Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-06-2015, 07:54 AM   #136
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The instructions for the KoboTouchExtended driver have me confused too. I think you can just put kobo_extra.css in the root directory of the device like you do with the standard KoboTouch driver, but maybe you need to copy it to the Calibre plugin directory with the device-specific name like kobo_extra_AURAHD.css?
The extended driver does a little more with the kobo_extra.css. It will look in a configuration directory and if there is a file that matches the name expected, it will copy that to the root directory of the device. It uses the device name to build the file name it looks for, but the device part is removed when it is copied to the device. If the file isn't in the config directory, it won't copy anything and will use what is already on the device.

Nick: "root directory" always means the top most directory of the file system. For a Unix-like system, this will be "/". For Windows, it will be "C:" or "D:" or whatever for the drives on the computer. I would also never suggest putting non-Kobo files inside the ".kobo" directory. That is Kobo's province and they can do what they want there. Including cleaning up alien files. I don't think they do, but I wouldn't risk it for anything important.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #137
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
beat by davidfor

Last edited by cramoisi; 06-06-2015 at 08:00 AM. Reason: bbdf
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #138
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
The instructions for the KoboTouchExtended driver have me confused too. I think you can just put kobo_extra.css in the root directory of the device like you do with the standard KoboTouch driver, but maybe you need to copy it to the Calibre plugin directory with the device-specific name like kobo_extra_AURAHD.css?
I am still fighting, kobo_extra_AURAHD.css doesn't work, tried kobo_extra_GLOHD.css but if you don't know where to place it it is difficult to do,eject the reader,put it on again, and for both standard KoboTouch and GloboTouchExtended what do they mean with root.. in my case the glo is on drive H.. so is root just H:\ or H:\.kobo\ I know it is not the best topic to ask here but a lot of topics are very fragmented.. it is even difficult to find out of the extra css for the Glo HD is supported by the KoboTouchExtended driver.

I tried the standard driver and just converse the epub to kepub, that works,but when I try to transfer it,it only transfer the epub,not the kepub.. I know there is a plugin for that to..but it makes it so difficult having dyslection on how to install that, when I double click on the kepub windows ask me which program to opened with it.
And when I "screw" something, I must remember which driversettings I changed or not,what do I change,what must be enabled within Calibre and what to put back to keep it working..it works fine now but that takes me ages,with a lot of help. calibre and Kobo use my native language so options called in topics don't have the same names in mine..
Because of the minor stroke,it will only be more difficult.. I write down every step I do because the short memory doesn't work that well in combination with the dyslectic, but I fight and thank everyone for the patience.

I don't like the kepub's.. but in 3.15 the pageturns for kepubs work a lot faster than with epubs now..but I have to change my whole system for it and sets me for new problems like the hyphenation for kepubs..first you managed to set it all to kepub and then you stumble into the next problem..Hyphenation.. what will be next,or in release 3.16 possible so I have to change it all again

/edit @Davidfor sorry it tooks me long to write this,and in the mean time you already clarified some things, so I gonna work on them, thank you.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #139
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My wife understands my struggle and just offered me a perfect solution
A paper book..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150606_143130.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	139046

Well.. we handle both my problems with humor

I give up.. stumbled into the next problem..
In order to get the extended driver working, the basic driver must be disabled.
But then the topic says (startpost of the extended driver doesn't even mention the possibility for an extra css) to put a device name css in the plugin directory of the basic driver made by David.
But.. that one must be disabled... and I have a Glo HD which seems not to be supported by the plugin.

I know this is all going offtopic but that started because I asked if it was possible to patch the device.
I can use Calibre to make a kepub and insert the values of the normal extra_css that the basic driver uses, but then calibre will not transfer that one to the device, only the epubs.. it is all to fragmented.
David and Geoff does a good job and update the start topic to keep it up to date, including Murg to keep his firmware topic up to date, but all the other ones are to fragmented, you must sometimes read 85 pages to find the most updated information.
I give up there seems no simple way to disable all Hyphenation out of Kepubs by a patch so I have to try to get answers in other topics to avoid the going "off topic" here.
I tried it for the last time here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1276
Thank you all for being so patient to me.

Last edited by Nick_1964; 06-06-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:03 PM   #140
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I thought kobo_extra.css would be the eastiet way, but if not then there are other ways to modify the stylesheet without manually editing each book. You could use the Modify Epub plugin which has an "Append Extra CSS" option which does the same thing as kobo_extra.css, except it takes the CSS from Calibre's Preferences > Common options > Extra CSS setting.

From what I have seen most publishers don't change the default hyphenation, so in most cases kepub books shouldn't have any hyphenation at all unless you have turned it on yourself with the KoboTouchExtended driver or by choosing full justification in the Aa menu (the latter can be avoided with the `Set kepub hyphenation` patch.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2015, 09:10 AM   #141
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
I thought kobo_extra.css would be the eastiet way, but if not then there are other ways to modify the stylesheet without manually editing each book. You could use the Modify Epub plugin which has an "Append Extra CSS" option which does the same thing as kobo_extra.css, except it takes the CSS from Calibre's Preferences > Common options > Extra CSS setting.

From what I have seen most publishers don't change the default hyphenation, so in most cases kepub books shouldn't have any hyphenation at all unless you have turned it on yourself with the KoboTouchExtended driver or by choosing full justification in the Aa menu (the latter can be avoided with the `Set kepub hyphenation` patch.)
I would look in to that,thank you again GeoffR
Old 06-28-2015, 01:25 PM   #142
Gothamite
Gothamite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Hey guys.

I seem to have a problem with pinch to zoom option.
Anyway I found a solution but I don't understand the steps of installing the firmware as I'm new to all this.

As for #1 I don't understand where am I supposed to extract patch_kobo_3150.zip exactly?
As for #2 I don't know what download into without extracting means. So if anyone can help me patch this firmware it would be awesome guys, thanks.

Anyway my Kobo is Aura and I'm running 3.15.0 version.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:21 PM   #143
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
As for #1 I don't understand where am I supposed to extract patch_kobo_3150.zip exactly?
Anywhere you like, it doesn't matter. But if you are using Windows avoid extracting it to a directory containing an ampersand '&' character.

Quote:
As for #2 I don't know what download into without extracting means.
When you download the file and the browser asks you where to save it, enter the location of the 3.15.0_source subdirectory from wherever you exracted the patch_kobo_3150.zip to. If the browser doesn't ask you where to save files that you download, then you'll have to find where it has saved it and move it to the 3.15.0_source subdirectory.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:00 PM   #144
Gothamite
Gothamite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Anywhere you like, it doesn't matter. But if you are using Windows avoid extracting it to a directory containing an ampersand '&' character.

When you download the file and the browser asks you where to save it, enter the location of the 3.15.0_source subdirectory from wherever you exracted the patch_kobo_3150.zip to. If the browser doesn't ask you where to save files that you download, then you'll have to find where it has saved it and move it to the 3.15.0_source subdirectory.
Gotcha, thank you!
I just wasn't sure about the difference between extracting and moving, that 'do not extract' got me confused
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:52 PM   #145
had
had began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd, aura h20, elipsa 2e
Quote:
The code that the `Custom Sleep/Power-off timeouts` patch changes can only use values from 0-255. Although the register used to hold the timeout value is 32-bit and can hold much larger values, the code uses a 16-bit 'thumb' instruction to load the register, and there isn't room to use a wider instruction in the patch. It could be that the timeout function can accept larger values, but there is no way to load those larger values without re-writing the code.
I put a value of 960 in KoboReader.conf and it sleeps after approx 16 hours.

Maybe the patch could load the most significant byte of the word, instead of the least significant byte? Then we could set very large values in increments of approximately 4 hours. That is, if the thumb instruction could put a '6' into the other byte of the word, we'd have approximately 6 x 4 (around 24) hours.
had is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:57 PM   #146
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by had View Post
I put a value of 960 in KoboReader.conf and it sleeps after approx 16 hours.

Maybe the patch could load the most significant byte of the word, instead of the least significant byte? Then we could set very large values in increments of approximately 4 hours. That is, if the thumb instruction could put a '6' into the other byte of the word, we'd have approximately 6 x 4 (around 24) hours.
There are 32-bit instructions to load constants larger than 255, or to load and shift/rotate small constants in one instruction, but I don't know of any way to do it with a 16-bit instruction.

There are 16-bit instructions to load a value from memory if it is not too far from the location of the loading instruction, but it is a matter of luck whether the value you want to load exists within range.

There are 16-bit instructions that can load one register from another and shift/rotate the value at the same time, but you need to have a register with a known value to start with, which might require re-writing the existing code.

Re-writing the code to make enough room to add some instructions is possible, I did it for the "My 15 line spacing values" patch, but it can be a lot of work.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:10 AM   #147
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Thank you very much Geoff! I finally found the time to print your instructions, read all the thread and DO IT. The advanced fonts control will widen the fonts I can use and now I can read with Caudex even in low lighting. I like the search in library by default too.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote