Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-12-2017, 08:38 PM   #136
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Somehow the notion of the cats being in charge doesn't seem all that far fetched.
When they decide to move the ones here certainly show that they know more about reference frames and red shift than some humans appear to . Also creating space out of nothing on occupied chairs is also no problem.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #137
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Talking about Time & Dimensions, and a fantastic author from the Golden Age, one should mention the wonderful John Wyndham, who was a very natural progression on from Verne and Wells. My apologies if he has already been mentioned. I did not see him in the first few pages of this topic, and it has now become a lot to read and gone off on various tangents, some that interest me and some that don't.

John Wyndham stood out almost alone at that time, in being from England and not America, yet writing great Science Fiction ... not common amongst Brits at the time.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #138
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
Talking about Time & Dimensions, and a fantastic author from the Golden Age, one should mention the wonderful John Wyndham, who was a very natural progression on from Verne and Wells. My apologies if he has already been mentioned. I did not see him in the first few pages of this topic, and it has now become a lot to read and gone off on various tangents, some that interest me and some that don't.

John Wyndham stood out almost alone at that time, in being from England and not America, yet writing great Science Fiction ... not common amongst Brits at the time.
Well rated in the 50's and today. Definitely belongs in a well-stocked SF library. His stories have been filmed almost as much as Phillip K. Dick.

Midwich Cuckoos has been filmed twice (1960 and 1995).
Day of the Triffids has been filmed twice. A movie in 1962 and a TV miniseries in 2009.
The Kraken Wakes (Aka, Out of the Deeps) takes a very different, yet logical approach to the alien invasion narratives. Earth is, after all, a water world. (Lots of radio adaptations.)

I prefer The Chrysalids (Aka, RE-BIRTH), though. Holds up extremely well after nearly 70 years. No video versions yet but there seems to be a trailer(?) from 2013 on youtube.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chrysalids

Edit: a whole bunch of trailers. Fan made the whole lot.
Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks it would make a good movie.

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-21-2017 at 10:41 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #139
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Well rated in the 50's and today. Definitely belongs in a well-stocked SF library. His stories have been filmed almost as much as Phillip K. Dick.

Midwich Cuckoos has been filmed twice (1960 and 1965).
I can't find a 1965 version, but I watched a 1995 version with Christopher Reeve in it last weekend.
Quote:
Day of the Triffids has been filmed twice. A movie in 1962 and a TV miniseries in 2009.
You missed the 1981 TV series. I remember enjoying this, but I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to watch now. I did watch the 1962 movie when the 2009 series came out and it was terrible.
Quote:
The Kraken Wakes (Aka, Out of the Deeps) takes a very different, yet logical approach to the alien invasion narratives. Earth is, after all, a water world. (Lots of radio adaptations.)

I prefer The Chrysalids (Aka, RE-BIRTH), though. Holds up extremely well after nearly 70 years. No video versions yet but there seems to be a trailer(?) from 2013 on youtube.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chrysalids

Edit: a whole bunch of trailers. Fan made the whole lot.
Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks it would make a good movie.
Yeah, I'd go and see a good version of The Chrysalids. It would fit in well with the recent crop of dystopia/post-apocolypse featuring teens.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:41 AM   #140
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I can't find a 1965 version, but I watched a 1995 version with Christopher Reeve in it last weekend.
Sorry. Typo. Yes, it was 1995.
I'll fix it.

For Chrysalids, I want to see what they do with the great horses.
I always suspected they weren't quite horse-like.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert