Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-28-2018, 07:00 AM   #151
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I've just upped my challenge from 75 books to 100 (currently 43 read), as I've read a few shorts, including a number of graphic novels, and have also DNF'd more than usual, possibly because I've recently joined Kindle Unlimited. Or maybe I'm just getting to a point where I'm not willing to spend time over something I'm not particularly engaging with.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:38 AM   #152
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Or maybe I'm just getting to a point where I'm not willing to spend time over something I'm not particularly engaging with.
A worthy point to reach!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2018, 09:04 AM   #153
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I've just upped my target from 45 to 80 since it's only April and I've already read 32 books.

As for abandoning books, I agree it's a good thing to do, however...

There's this episode of the sitcom Friends where they're throwing a ball to one another. After a while someone notices they've been doing it for a while continuously without dropping it. Then it becomes a thing they try to keep doing, with increasingly bizarre things they need to do to achieve that.

I feel a bit like that about my books. At some point, without planning it, I realised that I've finished every book I started this year. So far...

However I may need to let that go. Because it's now making me wary of picking up certain books because they may not be that great (or they may be but who knows before hand). I think I value being more experimental in my reading than always finishing everything. But there's still that obsessive part of me that doesn't want to let go.

Historically I've usually stopped reading for days or weeks when I'm in the middle of a book I'm not loving. Even when I 'power through' and finish it it often leaves me feeling I don't want to read for a while.

So I guess the key is to feel OK about stopping and pick up something else right away.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #154
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used to never not finish a book (pardon the double neg), always battling through to the end whatever. Now I realise life's too short.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:25 PM   #155
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I used to never not finish a book (pardon the double neg), always battling through to the end whatever. Now I realise life's too short.
Pardoned, but I'll never get over that split infinitive.
Advert
Old 04-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #156
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Pardoned, but I'll never get over that split infinitive.
To boldly go...
Old 04-28-2018, 12:55 PM   #157
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Books must be finished.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #158
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Books must be finished.
Some books, if started, should be abandoned as quickly as possible. Some novels live up to the quip that Dorothy Parker didn't say "This is not a novel to be lightly tossed aside. It should be thrown with great force."
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:28 PM   #159
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Some books, if started, should be abandoned as quickly as possible. Some novels live up to the quip that Dorothy Parker didn't say "This is not a novel to be lightly tossed aside. It should be thrown with great force."
I'm picky in what I start, but once I've started, I've made a commitment to finish.* If a book is a slog at first, I optimistically figure it will get better--and many times it does, and disparate threads come together. If not, I know to avoid the author in the future and not be sucked in again by an intriguing blurb.

*This does not apply to the Russian novels assigned in high school, though I'm not dead yet and expect to pick them up again ... eventually.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:15 PM   #160
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I used to finish all books when I was younger (except The Scarlet Letter).
Now if a book is not to my liking I will abandon it. To many good ones out there to waste on badly written books.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:06 PM   #161
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I used to finish all books when I was younger (except The Scarlet Letter).
Now if a book is not to my liking I will abandon it. To many good ones out there to waste on badly written books.
Apache
My thoughts exactly.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #162
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, if this keeps up, I'm going to go WAY over my stretch goal even. I'm now on track to read well over 200 books this year. I don't actually think it will hold, and it does include a couple of "Abandoned" books, though they actually tend to lower my overall rate, since they usually have me looking for something, ANYTHING to do instead of read them, and it always takes me a while to realize I really don't want to bother. Today I abandoned Stephen Fry's Mythos, but devoured L.R. Wright's The Suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Amen. It often takes me longer than it should to give up on a book, but I no longer regret it when I do.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:37 AM   #163
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

My 2018 challenges have been an abysmal failure. I'm ahead of the pace on my overall benchmark total, but I've done minimal reading in all of my challenge categories, which is the guts of my annual challenge. I have only myself to blame; I know it's a mistake to repeat challenges and to have too many categories and I erred in both respects.

So I'm acknowledging reality and have edited my goals to reflect what I actually seem to be pursuing this year and I'll see where it goes. Perhaps I'll come up with a goal for the second half of the year that will get me outside my usual, but I'm going to cruise for the time being.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:49 PM   #164
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
It wasn't a good month for my challenge. Due bronchitis I didn't read much for the last week of last month and the first week of this month. Still it could have been worse: 9 books finished, 1 book I didn't finish, and 2995 pages read. Which is almost 100 pages on average a day. This year so far I've read 12674 pages, which averages 106.5 pages a day.

I'm still behind when looking at previous years, but it seems my recent obsession with podcasts is waning a bit. Which means I've more time to read.
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:21 AM   #165
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Goals:

Total Books: 50 (stretch goal of 75) | Total Pages: 25,000 | TBR Reduction: 25 (stretch goal of 50)
Read at least 51% non-American authors | Read more female/gender-fluid authors than male | Read at least 52 short stories | Read at least 10 of the New Leaf Book Club selections | Complete a re-read of the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation of War and Peace

Aggregate Totals (Updated through April):
  • 55 books - 110% of my goal (73% of stretch goal) - on target; might expand again
  • 27 short stories - 52% of my goal - on target
  • 16,125 pages - 64% of my goal - on target
  • 49% female/nonbinary authors / 51% male authors - off target - Balance again improved by 1%
  • 52% US authors (down from 60%) / 48% non-US authors (up from 40%) - off target but making gains
  • 128 of 365 chapters of War and Peace complete - on target
  • TBR Reduction: Reduced by 21 - 84% of my goal (42% of stretch goal) - on target
  • New Leaf Book Club selections - 5 for 5 - on target

Last edited by astrangerhere; 06-01-2018 at 07:41 AM.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote