bottom of the screen before the sleep screen goes away?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:03 PM   #163
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

I should add, I'm using the "new" 2017 Oasis v2 (with the aluminum back, no external battery possible).

How would I know if it's "stuck indexing"? I tried the ';dm' trick, which didn't show anything obvious in the logs.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #164
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Same as any other Kindle: go to the library page and do a search for a string of random characters (so you don't get any real results back). On the results page, if the "Text in Books" tab is enabled, tap it and it'll say "XXX items not yet indexed", should there be any such.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:14 PM   #165
hacker
Technology Mercenary

I don't have the ability to add a "Text in Books" tab on this OS version, but when I search for a random string of impossible characters, search comes back with: "There are no results". So I guess it's done indexing? I would hope it would be done, as I haven't added any books to it in 2 weeks.

Wait!, I stand corrected.. at the bottom of the search, was a menu option that let me sub-search for "Text in Books", and on that, I see: "Items Not Yet Indexed (724)".

So 724 of my 3,132 books have not yet been indexed. I'll keep checking back to see if that number has dropped. If it can't index 3,132 small books (4.3GB total) in over 2 weeks, their algorithm is horribly slow!

Tags
battery life, koa2