Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-03-2022, 08:52 AM   #1606
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
Thanks! I never ran into CAPTCHAS before on the site.
Honestly, that probably means that GR has added Captchas recently. Or turned on some extra protection that means they are more common. Or you have done something else that is triggering the site not to trust your IP address or something. I have no idea about what
Quote:
However, as of now the plugin still works ok, I just run into the problem with the error every now and then. Perhaps I have too many rules for the shelves or too many shelves, Good Reads times out if there is too much time to do something.

I created a shelf years ago called "needs cleaning" and impulsivly loaded every book onto it. I can't remember how I did it since there are so many books, must have been an imported .csv. Anyhow it has some 1800 books today on it since everytime I edit a book I remove it from the shelf. Unfortunately, I cannot delete the shelf because Good Reads times out before it can remove it from all those books.
I can't tell if you are saying it times out in the plugin or on GR. But, if you no longer want the shelf, doesn't editing the shelf list and deleting it there work? Or use the bulk edit to remove batches of books from the shelf.
Quote:
Perhaps I may overload the plugin with rules. I have accumulated a LOT of tags for shelves basically pointing to the same shelf and I use the add/sync rules to weed out those tags with individual remove from or add to rules. Also I have date columns to add to each time. I suspect that the plugin might falter if I have too many rules on a shelf and there are too many books on that shelf.
If you are suggesting the number of add or sync rules are going to cause an issue when communicating with GR, then forget about it. That happens only in calibre. I
Quote:
Is it also possible that the order of the rules for sync on a shelf can cause a problem? Since you can't move the rules within the box or organize them in any way other than the order in which they were created, it is possible that I could have duplicate rules. I know that with some shelves there are so many remove from shelf or add to shelf rules that have been updated over time that there is a LONG list for a shelf. Is there a way of updating the plugin so that there could be some way or sorting or allowing the sort to be moved in a rule box? Maybe alphabetically or with those side arrows that allow the row to move up or down? It would help in identifying redundant rules when they are spaced so far that it's hard to compare.
I'll consider adding buttons to move them up or down, but, honestly, I don't see the point. Or, I can't see the point of having that many actions for a shelf. I mean, you can only add or remove values from tags or custom columns of certain types. Exactly how many custom columns do you have that it gets to be a problem?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:29 PM   #1607
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
1. The Captchas are new, and I only came across them the first couple of times using the site recently on my desktop, not doing anything but editing a review. It may have been triggered by my browser. I might have had multiple tabs open.

2. When I go into edit bookshelves in Good Reads using my main computer and try and delete a shelf with a lot of books it will "process" a while and then throw up a little error button where the shelf is - making me think it’s a time out. I have had Good Reads time out in the past with large library uploads. A picture of an old lady in a rocking chair with "Well, this is embarrassing.." shows up. However, as of this moment I just saw that the specific shelf I was trying to delete actually deleted – go figure. Was going to get a screenshot of the error.

3. I am embarrassed to admit to admit to being a data hound. So, yeah, there are rules and columns galore for the way too many shelves I have, which have changed over the years. I have wicked ADHD and a bit of OCD and it shows up in my library and organizations
My Good Reads Sync Plugin.json file in the app data folder is 42750 lines long if that gives you any kind of indication.
Understanding that you have a life and that this is most likely a hobby or labor of love, I don’t want to make you feel like a short order cook, but if you can find it in your time and effort to add those arrows and possibly allow the box below the booklist of books about to be synced that shows the rules about to be applied (see screenshot in previous post), I would be VERY appreciative - like donation of more than a couple of dollars appreciative. I know you aren't the plugin developer, but if you have another plugin that you have a donation button for I would be happy to do so.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2022, 11:54 PM   #1608
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, really quick -

Is it possible to make the sliders on the shelf list and synced books dialog (after selecting the shelves to sync then the popup that asks you to sync when they are loaded) those side sliders are very difficult to see in dark mode. Perhaps the blue color that is used in the highlights?

Also, when the plugin is actively running it causes the title bars and heders in calibre and whatever boxes are open to be light colored. When the syncing is done, the title bars go back to dark. I made sure my setting in Windows covers this so it's not on this end.

Most current version of Calibre and GR Sync plugin
Old 04-22-2022, 09:25 AM   #1609
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
Ok, really quick -

Is it possible to make the sliders on the shelf list and synced books dialog (after selecting the shelves to sync then the popup that asks you to sync when they are loaded) those side sliders are very difficult to see in dark mode. Perhaps the blue color that is used in the highlights?

Also, when the plugin is actively running it causes the title bars and heders in calibre and whatever boxes are open to be light colored. When the syncing is done, the title bars go back to dark. I made sure my setting in Windows covers this so it's not on this end.

Most current version of Calibre and GR Sync plugin
The plugin does not set any colours in the dialogs or anywhere else. The only thing it does is set to use alternating colours in the lists. All the colours should be inherited from calibre or the system colours. Trying anything would probably mess up the colours under other circumstances.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:42 PM   #1610
Rellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The plugin does not set any colours in the dialogs or anywhere else. The only thing it does is set to use alternating colours in the lists. All the colours should be inherited from calibre or the system colours. Trying anything would probably mess up the colours under other circumstances.

You're right, I noticed that this color change happens whenever anything "running" in Calibre happens, but only while the action is happening. Thanks!
Advert
Old 05-01-2022, 02:12 PM   #1611
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Hi folks the plugin can add a read process status.
How would the custom column be to be able to have it in a column in Calibre
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 12:43 AM   #1612
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
Hi folks the plugin can add a read process status.
How would the custom column be to be able to have it in a column in Calibre
The column has to be an integer. And there is an option to specify if it is a percentage or a page number. And you can create the column from within the plugin configuration. That will get it right and you just need to name it.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:49 PM   #1613
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The column has to be an integer. And there is an option to specify if it is a percentage or a page number. And you can create the column from within the plugin configuration. That will get it right and you just need to name it.
Thank you.
Progress data is bidirectional ?
From Calibre to Goodreads and from Goodreads to Calibre ?
Just to know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	125
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	193591   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	133
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	193592  

Last edited by dunhill; 05-02-2022 at 06:52 PM.
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:12 PM   #1614
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
Thank you.
Progress data is bidirectional ?
From Calibre to Goodreads and from Goodreads to Calibre ?
Just to know
From memory, it is only calibre to GR. It is sent to GR using "Update reading progess". I can't remember if it is fetched when doing a "Sync from shelf". I never use that, so I don't see it.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:00 PM   #1615
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
I haven't been able to use Goodreads Sync since upgrading to Calibre 5 (from 3, iirc).

When I try, I just get the not very helpful:
Quote:
URL: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/add_to_shelf.xml
Response Code: 401
b'not authorized
So, I'm suspecting I just need to re-"Authorize Plugin with Goodreads", but when I try that I get:
Quote:
URL: https://www.goodreads.com/oauth/request_token
Response Code: 500
b'Invalid OAuth Request
Any ideas how I can get around this?
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 04:09 PM   #1616
Rellwood

1. Are the rules for sync and add performed in the order in which they are listed in modify plugin?

2. Is there a way of clearing out a column that matches a rule? Example: I have a shelf for "Calibre Library", a book that has been recently read will be moved from "Main Calibre" to "Read" or "Archived". I would like to clear out the "Main Calibre" tag and add the "Read" or "Archived" tags. So, if the plugin can clear out the shelf first, then add the desired tag it would save me from manually adding sync or add rules that add or remove every possible library. Also helps when I change the tags all together and save the plugin from extra steps.

Just clear out the shelf and then add whatever tag I want.

I am seeing that I have to add a value in the space for value, but there isn’t the opportunity to blank out the column. Being able to do this and knowing if the order of operations is in effect would help a lot.

Example for my exclusive "Read" Shelf:

"active": true,
"add_actions": [
{
"action": "ADD",
"column": "#exclusiveshelf",
"value": "Read"
},
{
"column": "#gr_updateded",
"value": "today"
},
{
"column": "#ingr",
"value": "Y"
},
{
"column": "#readstatus",
},
{
"column": "#calibrelibrary",
"value": "1.Read"
},
{
"action": "REMOVE",
"value": "1.Temp Hold"
}
],
"add_date_read": true,
"add_rating": true,
"add_review_text": false,
"book_count": "1867",
"exclusive": true,
"name": "read",
"sync_actions": [
{
"column": "#exclusiveshelf",
},
{
"column": "#ingr",
"value": "Y"
},
{
"column": "#gr_updateded",
"value": "date_updated"
},
{
"column": "#grdateadded",
"value": "date_added"
},
{
"column": "#readstatus",
},
{
"column": "#grdateread",
"value": "read_at"
},
{
"column": "#book_style",
"value": "Placeholder.Waiting for it"
},
{
"value": "Placeholder.Maybe"
},
{
"value": "Placeholder.Pre-Ordered"
},
{
"value": "Placeholder.Want to Read"
},
{
"value": "1.Re-reads"
},
{
"value": "1.Current"
},
{
"value": "1.Read"
}
],

Finally, as a "wish list" if it is possible, It would save so much time if it was possible to bulk set each selected shelf. For so many of my shelves the rules are all the same, except the goodreads shelf and the mapped tags shelf are different. I have two columns because I like to keep the original goodreads tags in the way they are formatted in Goodreads in one column and then map them to tags that I have cleaned up and heriarchal because there are so many of them. Pretty much all my sync or add rules are the same add the goodreads date added, add the goodreads date read, add the goodreads shelf to "#cs_goodreads" column and add the mapped tag to the "#current_bookshelves" column. Select "Y" for "#ingr" I have to manually do this for every shelf. If there was a way to bulk set this without having to do this for each shelf, it would drastically save time. I could then go in and add specific rules after those bulk rules were set. It probably is too much work, but it wold be a game changer for the plugin.

Last edited by Rellwood; 06-18-2022 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:47 AM   #1617
jbusnengo
jbusnengo began at the beginning.

Device: multiple (Windows laptop/Android phone)
Not compatible with calibre 6?

After installing calibre 6, this plugin doesn't seem to work anymore. When I try to configure the plugin, I get the message "You must restart calibre before you can configure the Goodreads Sync plugin." Restarting calibre doesn't make it go away.
jbusnengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:41 PM   #1618
cmdixon
cmdixon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbusnengo View Post
After installing calibre 6, this plugin doesn't seem to work anymore. When I try to configure the plugin, I get the message "You must restart calibre before you can configure the Goodreads Sync plugin." Restarting calibre doesn't make it go away.
I'm having the same issue. Cannot get the plugin to work with Calibre 6.
cmdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:40 PM   #1619
SASSBS
Connoisseur
SASSBS doesn't litterSASSBS doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard; Kindle Fire
yep same the goodreads sync icon is missing from my toolbar and I can't see a way to sync the books.

I am wondering if it's the QT6 thing that was mentioned in the update notes.
SASSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:22 PM   #1620
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

My apologies. It look like I have fixed it, but, have not released the update. I'll do that later.

Tags
calibre, goodreads