Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #151
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
reading life awards etc

So i saw a comment about facebook and twitter. I notice that the iphone kobo app has a reading life link to Facebook. Is this feature in the reading life on the iphone going to be ported over to the Touch reading life? I mean its silly to not have it on all versions if it is supposed to sync all over the devices.

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #152
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Thank you. Perhaps the original post can be updated to include this. That's a big addition to some folks who would consider the Kobo. I've directed some to this thread.
You gotta watch the "features" with a Kobo though as some, e.g. dictionary, ONLY work with their own little kepub format, and not with epub, etc. [EDIT] and plurals are borked on the WiFi & original... apparently fixed for the Touch though... [/EDIT]

...you're thinking of jumping from Nook Touch(I presume) to Kobo Touch, and I was thinking of dumping my Kobo WiFi for a Nook Touch since the 2GB uSD card w/50 books or whatever it was deal plus Nook's features actually work on everything...

About the only thing that is still keeping me thinking about a Kobo Touch(going to swing by a Borders today and see if they have one) is that their browser will eventually(or does it already now?) support downloading of supported formats, while I'm not sure about Nook Touch's browser download capabilities(maybe have to go by B&N today as well I guess, unfortunately they're about equidistant from my house but in diametrically opposing locations...)

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 07-02-2011 at 12:47 PM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #153
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
You gotta watch the "features" with a Kobo though as some, e.g. dictionary, ONLY work with their own little kepub format, and not with epub, etc. [EDIT] and plurals are borked on the WiFi & original... apparently fixed for the Touch though... [/EDIT]

...you're thinking of jumping from Nook Touch(I presume) to Kobo Touch, and I was thinking of dumping my Kobo WiFi for a Nook Touch since the 2GB uSD card w/50 books or whatever it was deal plus Nook's features actually work on everything...

About the only thing that is still keeping me thinking about a Kobo Touch(going to swing by a Borders today and see if they have one) is that their browser will eventually(or does it already now?) support downloading of supported formats, while I'm not sure about Nook Touch's browser download capabilities(maybe have to go by B&N today as well I guess, unfortunately they're about equidistant from my house but in diametrically opposing locations...)
My understanding is that Kobo will be bringing those features your jumping shop for relatively soon. So why jump ship just because its not yet here. regardless bottom line is " what ever reader you do go with there will always be problems" and " its your call no matter what". I am certain that no matter what way you decide it will be the right choice for yourself.
Btw you can download ebooks from kobos web browser no problem

regards

jack
Old 07-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #154
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
My understanding is that Kobo will be bringing those features your jumping shop for relatively soon. So why jump ship just because its not yet here. regardless bottom line is " what ever reader you do go with there will always be problems" and " its your call no matter what". I am certain that no matter what way you decide it will be the right choice for yourself.

regards

jack
Well, I'm still planning to run over to Borders to look at one, but after doing a little more research on the browser on the Nook Touch it seems to be half-baked which is fine as it's not an "official" feature but that also likely means that downloading may be broken as well and B&N are pretty pokey with updates, although they did just release another bugfix update for the classic Nook...

When I got the WiFi I had originally started looking for a reasonably priced reader with the newer pearl eink screen, but couldn't find one and took the WiFi as it was well priced. I still loathe their library "system" though (Title/Author sort, also loathe Nook library system) v. the plethora of options that Sony offered esp. my favorite sort by date added.

Anyways, just might come home with a shiny touch IF they have any, and even if they don't I'd like to see their display model. So back on topic... fw 1.9.5!
Old 07-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #155
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
Well, I'm still planning to run over to Borders to look at one, but after doing a little more research on the browser on the Nook Touch it seems to be half-baked which is fine as it's not an "official" feature but that also likely means that downloading may be broken as well and B&N are pretty pokey with updates, although they did just release another bugfix update for the classic Nook...

When I got the WiFi I had originally started looking for a reasonably priced reader with the newer pearl eink screen, but couldn't find one and took the WiFi as it was well priced. I still loathe their library "system" though (Title/Author sort, also loathe Nook library system) v. the plethora of options that Sony offered esp. my favorite sort by date added.

Anyways, just might come home with a shiny touch IF they have any, and even if they don't I'd like to see their display model. So back on topic... fw 1.9.5!
Well said and some of the things you mentioned author title search series sort etc are all very important features that we need no ifs buts or anything about it.

regardless of how it boils down it always gonna boil down to the customer

regards

jack
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #156
cutterjohn42
Addict

Quote:
Well said and some of the things you mentioned author title search series sort etc are all very important features that we need no ifs buts or anything about it.

regardless of how it boils down it always gonna boil down to the customer

regards

jack
Well, I went and looked but when I checked the version on their demo unit it was the 1.9 May20 release(OOB fw?), so it was pretty clunky and I opted not to buy for the time being, suggesting that they should update the fw on it...

(Kind of funny as they assured me that it had the latest fw on it.)

Probably stop by on Tuesday to see if they updated it and then try it out again along with the browser. Thing's noticeably heavier than the WiFi! Screen didn't really look that much better either, but I didn't play around with it much as it had old fw.

Their book selection has really slid as well, no wonder they're in trouble...
Old 07-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #157
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
no wonder they're in trouble
Explain?
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #158
cutterjohn42
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Explain?
Borders: lack of selection(physical books) which is what originally made them popular as they used to carry obscure as well as popular titles, now they're just an overgrown mall store. Lack of knowledge of their products, specifically in this case the Kobo Touch. They were even worse than the clowns that I dealt with at B&N when I got my NC.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #159
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:

regards

jack
Jack, does this mean you can use the browser to download ebooks from stores other than kobo? I can see how you would do it with non DRM books with a straight epub file, but what about books that have DRM? Wouldn't you need to have ADE running because when you buy from other stores you get the .ascm link which you have to open in ADE.

If there is a way to do it, please let me know.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #160
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Jack, does this mean you can use the browser to download ebooks from stores other than kobo? I can see how you would do it with non DRM books with a straight epub file, but what about books that have DRM? Wouldn't you need to have ADE running because when you buy from other stores you get the .ascm link which you have to open in ADE.

If there is a way to do it, please let me know.
Well I know i can download an epub from my calibr server via the web browser on my Kobo, So yes I am going to guess you may be able to via any store. Best way to know for sure is to try it. No harm no foul thats for sure. Infact I may try it my self.

regards

jack
Old 07-03-2011, 05:48 AM   #161
bigmandan
bigmandan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
The ability to zoom CBR/CBZ files is pretty awesome. When zooming there are two buttons next to the zoom slider that I have no idea on what their function is. The two buttons are a up/down arrow and a left/right arrow. When I press them nothing seems to happen. Can anyone shed some light on their function ?

Thanks!
bigmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:50 AM   #162
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmandan View Post
When zooming there are two buttons next to the zoom slider that I have no idea on what their function is. The two buttons are a up/down arrow and a left/right arrow.
Fit to height and fit to width would be my guess.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #163
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmandan View Post
The ability to zoom CBR/CBZ files is pretty awesome. When zooming there are two buttons next to the zoom slider that I have no idea on what their function is. The two buttons are a up/down arrow and a left/right arrow. When I press them nothing seems to happen. Can anyone shed some light on their function ?

Thanks!
Today I tried a PDF version of REaders digest. Was very impressed except that some parts were very faint. Due to the limitations of greyscale, fortunately that was just advertising.

At any rate I noticed the same as you have with those buttons. I did not play around with them as my pdf was perfectly formated to my screen. if you find out let me know

good luck

regards jack
Old 07-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #164
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Today I tried a PDF version of REaders digest. Was very impressed except that some parts were very faint. Due to the limitations of greyscale, fortunately that was just advertising.

At any rate I noticed the same as you have with those buttons. I did not play around with them as my pdf was perfectly formated to my screen. if you find out let me know

good luck

regards jack
I have tried those buttons on some PDFs and as TedJ suggested, they trigger a fit to page in either the vertical or horizontal direction. In portrait mode, the two buttons seem to accomplish the same result but in landscape mode the results are clearly different.

Last edited by Joe563; 07-03-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #165
bigmandan
bigmandan began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
I have tried those buttons on some PDFs and as TedJ suggested, they trigger a fit to page in either the vertical or horizontal direction. In portrait mode, the two buttons seem to accomplish the same result but in landscape mode the results are clearly different.
Oh neat. Too bad CBR/CBZ reading does not have the portrait option yet.
bigmandan is offline   Reply With Quote