Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #151
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The biggest things for affecting accents are knowing what your own voice can and can't do -- it's like learning an instrument, to some degree -- and paying attention to how things sound. Most folks just listen to grasp what the words being said mean, rather than also paying attention to how the sound.

That being said, I've always been fairly good at picking up accents. Growing up I had a scoutmaster for some time who was British, he and his son both had fine accents. I had to consciously prevent myself from slipping into one when I was around them, kind of a verbal chameleon effect.

The accents that gave me the roughest time for a long time were the Irish and Scottish accents. I could do the Scottish relatively well fairly quickly, but the Irish one gave me fits. I could tell them apart when I heard them, but I couldn't get hold of the Irish one enough to actually replicate it.

I find Russian and Scottish the most fun to play with. Though I haven't been around Russian accents nearly enough to distinguish the various flavors of them.

Well, if you want to get into word misuse pet peeves, my biggest are imply and infer -- folks can't seem to get them straight. For those who don't know: imply is what the speaker does, infer is what the listener does.

The one I've been running into recently is misuse of juxtapose. Again for the uninitiate: it is not a stronger way to say "oppose." That's the way I keep hearing it misused: "So and so is totally juxtaposed to such and such." To those who know the word means "placed side by side," the speaker sounds like a doofus, because what he's saying is the exact opposite of what he means to say.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #152
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I do professional "voice work" from time to time. Then again, I write poetry, which requires a great deal of research into language, word history (etymology), and regional dialects and speech habits (witness the conversational gems in the Harv and Vera "stories"). Just to amuse myself when I travel, I will sometimes "adopt" an accent during a trip.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #153
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I do professional "voice work"
That's something I've always wondered if I might be any good at, but never enough to actually try to find out.

What sort of work have you done? Commercials, cartoons, radio? Inquiring minds want to know!

My wife is constantly amazed that I can recognize people by their voices but not their faces, I frequently say things like, "I know that guy! He did such and such a character in such and such a cartoon!"

Of course, I'm constantly amazed that she can recognize people from their faces. I seem to have particular issues there, for some reason.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #154
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The biggest things for affecting accents are knowing what your own voice can and can't do -- it's like learning an instrument, to some degree -- and paying attention to how things sound. Most folks just listen to grasp what the words being said mean, rather than also paying attention to how the sound.
yes, that's true. in my defense, i can say that i do already speak *two* languages (french and english) with little or no accent (well, let's say no *foreign* accent, since "everyone has an accent" !), even if i can't really switch back and forth really quickly without starting to make sentences that are half and half (so i also would make a very poor interpreter). although i notice that speaking english increasingly needs a warm-up or transition time for me to lose any traces of accent, and also that i have a hard time controlling the verbal "tics" that i have in french, and that tend to slip through in english sometimes. swearing and counting also is usually in french.

Quote:
I find Russian and Scottish the most fun to play with. Though I haven't been around Russian accents nearly enough to distinguish the various flavors of them.
i wish i could do a scottish accent !! it's my favorite accent of all, i wish i could go to scotland and just sit in a pub all day listening to people talk. although i susect i wouldn't be able to *understand* half of it. once i was watching an episode of Inspector Morse, and there was a scottish character in it ; he didn't have many lines, but they were my favorite. when he said "yon Morse" i got a little thrill. i wish i could start saying "yon such-and-such" when i mean "that such-and-such over there" but i think i would probably get beaten up if i tried.

as for russian, i have a russian friend who tried to teach me russian words sometimes (when i make him), and it's very frustrating because i can *hear* the sounds quite well but then i can hear myself massacring them !! this drives me completely loony because i grew up with my polish-speaking grandparents and could speak some polish when i was a child, but now i have forgotten it and the polish accent (like the russian one) is very hard to do, even though i think it *should* come naturally.

Quote:
Well, if you want to get into word misuse pet peeves, my biggest are imply and infer -- folks can't seem to get them straight. For those who don't know: imply is what the speaker does, infer is what the listener does.

The one I've been running into recently is misuse of juxtapose. Again for the uninitiate: it is not a stronger way to say "oppose." That's the way I keep hearing it misused: "So and so is totally juxtaposed to such and such." To those who know the word means "placed side by side," the speaker sounds like a doofus, because what he's saying is the exact opposite of what he means to say.
thank god i haven't heard anyone use "juxtapose" that way in french, i would probably have an aneurism. another argument to make everyone study latin at school !!!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #155
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I do professional "voice work" from time to time.
yes, inquiring minds *do* want to know !
Advert
Old 03-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #156
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
What sort of work have you done? Commercials, cartoons, radio? Inquiring minds want to know!
Local radio commercials (I did a LOT of that for about 1 year. Started as a favor to a friend starting a new business, then a local station started using me... and then I got bored with it). Software training videos/webinars.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #157
NatCh
Gizmologist

Heh, I was hoping you'd admit to being the voice of Mojo Jojo or something.

Of course that would rather give away your identity.

I've often wished I had Casey Kasem's voice ... the stuff I'd be able to talk people into!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:20 AM   #158
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The chap who first attempted to classify American accents did so on the basis of how people pronounced the three words "Mary", "merry", and "marry" (which have completely different pronunciations in British English). There are, apparently, many parts of the US where all three are pronounced the same. I've noticed myself, while visiting the US, that the short "e" vowel sound seems not to exist in some regional accents - those are probably the places where "merry" and "marry" are not differentiated.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #159
NatCh
Gizmologist

A very reliable differentiator as to whether an "American" is a Northerner or Southerner is the way they pronounce the word "greasy." If the "s" has a "z" sound, they're almost always a Southerner, and if the "s" is pronounced with an "s" sound they're almost always a Northerner.

Totally worthless, of course (unless the Civil War erupts again, I guess), but it's kinda fun, regardless.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #160
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bill Bryson's written a wonderful (and as always with him, very funny) book called "Made in America" which describes the fascinating history of the development of American English. It's very well worth a read.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #161
NatCh
Gizmologist

This one? Any idea if it's available as an e-book?

I see several of his books in the Sony store, but not that one.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:33 PM   #162
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's the one. Sorry, I don't know if it's available as an eBook. I know it's available as an audiobook, because that's what I bought myself.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #163
zelda_pinwheel

hey, thanks for the suggestion ! that books sounds absolutely fascinating. i don't usually get audio books but it could be a good choice in this one, if he does the accents. does he ? (completely sincere question). otherwise it would definitely interest me as an ebook, if anyone (*cough*NatCh*cough*...) finds it !! (by the way NatCh, you have far too many capital letters in your name !! i always have to redo it 2 or 3 times before i get it right )
Old 03-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #164
NatCh
Gizmologist

Nobody else much bothers, zelda_pinwheel, and I don't worry about it: the caps are there for reasons that mean "not much" to anyone but me, anyway.

I'm not sure I'd go audio book on this one, I usually listen to books while driving and flying, neither situation seems a good one in which to succumb to fits of laughter.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #165
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Nobody else much bothers, zelda_pinwheel, and I don't worry about it: the caps are there for reasons that mean "not much" to anyone but me, anyway.

I'm not sure I'd go audio book on this one, I usually listen to books while driving and flying, neither situation seems a good one in which to succumb to fits of laughter.
hee ! good point. i read on the metro as well, and while it's not as dangerous as while driving, i had to give up on "three men in a boat" because it was getting embarassing. however, the rare audio books i do have (or monty python sketches...), i usually listen to while working on a particularly mindless task. since i am a freelance and i work at home, i can laugh like a maniac all day long and no-one looks at me funny (even the cat is used to it).

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, emotifaction, emotifactor, mozzle, mozzle of mozzle, natch's spleen, taylor514ce, unutterable silliness