Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #151
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I'd think Kobo is worse, since a KEPUB-only book is impossible to use elsewhere. At least B&N only requires you to use the Android app or an e-ink Nook, before sideloading.
On the other hand, Kobo will (at present) refund if you've a kepub-only book and then complained to them about not being about to get a download. It's nowhere near as adequate a solution as clear disclosure up front, but it's something.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #152
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
NOOK for Mac does not like Mavericks*
† Yeah, still bitter about Fictionwise.
NOOK for Mac works on my mid-2013 MacAir under Mavericks rev. 10.9.4, which is the last update prior to the one that came out this week. If you are on an earlier version, see if updating will help.

And I am really bitter about Fictionwise, too. My B&N archive is full of Fictionwise books.

Last edited by ssholloway; 09-19-2014 at 12:10 AM.
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2014, 12:24 AM   #153
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you, greasemonkey worked for me too.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:11 AM   #154
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Why be cheap? Bezos can probably afford to light his cigars with $1000.00 bills at the least with how wealthy he is.
But Bezos *is* notoriously cheap.
He'd never burn even hundreds to light a cigar...at most, he'd use fivers.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:31 AM   #155
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Yeah. B&N flyers I bet.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2014, 01:32 AM   #156
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
What Bezos does right, in my opinion, is that he plows his profits back into Amazon.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:48 AM   #157
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I've heard of obok. I've also heard it is the kind of thing where you really do have to ask if it worked. Also somewhat hard to find?

The Amazon/B&N/ADE tools are all easily found and used, so [deleted] was never viewed as important. Until things changed.

And B&N is still better in comparison.
[Deleted] comes from the same place as the others, not too hard to find. Certainly harder to use than a plug-in (although I heard there may be a plug-in now?), but no harder than running a simple command line script.

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-28-2014 at 05:07 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:56 AM   #158
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
How is this different from Amazon? I have to download my Amazon books to Kindle For PC and then load them into Calibre and convert them to epub.
Apache
But at least you CAN download your Amazon books. It looks like B&N don't want you too anymore.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:25 AM   #159
Aanya
Enthusiast
Aanya began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I never use but one of my colleague was saying the same. What an experiment B & N; there may be chances to lose million potential sales still people are friendy with new options.
Aanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:31 AM   #160
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqWPmpMB5n0

Last edited by Froide; 09-19-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:34 AM   #161
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Oops. I misread your post earlier. I thought you said flyers not fivers.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:45 AM   #162
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Why be cheap? Bezos can probably afford to light his cigars with $1000.00 bills at the least with how wealthy he is.
I sure Amazon will sell the bills at a good discount...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #163
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Oops. I misread your post earlier. I thought you said flyers not fivers.
I like your version better.
I didn't know B&N bothered to release ad flyers.

Bezos will spend, and spend big, but only when it makes sense. Burning money to celebrate really isn't his style: he always has uses for every penny he scrapes up. He's going to need a lot to build his orbitting BattleStar.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #164
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Don't ask me--I have written to two, no three authors recently asking if they could/would publish on Kobo. Of the three, ONE said, "Sure" asked me for details and went right over and did it. One of the other ones said, 'Not going to happen." The other author said, "I might look into it..."

None of the authors were exclusive to Amazon so I found it rather mindboggling. I get not publishing to Apple (it's difficult and can cost money) but Kobo has a great publishing platform.

And No. I didn't buy any of the books elsewhere.
Oh do your friends a huge favor. Tell them NOT to publish anything in ePub 3. Use ePub 2. Seems Kobo is converting ePub 3 into kepub and that won't sell well at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #165
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
And you can't download comic books with Nook for PC.

Nor can you 'read' the comic books in Nook to PC.
From what I've read, you need to use the Windows 8 app to download comic books. And then getting the DRM off of them is a pain in the a$$.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote