Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #136
Indigo Ink
The curious one!
Indigo Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook, Ebookman 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I agree: not for reading I wouldn't.

However for a professional usage, I'd naturally have different needs and parameters of what I'd put up with. For that I'd love to have something that size. Especially if I could integrate using it with OneNote -- I've been using that application for about 8 months now, and it's really working well for managing my projects. An A4 reader with stylus support that could talk to OneNote would be really nice.

Although, I wouldn't be carrying it around all that much, and when I did, it'd be in a briefcase, which handles things in that size range nicely.
So which tablet pc are you using (I presume you are using onenote with some sort of tablet pc) and if you do, do you do any professional reading on the tablet as well? How does that feel compared to the e-ink devices?

Last edited by Indigo Ink; 04-29-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #137
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm using an HP/Compaq TC4400, and no, I try not to read on the thing if I can help it. I even use an external monitor when I'm not traveling. I do love taking it to meetings to take notes on, but if I could come up with an A4 e-ink device that would fill that niche, I could switch back to a normal laptop and probably have less trouble with the crapware that came on it (work can't give me a clean install of XP Tablet, because they don't have a license for it, so I'm stuck with some of the crapware ).
Advert
Old 04-29-2008, 02:16 PM   #138
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Suppose you could project a holographic screen from your ebook reader. How large would you want it? (i.e. no penalty for larger display)
Old 04-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #139
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll take two!
Old 04-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #140
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Suppose you could project a holographic screen from your ebook reader. How large would you want it? (i.e. no penalty for larger display)
Newspaper size. So I could spread it over my desk and refer to multiple documents at once.
Advert
Old 04-29-2008, 05:30 PM   #141
aleks
Connoisseur
aleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook & Sony Reader
Robert at Astak responded to my query on the projected cost of the 9.7 inch model:
The projected cost so far for a full boat 9.7 inch is "under $350". This is the best estimate I have.
If that holds true then, that is an awesome price!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:07 AM   #142
aleks
Connoisseur
aleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook & Sony Reader
And some more bit of information from Astak...
I am finally finding time to get something on our website (www.astak.com) on the Mentor eBooks. I have been on the road for two weeks. It should be up soon.

Once it is up I will try to update promptly on availability and where it can be purchased. I expect, almost immediately, that Wal-Mart and Costco and Target will be selling it... or I can sell it to you also. We also are sure that Fictionwise (ebooks) will be carrying our full line!

Bob Barry
They are sure being ambitious about the Mentor!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:18 AM   #143
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks aleks for the updates !! i'm quite interested to see these devices when they are finalised.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #144
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks View Post
They are sure being ambitious about the Mentor!
I'm quite eager to see the rascal, myself.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #145
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
And does anybody know if they are going to be avalaible worldwide?

L.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #146
NatCh
Gizmologist

I'm not sure we know when they'll be available at all.

I think they were aiming at June on that, but these things seem to be perpetually delayed.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #147
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
All three of these devices will be unveiled at the IDPF Trade Show in New York on May 14.
Anyone going to be in New York on May 14th?
Old 04-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #148
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Anyone going to be in New York on May 14th?
I might be able to be there.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #149
camarotx
camarotx began at the beginning.

Device: None YET
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gester View Post
I think I need to subscribe to your newsletter...that's exactly what I dream about.

First, I want to replace my TX with a good reader, but ultimately I want a PDA with a decent-size screen. I don't want a small laptop or even a UMPC, I want a reader that's easier on the eyes and with some notetaking, personal organization and, at most, easy text entry abilities.
Exactly what I want as well. A larger screen PDA/reader color or BW really doesn't matter to me as my current paper and pen are black and white and that is really all I need

This cannot be that hard to produce and market.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:57 AM   #150
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarotx View Post
Exactly what I want as well. A larger screen PDA/reader color or BW really doesn't matter to me as my current paper and pen are black and white and that is really all I need

This cannot be that hard to produce and market.
Producing it is not an issue. Selling it is a HUGE issue.

Such items were the trend years ago. Most of the ones with larger screens used a mini-laptop configuration, but some were convertible to tablets (the Intermec 6651 was quite nice) and some were only tablets (Viewsonic made one at some point). The products were there and, sadly, stayed right on the shelf. As much as I personally liked them, they just did not sell well.

Smaller machines, the actual PDAs, did well for a while with Palm, HP/Compaq and Psion (internationally) doing very well. The next trend, however, was convergence, which brings us to the smartphone world we have today. Jealousy of the Blackberry connectivity was also an issue. While I loved my Psion Series 7, and it was far more functional than a smartphone, it was not nearly as portable or as connected.

Mini-laptops have been around for quite some time, and can fill some of the need if you do not mind the battery life. Modern sleep modes have made up for a lot of the start-up time issues. And new processors (the Atom, for instance) promise to continue improving the battery sitch.

One of the big issues from years ago remains for many people, and that is price. The price for these larger or advanced PDAs often rivals that of the inexpensive laptops (especially the recent wave of Eee-PC wannabes), and the PDA generally offers fewer features or less performance or expandability. Of course, if you really want the features it does offer (portability and convenience), it is not really much of an issue.

If a PDA is a good fit for you, and I am starting to lean that way myself recently, HP and Palm both still sell them, though not with the larger screen you request. For that, look at some of the new MIDs (Mobile Internet Devices) or Nokia's line of Internet Tablets for some nice solutions.

Jack
Closed Thread

Tags
astak mentor, e ink, e-book reader, idpg show, touchscreen, wireless