Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #136
callodacity
callodacity began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
@tshering, I have a Kobo Aura H20 - If I use the script from post #1 and put it in autoscript.sh on an external SD card, that will perform a reset, correct? (or is that only specific to the Kobo Touch..?)

Thanks again for your help

EDIT: just read that it works on the H2O on the other thread. Thankyou so much for your help !

Last edited by callodacity; 04-01-2016 at 06:45 PM.
callodacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #137
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
As you can see in the other thread, Frostschutz was so nice and tested the script on a H2O. So you should be ok.
Do not forget to use a unix style editor for writing/saving the script!
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #138
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are small changes in the start script of pbchess-2016.03. I will take care of them in the next update of KSM 8.
If you do not want to wait, please extract KoboRoot.tgz from the uploaded archive, and copy it to .kobo. Then (after safely ejecting and disabling usb) select (KSM home) handle updates > install update.

Edit: Maybe I should have mentioned that is not strictly necessary to apply KSM08_changes_for_pbchess-2016.03.zip in order to use pbchess-2016.03. There are only two changes in the start script. One is that it does no longer remount the external sd with write permission. The other seems to concerns only one of the games.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KSM08_changes_for_pbchess-2016.03.zip (1.5 KB, 310 views)

Last edited by tshering; 04-13-2016 at 03:53 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:37 PM   #139
JFeole
Connoisseur
JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo_Aura_H2O, Kobo_Aura_One, Kobo Sage
Has anyone loaded the new version of Coolreader (version pbchess2016.03.zip) on a Kobo Aura H20 yet?

I just tried and it doesn't appear to install?

I have an Kobo Aura H20 with KSM08 installed, and it is Kobo Firmware 3.19.5761..

I unzipped the KoboRoot.tgz into the .kobo directory, and then updated, but I don't then see the installed vlasovsoft directory, which i then move to the .add directory..

Any ideas?

Thank You.
John Feole
JFeole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:33 PM   #140
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nook_nerd View Post
Has anyone loaded the new version of Coolreader (version pbchess2016.03.zip) on a Kobo Aura H20 yet?

I have an Kobo Aura H20 with KSM08 installed, and it is Kobo Firmware 3.19.5761..

I unzipped the KoboRoot.tgz into the .kobo directory, and then updated, but I don't then see the installed vlasovsoft directory, which i then move to the .add directory..

Any ideas?
The instructions are in the first post and are quite clear. If you followed them, this would work. The fact that you "unzipped" something means you didn't. The step is "copy KoboRoot.tgz to the folder .kobo of the device" not "unzip KoboRoot.tgz to the folder .kobo of the device". And that's the problem with you Coolreader install as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #141
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:

Any ideas?

Thank You.
John Feole
Did you apply the patch to KSM8 that tshering provided in his post, (just before your's). Then it might install.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #142
JFeole
Connoisseur
JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Sorry..to clarify, I copied the koboroot.tgz file into the .kobo directory. I also did install tsherings patch jus before I tied the install..

Thanks,
JFeole
Old 04-13-2016, 03:39 AM   #143
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry..to clarify, I copied the koboroot.tgz file into the .kobo directory. I also did install tsherings patch jus before I tied the install..

Thanks,
JFeole
I just looked into the pbchess-2016.03_kobo.zip and found that the folder vlasovsoft is not included in KoboRoot.tgz, but is outside of KoboRoot.tgz. Therefore, use the method I describe in the next post.

Last edited by tshering; 04-13-2016 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:03 AM   #144
tshering
Wizard

How to install PBChess/Coolreader

• extract the folder vlasovsoft from the pbchess-20XX.XX_kobo.zip (1) and copy it into the folder .adds (on your device)
  • reboot the reader if you installed pbchess for the first time at this location
(1) for versions older than pbchess-2016.03, extract the folder vlasovsoft from KoboRoot.tgz, which you can find inside of pbchess-20XX.XX_kobo.zip.

Last edited by tshering; 04-13-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:54 AM   #145
JFeole
Connoisseur

Thank you Tshering for having a look at that. Worked fine following install method in prior post #144.

John Feole
Old 04-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #146
tshering
Wizard

If you cannot get usbnet working under Windows 10, you can follow the Tutorial Windows 10 signed RNDIS driver for USBNetwork, more precisely, the section that concerns the usage of the kindle_rndis.inf_amd64-v1.0.0.1.zip.

Last edited by tshering; 04-23-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #147
h1ro
Enthusiast
h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Glo HD
also for ssh access KSM recognizes the dropbear in the vlasovsoft from http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/files/...16.03_kobo.zip. To enable this I copied the vlasovsoft folder from inside the zip file to .adds/vlasovsoft/usbnet, then I ran "usbnet toggle.sh" with the KSM (without reboot).

user is root, password root or empty (i don't remember, changed it immediately afterwards with passwd).

It took me some time to figure this out, so to help other users, perhaps it's worth putting this information into the first post?

I'm stuck though with using my public key for authentication: where can i put the authorized_keys file to enable ssh login without password?

There should probably also be directions for how to create a new ssh host key for security, even though I expect no kobo hacker to hack someone else's kobo
h1ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #148
h1ro
Enthusiast
h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Glo HD
some other questions about power saving strategies:

testing shows that when i enable wifi, then go into koreader, then let the device go to standby, wifi stops working. i'd say that is supposed to happen because in standby wi-fi should be off.
But is there also a reason it doesn't reconnect after coming back out of standby?

Are there still any known power issues or does it work perfectly now? So far, my 1 week test went really well!
h1ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:37 PM   #149
tshering
Wizard

How to start vlasovsoft's Dropbear SSH from KSM

If vlasovsoft's pbchess package is installed on your device, KSM can start Dropbear SSH together with usbnet ("usb" > "usbnet toggle.sh"). With "(KSM home)configure" you can allow or prevent this behaviour by setting [general]useDropbear to true or false. The default value is true.

Last edited by tshering; 05-01-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #150
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1ro View Post
some other questions about power saving strategies:

testing shows that when i enable wifi, then go into koreader, then let the device go to standby, wifi stops working. i'd say that is supposed to happen because in standby wi-fi should be off.
But is there also a reason it doesn't reconnect after coming back out of standby?
This is a question you might want to ask the Koreader developers. You could do something like this in Koreader's suspend.sh:

Code:
# Disable wifi
if lsmod | grep -q sdio_wifi_pwr ; then
	wlarm_le -i eth0 down
	ifconfig eth0 down
	rmmod -r dhd
	rmmod -r sdio_wifi_pwr
	echo "[$(date +'%x @ %X')] Kobo Suspend: Killed WiFi"
	enableWifi=true
else
	enableWifi=false
fi

#...
# Then at the very end of the script
if [ ${enableWifi} == true ]; then
	/adds/kbmenu/scripts_intern/wifi/wifi_enable_dhcp.sh
fi 
This script supposes that KSM is installed and wifi is expected to be started by wifi_enable_dhcp.sh rather than wifi_enable_static.sh. A script for general distribution would have to check for such things and provide other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1ro View Post
Are there still any known power issues or does it work perfectly now? So far, my 1 week test went really well!
I do not know for sure, but I guess there are still problems. The developers of Koreader will know the answer.

Last edited by tshering; 05-04-2016 at 06:34 AM.