Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2015, 10:49 PM   #1531
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If you want a device that you will use for PDFs and internet more than a relatively trivial amount of time, I strongly suggest a tablet rather than an e-ink reader. Yes, this can display PDF and comics formats, but it's not optimal for either, unless they have been specifically created for a six inch screen.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:35 AM   #1532
LittleNooby
LittleNooby began at the beginning.

Device: None at the moment
Well thanks for the answers.

I don't intend to buy a tablet. I read a lots of books and it's still the main reason I want to buy an e-ink reader, I just didn't have question about that point.

I wanted to know if it was possible to use it for some side functionalities. It would have been a big plus. I'll wait a bit longer before buying one I guess.

Thanks again for the feedback.
LittleNooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2015, 08:39 AM   #1533
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleNooby View Post
I wanted to know if it was possible to use it for some side functionalities. It would have been a big plus. I'll wait a bit longer before buying one I guess.
It's possible, it's just clunky and not optimal. I suggest trying one out in a shop before making your decision.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:16 AM   #1534
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Just got mine and I love it! Totally worth an upgrade from my old Aura. However, I do miss the flat bezel of the Aura as I'm used to swiping from the bezel to turn the page.
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:17 AM   #1535
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
It's possible, it's just clunky and not optimal. I suggest trying one out in a shop before making your decision.
And along those same lines, I don't think you'll find any e-ink reader that handles browsing and PDFs any better. Remember it's built for ebooks, anything else is a less-than-optimal add-on just for convenience when you really need it and nothing more. A larger screen would be better for PDFs, but even those still have their issues with that format.

You just need to realize it's a limitation of e-ink.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2015, 04:44 PM   #1536
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
My old Sony T 1 has PDF text reflow pinch zoom in/out making it is much better than my old Kobo wifi reader. Then my Kobo touch improved their PDF firmware making it better but not as good as the T1.
Text reflow helps but sometimes it doesn't work depending on how PDF is formatted. Best to have large screen that can display full page large enough to be easily read. Some PDF books and documents really need large color screen.

Sony 13.3 inch DPT S1 review
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...-paper-dpt-s1/

Mobileread Sony Reader Forum
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Mobileread Onyx Book Forum, Onyx Book has some larger screen readers and is working on 13 inch screen reader. Reading this forum some models might be a little buggy.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=220
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:40 PM   #1537
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best way to read PDF on the go is a tablet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:54 PM   #1538
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovesflying View Post
Just got mine and I love it! Totally worth an upgrade from my old Aura. However, I do miss the flat bezel of the Aura as I'm used to swiping from the bezel to turn the page.
I don't miss the flat bezel at all. Now I'm not accidentally touching the screen all the time!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:08 AM   #1539
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I don't miss the flat bezel at all. Now I'm not accidentally touching the screen all the time!
I'm a bit OC with the dirt so the flat bezel was convenient for me since I can just wipe off the dust easily. Now, dust gets into the corners of the bezel and cleaning is twice the effort. :P

I'm observing the battery on mine right now. Since I first used it and charged it to full, battery meter is now at 21% and reading stats indicate that I have read on my device for around 35 hours now (not counting the time I used to set up and tinker around with the settings). I think it's pretty good and quite near the promised 2 months battery life, since the fine print indicates that it can last up to 2 months with 30 minutes of reading each day, if I remember correctly.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:00 AM   #1540
LittleNooby
LittleNooby began at the beginning.

Device: None at the moment
I finally bought it and it has a whole line of dead pixels :

Sigh, I can go back to the shop, yay !
LittleNooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #1541
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Yes, that's unacceptable.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:31 PM   #1542
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Yes... I buy locally and open/turn on the device in the shop before leaving! Never had a DOA/dud yet here, but it can save a trip.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #1543
melovesflying
Groupie

I need a little help. My Glo HD started acting up a bit lately. At first I thought it was because of the sleep cover I had because when I open the cover, the device would be unresponsive. I turned the sleep cover setting off but now, my device would sometimes freeze even while I'm reading. Last night, sleepcover was working but when I opened the cover, I saw my device was on sleep mode but with the brightness on a high level so the battery was drained (I set it to turn off after 30 mins but I'm guessing it was in that frozen sleep state for 2 hours). Calibre says my database is fine though so what could possibly fix this? I'm currently letting it charge for hours as per Kobo troubleshooting if this could fix it.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #1544
mumbletop
mumbletop began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Pixel 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovesflying View Post
I need a little help. My Glo HD started acting up a bit lately.
You could also try a "basic reset" by pushing the end of a paperclip into the small hole on the bottom of the Glo HD until you feel a click. I had a problem where my Glo HD would suddenly drain its battery which was resolved by doing this.

More instructions here: https://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/arti...kobo-glo-hd-or
mumbletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #1545
melovesflying
Groupie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbletop View Post
You could also try a "basic reset" by pushing the end of a paperclip into the small hole on the bottom of the Glo HD until you feel a click. I had a problem where my Glo HD would suddenly drain its battery which was resolved by doing this.

More instructions here: https://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/arti...kobo-glo-hd-or
I already did everything, even the factory reset. Seems like it's a hardware failure since it would now freeze even immediately at the home screen after doing the reset and with no books loaded yet.