Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-14-2022, 01:05 PM   #136
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitingforatrain View Post
Well after some thought I think that I will order one. Am going to send them my old Kindle keyboard for $5 and 20% trade in towards another qualifying device. It has been sitting around useless so... Hoping that the Scribe qualifies for the 20%.
be warned that the 20% deal only applies when you purchase the scribe alone, despite the fact that amazon placed that 20% offer on every page where they are selling bundles. i went back and forth on this with amazon and that was what they told me. i found this out when i decided to purchase the scribe-pen-cover bundle and did the trade in. i did get the trade-in credit, but not the 20% off.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 03:49 PM   #137
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
That's interesting. Wish I'd known that before buying.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2022, 08:42 PM   #138
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
[QUOTE=rem736;4265544]be warned that the 20% deal only applies when you purchase the scribe alone, despite the fact that amazon placed that 20% offer on every page where they are selling bundles. i went back and forth on this with amazon and that was what they told me. i found this out when i decided to purchase the scribe-pen-cover bundle and did the trade in. i did get the trade-in credit, but not the 20% off.[/QUOTE

You get 20% off with trade in on all devices not just the scribe.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 01:30 AM   #139
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage
I got 20% + trade in on the scribe/premium pen combo. $84 off $419.99. will hold off on the cover for now. Will see what the third party options are like once I get the scribe.
Waitingforatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 09:51 AM   #140
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
The 64GB scribe is about the same price as the new 64GB ipad. I say the iPad is the better deal. Note taking experience is the same
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2022, 10:13 AM   #141
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
The 64GB scribe is about the same price as the new 64GB ipad. I say the iPad is the better deal. Note taking experience is the same
Not once you toss in the price of the Apple Pencil. Then it's considerably more (and with the new iPad it's still using the first gen Pencil with lightning despite the tablet using USB C so even more clunky). Then you have your usual eInk/LCD tradeoffs. The Kindle will be usable outdoors, the iPad not so much.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 10:52 AM   #142
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Not once you toss in the price of the Apple Pencil. Then it's considerably more (and with the new iPad it's still using the first gen Pencil with lightning despite the tablet using USB C so even more clunky). Then you have your usual eInk/LCD tradeoffs. The Kindle will be usable outdoors, the iPad not so much.
It's inexplicable why it doesn't support Pencil 2, and now pairing and charging Pencil 1 is even more goofy, as it requires an adapter. iPad 9 is still available and is $120 cheaper, and does not have this issue. Logitech makes a nice combo touch keyboard case for it.

To me Scribe would be a much stronger product if you could connect a physical keyboard to it.

Only mad dogs and Englishmen take notes in the midday sun.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 12:01 PM   #143
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
For me the Scribe will likely be at least 95% reading from my library, probably more like 99% so the advantages of a Kindle for reading make all the difference. I have a very current iPad and the pencil but don't really use it (the pencil).
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 06:46 AM   #144
wyzer
wyzer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 6.8"
I hope there will be an AppStore!!
Because I'm not only reading books from Amazon, but even articles from the web saved in Pocket, and New York Times, Feedly, ...
wyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 12:56 PM   #145
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe and Libra Colour
I don’t think it’s a case of choosing this rather than an iPad - totally different use cases imo. I have had some variety of ipad for the past eleven years. It has never stopped me getting ereaders - I use it for completely different things - e.g. forums, news websites and apps, occasionally videos. My daughter uses the pencil in a drawing app and, using all the layering, etc. techniques, in one particular app has produced professional standard digital art. But she is very talented in traditional media as well (translation of talented - she works at improving her skills for hours every single day, sells her artworks and is also at Art School). However, now she is at college, she now uses a professional digital drawing board which attaches to her MacBook, in addition to her iPad, which is more for fun these days.

My ereaders I use for reading books, and when my Scribe arrives, I look forward to using the notes, to see if this will be useful for me.

What will be nice is seeing maps etc., in my books at a decent, legible size. I also have a bunch of su doku and other puzzles on PDF, so I’m looking forward to trying out doing them with the pen.

Yes, I can do su doku and puzzles etc., on the iPad, and I do, but it will nice to have a screen that is easier on the eyes to try them on.

Last edited by Pjama; 10-25-2022 at 02:43 PM.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 01:42 PM   #146
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Is no one going to miss on-device handwriting recognition (and none has been promised)? Or ability to mark up eBooks free-form? Kobo Elipsa (and similar devices in this class) have this.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 06:33 PM   #147
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitingforatrain View Post
I got 20% + trade in on the scribe/premium pen combo. $84 off $419.99. will hold off on the cover for now. Will see what the third party options are like once I get the scribe.
apparently, the scribe alone means the scribe with the stylus. the price of 419 is for the 64 GB scribe and premium pen, not the "bundle" (+ cover + charger).
(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BSRTHL7...ing=UTF8&psc=1).

Last edited by rem736; 10-25-2022 at 06:41 PM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 04:12 AM   #148
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
If it came with Pocket (or Amazon offered a similar service other that sending websites as individual files), I‘d buy it.
Personally I think that, even with the lack of perpetual software support, a Boox Air is an all round better device. This may be Amazon‘s next Kindle DX. Software offers the bare minimum while the rest of the world has moved on already.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 04:53 AM   #149
wyzer
wyzer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
If it came with Pocket (or Amazon offered a similar service other that sending websites as individual files), I‘d buy it.
Personally I think that, even with the lack of perpetual software support, a Boox Air is an all round better device. This may be Amazon‘s next Kindle DX. Software offers the bare minimum while the rest of the world has moved on already.
Yes, Boox will be my second choice if a service like Pocket will not be available.
wyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:45 AM   #150
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
It would be nice to have handwriting recognition --- but as has been noted, there are competitors which already have that.

For me, the Scribe will primarily be an ereader --- one which I hope will be suited to use w/ a library of PDFs which I have --- but also one which will replace the many scraps of paper I have in my life:

- no more need for bookmarks in physical books (which aren't suited to reading on my Kindle Paperwhite) --- they'll be read as PDFs and if notes are necessary, made on the KS
- a notebook for work and project and personal notes and sketches will be replaced by the KS
- a paper notepad used for notes/reminders I use as a mousepad at my desk will go away (guess I'll need to get another 3M precision mousepad)

My one concern is stylus/digitizer compatibility --- has anyone heard on this? If its compatible w/ the current generation of Wacom EMR, I'm golden, and I'll probably buy a Wacom One as a third screen for my desk setup.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote