Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:55 AM   #136
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
I need to win to replace my current prs500 whose buttons have been pressed so often that they are getting tired and whose battery is no longer holding its charge.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #137
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
I WANT TO WIN. But nor for me, but for my granny. She is now 93 years old and lives in a retirement residence. She used to do a lot of crossword puzzels, magazin reading and book reading. But now her eyes are realy bad. When I visit her, I used to read a story to her from books.

First time I came with my reader, she looked at it and thought that this was very strange. I tried to explain it to her. Just for fun, we changed the size of the letters and her face lighted up. She can read now!!! And that even on my PRS 700 eventhough everybody complains about the bad display. . She thinks it'S easy to flip the pages with her finger. The handling is easy, that even my old granny knows how it works. So the PRS is realy a great reader for older people, due to the touchscreen.

Ok, not much words are on the screen than, but she can read and she loves it! It brings her back to life. She hardly can walk anymore or do other things. She used to say, that life sucks the older you get.
I borrow her my reader whenever I can, but it would be of course nice, if she had her own. Since I want to read on mine too .

So I think it would be a nice thing, if I could win one for her. Otherwise we will have to save money and get her one as soon as possible.
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #138
jcf
Enthusiast
jcf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Sage
I'm entering this giveaway.

I think I should win because:
- I'm a geek and I'm sure that when i get around to it, I will hack these things and find a way to make two readers work together (I currently have a 505). For example, I can put the two readers together and make them work just like a pocketbook where one displays odd-numbered pages while the other one displays even-numbered pages.
- I got my 505 by using up my airmiles because I can not afford to buy one. Now, my wife and one of my daughters want their own. My daughter, specially, LOVES classics and she is beginning to realize all the advantages of eBooks, specially the financial part because she currently spends part of her allowance to buy books (I pay 60%, she pays 40%).
- My wife, on the other hand, keeps on 'stealing' my 505.

-jcf
Old 06-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #139
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I'm entering this giveaway as it will give me the chance to own a 2nd reader.

Okay it's greed pure and simple... ;-)
Old 06-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #140
SethFriedman
SethFriedman began at the beginning.

I am entering the contest.

I need a new e-book reader as my PRS-500 is showing its age, and I do not have any space left on my bookshelves. If I can find the right e-book reader I will no longer need to add to my 2500+ book collection, but can simply carry around one device with all the books I need.

Thanks,

Seth
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #141
Skyblue712
Skyblue712 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'd like to win a Kindle 2 to give to my daughter.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #142
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Consider my a nominee for this Summer e-book Reader Stimulus Program!

Why should you vote for me?

* I promise to increase the literary proficiency of the world by reading Western classics and proselytizing the merits of e-reading and e-books in general.
* I promise to provide e-book economic relief by donating my current reader, a Sony PR5-505, to a less fortunate reader.
* I promise to reduce our dependence on p-books by purchasing as many e-books as possible and investing in e-book technologies.
* I promise to take measures on e-book reform, indicating to publishers what they can do with their high e-book prices and encouraging authors to go e-book.
* I promise that I will spend every waking moment of my spare time to defend the interests of MobileRead.com and its allies around the web.
* I promise to work toward world peace by promoting the merits of discovery and enlightenment that can be found in reading e-books.
* Finally, my last promise is that I will lower taxes.

If selected, I would like an Amazon Kindle 2.

**Tweeted contest!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #143
Demented
Connoisseur
Demented began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, Nook, Cybook Original
I don't deserve to win a free e-book reader. This is the most original post you'll find in this thread.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #144
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I sure would like another Kindle 2. Actually, I'd prefer a DX because that's what my wife really wants, but at least a K2 would stop her from stealing mine all the time. I swear that even on the nights she doesn't borrow it before we go to bed, she waits until I fall asleep and I'll wake up an hour later to find her reading it. Please, for the sake of curing my insomnia that results from paranoia about my wife stealing my K2, let me win!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #145
dhoshaw
dhoshaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I would like to enter.

In the years since I got married, my wife has reduced my library from hundreds down to about a dozen. I need a reader to keep me from going into book withdrawal.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #146
Cyndall
Cyndall is on a distinguished road

Device: sony 505 and 700
I would love to enter. I would love to have a Kindle. I would love to read books to the grandkids. I would love to travel and just take the Kindle.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #147
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I would like to enter to win a Kindle 2.

I bought my Kindle 1 on Ebay in March, and I do love it, but there are two major reasons I want to upgrade:

1) I think the Kindle 2 would be easier for me to carry in my backpack on my chair.

2) It doesn't look like the Kindle 1 is getting any firmware improvements, and I would love to be able to run software like Savory to get native PDF support.

3) Amazon somewhat disappointed me with their decision to make the follow-up to the Kindle 2 both more expensive and larger. My original plan (when I won the auction) was to wait for the Next Big Thing from Amazon before I upgraded my Kindle 1, since certain things, like PDF support and color, weren't ready yet. With the DX being over-sized for my needs, and a color Kindle "years" away, according to Bezos, it's looking more and more like the Kindle 2 is the device for the rest of us, now.

Anyway, thanks for the chance!
Old 06-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #148
SteGar
Enthusiast
SteGar doesn't litterSteGar doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I would like to enter the contest !

Even though I have purchased a Kindle 2 recently, I would love to be able to get my hands on a DX... Since I'm not from the US, I guess the prize would come to me as a gift certificate that I would then use to get it... Ah Ha!!

I have also participated to many threads here and on other forums (but MR is really the best one.... for real !!) and I have helped other non-US citizens to consider buying a Kindle.

I totally deserve to win (unfortunately not more than anybody else...)

Anyway, please pick me ;-)
Old 06-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #149
dancin86
dancin86 began at the beginning.

Device: Mobipocket Reader for Smart PDA...but I want a Kindle 2
I want to enter this giveaway because...I want to win, of course! I should be the one to win a new Kindle 2 because I have been studying and taking exams for my job constantly for the last three years, with very little time for reading just for pleasure. Now that my studying has slowed to a more manageable pace, I have looked around and my children who are 20 & 17 are almost never home, my husband also works away from home so I am left alone a lot. However, because of this I have rediscovered my LOVE of reading! I need to win because right now the only eBook source I have is on my PDA, which is really much too small. I would cherish a Kindle 2 and I would say really really nice things about you if you choose me!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #150
Mycropht
Optimist
Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Any other e-book reader in the same price range

I'm entering the giveaway! I want to win because I want an e-book reader so I could read on it, books mostly.

My choice is "Any other e-book reader in the same price range". I hope that at the moment of drawing prizes my entry will be eligible, i.e. any e-book reader will be officially purchasable in Croatia and also that it will be in the price range the MR Team envisioned. Actually, the latter is making my chances really slim as the Croatian prices (CP) of the imported technical goods are typically calculated by the following formula:

CP = MSRP (1) * VAT (2) * GF (3)

(1) US price converted from USD to EUR with exchange rate = 1

(2) Croatian VAT = 22%. Never mind that VAT is already included in the MSRP.

(3) Greed factor of the vendor. Could be anything. Really.

Now wish me luck trying to find "Any other e-book reader in the same price range" in the E-Book Devices forum.

Last edited by Mycropht; 06-20-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Closed Thread