Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-07-2023, 01:40 PM   #151
bubbas45
bubbas45 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Touch, Kindle Fire, Kindle 2, Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
This is the best deal in the U.S. as far as I'm concerned...
Absolutely. I'm actually glad that BPL kicked me loose. Metropolitan has so many more books I am interested in than does BPL. Way more science fiction, as well as a back catalog of authors in various genres.

My state overdrive collections are heavily weighted to romance, most mysteries are cozies, and they skimp on books I am more likely to read, so I need an outside library to belong to.

Metropolitan is a bargain. I'd pay twice the current fee.

bws
bubbas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 02:31 AM   #152
stewrog
stewrog began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kindle Paperwhite (old)
Stark library online card request process

Thank you so much for providing this info!
Just signed up and am enjoying it.
Lots of ebooks, not as many audiobooks as I had hoped.

FYI to others who may follow:
I got a reply to my request email the next day granting access with barcode card number and password (which can be changed after logging in) and was given general instructions to pay $50 (no longer $30) by midnight of the next day, else access would be deactivated. (The $50 is consistent with their website page on cards now.)
So, after you apply by mail, don’t dilly dally on logging in and paying.
Note: I had to switch from Safari browser to Chrome and turn off my VPN and use a regular (not a “virtual” CapitalOne one time card) to get payment accepted. Maybe I didn’t need to take all those steps, but one or more of them made the difference. Oh well. Was worth the temporary big reduction in security for a good card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbas45 View Post
Fbone, thanks! They responded _very_ quickly.

Also, Stark Library in Ohio did not have a procedure online, but they responded to email as follows:
Hello,
A Stark Library online account is available to non-Ohio residents for a $30 annual fee. To apply, send the following information to ecard@starklibrary.org:

Full name (including middle name)
Physical address
Telephone number
Birth date
Email address

You will receive a barcode via email from the library with instructions on paying the $30 fee. Thank you for your interest in Stark Library.
stewrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2023, 08:53 AM   #153
jkrzok
Connoisseur
jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura One, Voyage, Oasis 1 & 2, Many others getting dusty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Unless there has been a recent change, BPL requires in-person activation of a library card, photo ID, and proof of address (like a utility bill).

BPL has two levels of library card. There is a "real" card that does require in-person application, proof of residency and id. There is also an ecard option which is open to all state residents good for ebooks and streaming. It's been a few years but I seem to recall that they did ask for a scan of id and residency proof when I applied. Location also had to be proved so I turned off my VPN. Renewal just requires location verification.

New York state residents can also get an ecard at Queens PL. From what I recall all they asked was for location services to be turned on and a pinkie swear that I was eligible for a card.

The NYPL is also open to all state residents but I got a "real" card there many years ago (after a tour of the Schwarzman building). They also have a ecard option that doesn't require an in person appearance.

So as an Erie County (Buffalo) resident I get access to four libraries, all three of the NYC libraries and my local. Oddly this generosity is not reciprocal; NYC residents can't get a Buffalo card.
jkrzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 11:49 AM   #154
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrzok View Post
BPL has two levels of library card. There is a "real" card that does require in-person application, proof of residency and id. There is also an ecard option which is open to all state residents good for ebooks and streaming. It's been a few years but I seem to recall that they did ask for a scan of id and residency proof when I applied. Location also had to be proved so I turned off my VPN. Renewal just requires location verification.

New York state residents can also get an ecard at Queens PL. From what I recall all they asked was for location services to be turned on and a pinkie swear that I was eligible for a card.

The NYPL is also open to all state residents but I got a "real" card there many years ago (after a tour of the Schwarzman building). They also have a ecard option that doesn't require an in person appearance.

So as an Erie County (Buffalo) resident I get access to four libraries, all three of the NYC libraries and my local. Oddly this generosity is not reciprocal; NYC residents can't get a Buffalo card.
I think the ecard options may be fairly recent--as in since covid. A few years back I had to go in person to both Brooklyn and NYPL branches, with ID, to activate my cards (I'm in Queens), despite telling them I only wanted digital access. But the last time I needed to renew NYPL, there was a digital-only option, and I used that instead.

The lack of reciprocity by other NYS libraries is annoying. I would like to have access to the digital collections on Long Island, at least!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 10:04 PM   #155
driscoll4242
driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Probably of interest to this thread as well, I scraped all of Overdrive earlier this January and below are all the libraries with over 200,000 items (eBooks and audiobooks), if I did 100,000 as the cutoff it'd be 89 libraries long which would be a bit much for a post., full details are in this spreadsheet and the scraping script and some analysis over on my blog.

Library Name ---- Total ---- EBook Total ---- Audiobook Total
  1. Los Angeles Public Library (CA) --> 543,578 --- 430,459 --- 108,737
  2. Sno-Isle Libraries (WA) --> 398,988 --- 276,404 --- 118,200
  3. National Library Board Singapore (Singapore) --> 325,885 --- 273,265 --- 50,916
  4. Livebrary.com (NY) --> 322,971 --- 239,358 --- 83,612
  5. King County Library System (WA) --> 298,932 --- 221,054 --- 73,541
  6. CLEVNET (OH) --> 295,941 --- 220,797 --- 70,770
  7. MELSA: Twin Cities Metro eLibrary (MN) --> 293,978 --- 231,353 --- 58,980
  8. Auckland Libraries (Auckland) --> 291,148 --- 225,285 --- 63,534
  9. Toronto Public Library (ON) --> 277,630 --- 223,346 --- 51,019
  10. Pikes Peak Library District (CO) --> 276,774 --- 195,814 --- 76,603
  11. Old Colony Library Network (MA) --> 275,863 --- 229,360 --- 42,128
  12. Metropolitan Library System (OK) --> 271,353 --- 193,130 --- 73,850
  13. New York Public Library (NY) --> 267,430 --- 202,787 --- 64,643
  14. Brooklyn Public Library (NY) --> 265,775 --- 196,517 --- 69,258
  15. Student Union Recreational Library, SURLY MSA (VIC) --> 260,375 --- 202,339 --- 58,036
  16. The Ohio Digital Library (OH) --> 258,273 --- 200,515 --- 53,397
  17. Indiana Digital Library (IN) --> 240,734 --- 188,134 --- 48,214
  18. Indianapolis Public Library (IN) --> 238,768 --- 168,647 --- 65,782
  19. Las Vegas-Clark County Library District (NV) --> 238,207 --- 161,433 --- 72,401
  20. Cincinnati & Hamilton County Public Library (OH) --> 235,415 --- 172,405 --- 58,622
  21. Sacramento Public Library (CA) --> 234,931 --- 177,740 --- 52,812
  22. Multnomah County Library (OR) --> 232,029 --- 166,021 --- 61,951
  23. Harris County Public Library (TX) --> 229,075 --- 165,051 --- 59,637
  24. Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative (FL) --> 220,904 --- 176,485 --- 40,069
  25. Seattle Public Library (WA) --> 213,354 --- 155,136 --- 58,217
  26. Connors State College (OK) --> 210,876 --- 7 --- 210,869
  27. Nashville Public Library (TN) --> 209,034 --- 154,442 --- 50,253
  28. Austin Public Library (TX) --> 201,508 --- 135,931 --- 61,184
driscoll4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2023, 02:51 PM   #156
Debi
Connoisseur
Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Ipad Mini 2, Ipad Air 2
WOW!!!!! I remember having a Singapore library card. How long ago was that? I think I had a Sony 700 back then.
Debi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 04:02 PM   #157
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi View Post
WOW!!!!! I remember having a Singapore library card. How long ago was that? I think I had a Sony 700 back then.
Me too....
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 11:20 PM   #158
PlatinumWarlock
Enthusiast
PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 5, Kobo Scribe, Kindle app on iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by driscoll4242 View Post
Probably of interest to this thread as well, I scraped all of Overdrive earlier this January and below are all the libraries with over 200,000 items (eBooks and audiobooks), if I did 100,000 as the cutoff it'd be 89 libraries long which would be a bit much for a post., full details are in this spreadsheet and the scraping script and some analysis over on my blog.
Great resource - thank you! I live in Washington State, and as such have access to the Sno-Isle Library, which is #2 on the list - but it would never have occurred to me to investigate that.
PlatinumWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 12:58 PM   #159
driscoll4242
driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.driscoll4242 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I updated the wiki for the non-resident cards for some of the main details, though I think I need to go through and overhaul that page a bit as I have really the entire Overdrive details and could expand out the state by state sections quite a bit. But project for the future unless someone else wants to.
driscoll4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 01:26 PM   #160
Avice
Zealot
Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Digital Library of Korean Literature (DLKL): Sign up for a free Individual Membership https://library.ltikorea.or.kr/user/type and you can use that login for FREE access to DLKL's OverDrive library of ebooks & digital audiobooks of Korean literature translated into various languages. https://lti.overdrive.com/
Avice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 02:41 PM   #161
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avice View Post
Digital Library of Korean Literature
Today I finished The Sister: The extraordinary story of Kim Yo Jong, the most powerful woman in North Korea by Sung-Yoon Lee. This Overdrive collection does not seem to have that, but the collection is obviously in my range of interests. So thank you!

Digital Library of Korean Literature looks to be sponsored by a legitimate non-profit organization. Does anyone know who curently funds them?
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 09:56 PM   #162
Avice
Zealot
Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As part of the Literature Translation Institute of Korea, the Digital Library of Korean Literature is a government-affiliated organization under South Korea's Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism. https://m.koreaherald.com/amp/view.p...20210514000649
Old 07-29-2023, 10:02 PM   #163
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Thank you Avice!

This raises the question of whether other countries host free Overdrive collections. I just found one from the Japan Foundation:

https://tr.jpf.go.jp/jf-overdrive-digital-library/

Quote:
We are a non-profit organization, funded by an endowment from the Japanese government, annual government subsidies, as well as private sector donations.
And I just looked a bit for religion-specific Overdrive collections and found this:

Contact library@baus.org to sign up for an eLibrary card and access to many Buddhist ebooks and audiobooks!

I’ve mentioned before the Montreal-based Jewish Public Library, which charges CN$18 a year:

https://jewishpubliclibrary.org/usin...p-and-friends/
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 04:35 AM   #164
Avice
Zealot

Japan House LA states affiliation with the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs and allegedly offers a free Libby/Overdrive library of books about Japanese culture, but I haven't tested it because I don't want to use my mobile text number to get a library card number.
https://www.japanhousela.com/venue/library/
https://japanhousela.overdrive.com/
Old 07-30-2023, 05:12 PM   #165
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Thank you Avice!

This raises the question of whether other countries host free Overdrive collections. I just found one from the Japan Foundation:

https://tr.jpf.go.jp/jf-overdrive-digital-library/
Since it wasn't immediately obvious to me how to get to the sign up page, here's the direct links:
And this appears to be the actual library, if you want to see what books they have before registering. It has 2,451 titles total.

If you don't want to use your real phone number, there are free apps that give you an additional phone number. Those only work over WiFi and your phone's data connection, but you can make and receive calls using them. I use 2nd Line and it shows the occasional ad + requires me to make a call or send a text once a month to keep my number. It's also available for iOS. If you start getting a ton of spam calls on the number, you can always drop it. I rarely use mine beyond making calls to keep it active, and I haven't had any problems with that.

You can also use Google Voice to get a second number, but it requires a Google account and I know not everyone wants to have one of those.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote