Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #136
clowe1028
clowe1028 began at the beginning.

Device: Stanza
Has anyone already used the restore tool? I always get a

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot find backup folder; please specify it manually.

I already pointed it to the Backup folder with the wierdly named folder, still no luck.

Help?
clowe1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #137
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Why does Stanza fail to connect to the content server when it's already running?
I think I need to connect with the server on my iPhone, wait for the "not found" message, THEN start calibre (and the server) and retry to connect with the iPhone.

Somehow it's kinda buggy, but I don't know if it's Calibre's or Stanza's fault.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #138
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Why does Stanza fail to connect to the content server when it's already running?
I think I need to connect with the server on my iPhone, wait for the "not found" message, THEN start calibre (and the server) and retry to connect with the iPhone.

Somehow it's kinda buggy, but I don't know if it's Calibre's or Stanza's fault.
I have to log in twice now with the latest Stanza for some reason.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #139
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Works for me with the server already running.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #140
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I have to log in twice now with the latest Stanza for some reason.
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #141
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yes! I thought that was the default actually
I guess I probably don't need to.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #142
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Yes! I thought that was the default actually
I guess I probably don't need to.
It's not the default, in fact it cant b the default since you have to first set a password.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #143
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Works for me with the server already running.
Good for you!

I just tested it again and it works ... it's real hard to pin down, but sometimes I'm just out of luck. Usually when I'm about to go somewhere and just want to "quickly" transfer something.

I'll keep an eye on it, maybe I can find out who's to blame.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Update: Well, I tried all kinds of combinations, I can't get it not to work anymore.
Whoever fixed this: thanks!

Last edited by mores; 01-22-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:20 AM   #144
JayLaFunk
Connoisseur
JayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Hi,

I have my calibre library set up great on my net book and stanza on my ipod touch, have transferred my books and now reading them, thanks but as I am constantly adding to my calibre library on my netbook, is it possible when I next connect to stanza from calibre that any changes would sync over automatically, ie - new books, changes to original books, tags, notes etc.

When I was doing a manual update transferring books, I noticed that I had selected books that where already on stanza, now it is taking ages to delete the duplicates.

Regards
Jay
JayLaFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #145
spellmaster
spellmaster began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
Hi, I have a problem with exporting my ebooks to my ipod touch and I hope you can help me. I've always used stanza desktop, but yesterday I didn't manage to make it work. Looking for an alternative way, I discovered calibre and it really impressed me. However, I have the same problem also in this case, that is my ipod doesn't "see" the catalogue I have created. I followed the instructions in the first page, I also disabled the firewall, but without results. The error message is "Catalogue error - expired". could anyone help me?
thanks in advance
spellmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #146
ahveel
ahveel began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch, nokia e51
Hello,

Need a little help with my calibre+ipod touch problem too. I recently updated to the new stanza and now it can no longer see my shared books in calibre. It sees the server but can't load the books within. It just times out all the time.

I used to have this problem with the old stanza but it was an on and off situation. Sometimes I could see the books and most of the time I couldn't. Especially after adding a new book.

I usually try to restart my laptop and load calibre, it worked before but not now.

Has anybody else experienced this? I really don't know what to do. So lost. Any help would be really appreciated.
ahveel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:23 AM   #147
mores
Guru

Yes, I have the same issue, sometimes.
I found that the automatically implemented Calibre-Server (in Stanza) rarely works. I added my library manually, then. And every time Stanza and Calibre can't find each other, I edit the Calibre-Link in Stanza, then save and it's visible.

I don't know if it's Calibre's or Stanza's fault ... but somehow it just doesn't work 100%.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:47 AM   #148
Berylmary
Enthusiast
Berylmary began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, iPod Touch 3G, Sony PRS600, iPhone 3Gs
Can't afford an iPhone yet but I am reading some of iTunes free 101 classic books on my iPod Touch 3G and finding it very easy and comfortable to use so as a lot of the software seems to be the same as the iPhone I am hoping to use the phone in the same way when I get one.

I have not been able to access anything with my iPod so far that doesn't come from iTunes Apps. Is it possible to get books from other sources on to the iPod?

How do you get Stanza?

Last edited by Berylmary; 02-15-2010 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Forgot to ask
Berylmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #149
mores
Guru

Stanza is an App ... install it on your iPod Touch just like you would install any other app - via iTunes.

Then either use Stanza to browse online bookstores, or install Calibre on your computer, load books into it, start the content sharing server and use Stanza to transfer the books to your iPod.

Sounds complicated, but it's not.
First, install Stanza and get a feel for the program.

PS: the link to Stanza will launch your iTunes and you can download Stanza.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:54 AM   #150
Berylmary
Enthusiast
Berylmary began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, iPod Touch 3G, Sony PRS600, iPhone 3Gs
Thank you. I now have Stanza and it works fine.
One problem, RTF books which I used Calibre to convert to ePub only put the front cover on to the iPod. Books which I had downloaded as ePub originally and put into Calibre as such go on the Ipod via Stanza perfectly.
Stanza can't see RTF so conversion seems necessary.
Berylmary is offline   Reply With Quote