Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #151
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
That's interesting... I've been holding off doing the latest official upgrade just in case Morkl's modified reader app didn't work anymore.
Indeed, I've been holding off for the exact same reason.

Quote:
I had also assumed the Sony changes to fix the 'unwanted dictionary pop-up' bug would be implemented in the reader app. Does this mean that this bug isn't currently fixed on your setup? Or perhaps you've never been affected by the bug. I definitely have seen it, but it's a minor inconvenience to work around compared to not having the modified reader app.
If I had to pluck something out of thin air, I'd guess that the screen handling would be handled by a lower level system library (something that would affect all apps) rather than a change being made to a specific app.

I'm sure I recall Morkl saying the the reader app itself either didn't change or changed insignificantly with the previous firmware update even though that fixed some serious page turning problems.

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #152
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
I'm sure I recall Morkl saying the the reader app itself either didn't change or changed insignificantly with the previous firmware update even though that fixed some serious page turning problems.
Ah yes... but he reserved judgement in a later edit to post #143. I guess we'll have to wait patiently and see...
Advert
Old 02-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #153
slvrsplsh
Enthusiast
slvrsplsh doesn't litterslvrsplsh doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Nook Color
Looks Great

I installed this mod and it looks really good. The only problem is its in Italian. Is there a a way I can get this to do English?
David
Old 02-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #154
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
Quote:
I had also assumed the Sony changes to fix the 'unwanted dictionary pop-up' bug would be implemented in the reader app. Does this mean that this bug isn't currently fixed on your setup? Or perhaps you've never been affected by the bug. I definitely have seen it, but it's a minor inconvenience to work around compared to not having the modified reader app.
In fact, that was one of my concerns too, but I couldn't give up the custom font/css, so I just dived in. I have definitely experienced the bug before the firmware update, and notice it far less often now... it happens, but not as much often as before. But this could be a placebo effect... who knows
Old 02-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #155
slvrsplsh
Enthusiast

Looks like it turned my whole reader Italian LOL. That was easy to fix.
David
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #156
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I jumped in and upgraded my firmware to 1.0.04.12210 and re-rooted. Morkl's modified Home and Reader still both work fine.

I've grabbed the new EbookHome.apk and EbookReader.apk files, and pulled them apart with apktool, and the contents of the exploded directories of both are identical to their 1.0.03.11140 versions.

Likewise I pulled apart EbookHome.odex and EbookReader.odex with baksmali, and EbookHome is the same as the previous (same md5 checksum as well). With EbookReader however there are a number of differences but these seem to be limited to "gesture" control which fits in with Sony's update description of "Improved stability when turning pages by flick".

So it would seem that you can use the Morkl Home app on the updated firmware with no loss of functionality, but using Morkl's Reader means you'll still have the swipe-and-get-the-dictionary problem.

I'm curious if the 1.0.04.12210 stock Sony Reader app works on 1.0.03.11140 firmware. Anyone still on the previous firmware brave enough to try that? I can supply the apk/odex files if you need them.

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #157
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I thought Morkl had already pointed out your problem? You had 7 fonts defined in your reader.xml file when the maximum is 6. Did removing one of them not work?
I did remove one font type but it still doesn't work. and I stuck with the firmware 1.0.04. I cannot roll back to the original (factory) settings (with sdcard rescue set, restore set or hard reset) to root the T1 again.

Last edited by vietchovui; 02-02-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #158
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietchovui View Post
I did remove one font type but it still doesn't work. and I stuck with the firmware 1.0.04. I cannot roll back to the original (factory) settings (with sdcard rescue set, restore set or hard reset) to root the T1 again.
If you're using Windows, you don't need to have a rooted T1. Did you try reinstalling Morkl's reader app using the flash_reader.bat installer method?

Last edited by jackie_w; 02-02-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #159
slvrsplsh
Enthusiast

Hi All. I installed the "Home" app on the 1.0.04.12210 upgrade. Works fine except it doesn't show all of my apps. Hopefully that will be fixed in the next release. I also tried to install the "Reader" app, but it doesn't seem to work. I am using Linux (PCLINUXOS), so I had to do the reboot with home and menu keys pressed.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #160
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by vietchovui View Post
Have you tried the restore-set-1.0.04.12210.zip from below?

http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...lash_packages/
Old 02-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #161
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Morkl hasn't made any claims that the existing versions of EbookHome and EbookReader have been tested with the latest Sony 1.0.04.12210 upgrade. So re-installing them after the upgrade is entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, wait for him to get back to us after he's done what needs to be done. At least that's what I'm going to do.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #162
epic
epic began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
I switched from using no refresh browser trick with fbreader, to this modified stock reader. I really like the quality of the text on this because it has greyscale. A feature that I would like to see added is a clock in that bottom bar. That was very useful in fbreader.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #163
epic
epic began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
I jumped in and upgraded my firmware to 1.0.04.12210 and re-rooted. Morkl's modified Home and Reader still both work fine.

I've grabbed the new EbookHome.apk and EbookReader.apk files, and pulled them apart with apktool, and the contents of the exploded directories of both are identical to their 1.0.03.11140 versions.

Likewise I pulled apart EbookHome.odex and EbookReader.odex with baksmali, and EbookHome is the same as the previous (same md5 checksum as well). With EbookReader however there are a number of differences but these seem to be limited to "gesture" control which fits in with Sony's update description of "Improved stability when turning pages by flick".

So it would seem that you can use the Morkl Home app on the updated firmware with no loss of functionality, but using Morkl's Reader means you'll still have the swipe-and-get-the-dictionary problem.

I'm curious if the 1.0.04.12210 stock Sony Reader app works on 1.0.03.11140 firmware. Anyone still on the previous firmware brave enough to try that? I can supply the apk/odex files if you need them.

Cheers,
Simon.
Why did you decompile the app when you could have just downloaded the source?

http://sonyfmngr.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/sonyfmngr/
Old 02-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #164
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
Why did you decompile the app when you could have just downloaded the source?

http://sonyfmngr.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/sonyfmngr/
That repository doesn't contain any of Sony's original source code that I'm aware of.

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #165
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur

Quote:
Morkl hasn't made any claims that the existing versions of EbookHome and EbookReader have been tested with the latest Sony 1.0.04.12210 upgrade. So re-installing them after the upgrade is entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, wait for him to get back to us after he's done what needs to be done. At least that's what I'm going to do.
One thing to note here - installing the 1.0.04.12210 upgrade didn't remove the already installed Morkl versions of the apps (which I was pleasantly surprised at!).

I've been using the Morkl versions today, and do still see the swipe-page-and-get-dictionary-lookup problem (as I mentioned was likely in an earlier post), but other than that existing problem I've had no issues using Morkl's home screen or reader.

Cheers,
Simon.
Closed Thread