Notices

Old 03-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #151
lepau
Connoisseur
lepau doesn't litterlepau doesn't litter

Device: M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickathmoc View Post
p.s. 2 Of course friends, you understand that now we have a dual boot M92! Obuntu is in the sd card, while ONYX firmware 'inside'.
SD cards and USB sticks don't like the heavy access that an OS like Linux requires for longer periods.
Did anyone already experience problems?

are there any experiences on how smoothly Obuntu installs with the latest firmware of M92?
lepau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #152
lepau
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb00ker View Post
I don't even own a Linux OS. So do I have to install some kind for it? Is there like an emulator available which runs on Windows7?
you might want to check for virtualization software like vmware (it's free) which allows you to install Ubuntu within windows (and vice versa).
that would allow you to play with Ubuntu to decide whether you like it at all.
Advert
Old 03-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #153
eb00ker
Connoisseur
eb00ker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG / Onyx Boox M92 / M96 / C67 AFTERGLOW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepau View Post
you might want to check for virtualization software like vmware (it's free) which allows you to install Ubuntu within windows (and vice versa).
that would allow you to play with Ubuntu to decide whether you like it at all.
hi lepau, thanks for the tip. i just installed 'Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS' on VMware Player to give it a go.

so from there on i could theoretically type the commands in the terminal for partitioning my sd-card as hickathmoc explained in post #149 ? -that would work even though it is just a virtualization software?

thanks for helping me
eb00ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #154
hickathmoc
hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.

Device: M92 black pearl
Some answers...

Dear 'Obuntuers' !

I'm very glad seeing that there is an interest from people for Obuntu. We must first, give all the credit to seaniko7 for his excellent job! This thread exists only because of his pains.

Everything i did, i did it in a virtual machine program called VirtualBox (it is free), where I have installed Ubuntu (Ubuntu helps Obuntu!). Actually I own a mac.

For the sd card issue, it is true that has problems with writing-deleting all the time, but is not a big deal (remember that the very popular Raspberry Pi works with sd cards 'loaded' with Linux!). I'm working with Obuntu for 3 months, I have made plenty of experiments (I have installed, just Obuntu, nearly 15 times!), and had no problem at all. Obuntu is really fast! I have installed: xournal, evince, synaptic, djview4, Diogenes, evopedia, filezilla(ssh/sftp with my mac for wireless copying from/to M92!), etc

The Obuntu project needs 3 things to be really handy:

1. Rotation to be fixed
2. Battery to be fixed
3. Display updaters to be fixed.

Currently I'm working almost entirely in Obuntu, so for me, yes it is a (great) solution. I'm using my M92 for academic reading, and with Obuntu has become from a (very good indeed) e-reader to a complete study tool‼!

Again, a very big 'thank you' to seaniko7. I hope he succeeds to everything he's doing.

Last edited by hickathmoc; 03-25-2014 at 04:14 PM.
hickathmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:11 AM   #155
lepau
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb00ker View Post
so from there on i could theoretically type the commands in the terminal for partitioning my sd-card as hickathmoc explained in post #149
you have to be EXTREMELY careful.
you are formatting harddisks at the basic level. if you make a mistake by selecting/changing one character you might be accidentally formatting your windows drive!
Advert
Old 03-26-2014, 04:22 AM   #156
lepau
Connoisseur

seaniko7's work is definitly extraordinary!
still hard for me to believe that so. ported an OS to an ebook reader.

Quote:
I'm using my M92 for academic reading,
what reader are you using for pdf's?
are you reading in xournal to be able to annotate?

what is Diogenes?

I think I read somewhere here that someone is running freemind under Obuntu.
that would be my dream to read my ebooks in parallel with a mindmapping software.
I'm a bit concerned that such a java program might be extremely slow. can anyone contribute his experience with freemind/docear/... on Obuntu?
Old 03-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #157
hickathmoc
hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.hickathmoc knows the square root of minus one.

Device: M92 black pearl
Yes, i'm using Xournal for pdf annotation, it is great!

Currently i'm not using any java app. For notes i'm using an app called Kabikaboo, it is for (player) writers, but it is great for notes to!

Diogenes is a free Windows/Mac/Linux viewer for the TLG database, TLG stands for Thesaurus Linguae Graecae, and has all the ancient greek writers.
hickathmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #158
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
that would be my dream to read my ebooks in parallel with a mindmapping software.
You could try "vym", I use it. Vym use Qt.

Under Debian Wheezy 7.1 :
Quote:
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libqt4-dbus (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-network (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-svg (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-xml (>= 4:4.5.3), libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.7.0~beta1), libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.8.0), libstdc++6 (>= 4.4.0), zip, unzip, xsltproc
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:50 AM   #159
lepau
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
You could try "vym", I use it. Vym use Qt.

under Obuntu?

or did you cross-compile it for Onyx?
Old 03-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #160
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
No sorry.
I want only to say that ther is an other mind-mapping tool without Java. I doesn't know what are the packets available under Obuntu.
Whit Qt, I hope that it possible to compile Vym for Obuntu.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #161
eb00ker
Connoisseur

Quote:
you have to be EXTREMELY careful.
you are formatting harddisks at the basic level. if you make a mistake by selecting/changing one character you might be accidentally formatting your windows drive!
thanks for the advanced warning - I successfully installed Obuntu on my M92!! I really like it - big thanks to Seaniko; please keep up the good work!!

I tried to install Obuntu as "hickathmoc" described in post #149, but it didn't work at all...

maybe he used the old files???

i used those from 17-08-2013. And I just put those two files on my SD-Card:

- OBUNTU.update-20130717.tar.gz (I think 20130'7'17 is a typo, it should be 20130'8'17)

- obuntu_install_20130817.oar

anyway,
with obuntu_install_20130817.oar started from my SD-Card, i could successfully install the 'Obuntu-Bootloader', from which i could install Obuntu on start-up. All I did was:

1. copied obuntu_install_20130817.oar + OBUNTU.update-20130717.tar.gz
to my SD-Card.

2. clicked on the obuntu_install_20130817.oar, continued with OK to install.

3. then, I shutted down the device (completely)

4. then, I was pressing the "joystick -OK button" and the "power button" at the same time until it showed me “software update request detected, Checking updates” at the bottom of the screen.

5. Obuntu-Bootloader started and i continued with 2nd option: 'Update Obuntu' -
The installation took almost 1 hour (even with my 'class 10' SD) and it pretty much looked like as the screen has frozen up (no sign of life).

Now every time I want to boot Obuntu I have to do the same procedure as written in number 4.

anyway,

the installer partitioned my 4096 MB internal memory.
Afterwards I found the following partitions on my M92:

disk-0; 2457.6MB (with Obuntu on it, filling ~2200MB)
disk-1; 33.6 MB (onyx_reader files)
disk-2; 450.9 MB(onyx_reader files)
disk-3; 1024.0MB (internal storage left on M92)

+ my 16GB SD-card; from which I could delete the 2 Obuntu install files.

Thanks to the programmer for implementing this sweet OS on M92 !!!
Please don't abandon the project - keep it up alive.

greetings,

eb00ker

P.S. Could someone tell me from where I could get some useful apps ?

Last edited by eb00ker; 04-02-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:03 AM   #162
eb00ker
Connoisseur

Does anyone know if it's possible to enable the buttons and the joystick of the M92 for switching pages and zooming them while reading pdfs/djvus in Obunto OS ?
Old 04-09-2014, 05:40 AM   #163
geoek
Enthusiast
geoek began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Hi!
In the last discussions, two important points were raised :
- improvement concerning the grayscale of the screen
- new calibration of the pen

Does anyone has informations about these topics ? Is it possible to test ?

Thanks a lot !
geoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:33 AM   #164
geoek
Enthusiast
geoek began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Nobody has information about these topics ?
geoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #165
rogerpiano
Connoisseur
rogerpiano began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max2
Since we no longer speak of M92 i want to refresh this topic and ask if you have some news to update obuntu. Again I repeat that it would be necessary at least one indicator of the battery, because it is difficult to manage the M92 without knowing when the battery is running low, mainly because the e-book reader suffer when the battery is fully discharged. I cross my fingers and hope for a new update ...

Last edited by rogerpiano; 07-08-2014 at 02:25 PM.
rogerpiano is offline   Reply With Quote