Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #136
daldred
Enthusiast
daldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to behold

Device: Elonex eb511
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Lol its available for download in the developers corner under direct links to firmware. It is available for download for your ereader device.

regards

Jack
Thanks, Jack. Got it and it looks good so far!
daldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #137
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donads View Post
I heard the 2.10.0 update removed detailed stats on sideloaded kepubs converted by the KoboTouchExtended plugin, which is why I haven't updated my Glo. Could anyone tell me whether this feature has been restored for sideloaded kepubs or is it still missing?
Why not search or read forums here.

NO. THE STATS ARE NOT BACK.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #138
Donads
Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Why not search or read forums here.

NO. THE STATS ARE NOT BACK.
No need for the caps, as I've searched and read a couple of pages on this thread but hadn't had time to read through all of it as I used to do. Still, thank you for confirming it.
Donads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #139
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
I heard the 2.10.0 update removed detailed stats on sideloaded kepubs converted by the KoboTouchExtended plugin, which is why I haven't updated my Glo. Could anyone tell me whether this feature has been restored for sideloaded kepubs or is it still missing?
Its still missing. And there is talk about adding a feature to enable it in the extended driver, but that creates a different set of problems if it is. Kobo seems to ignore user needs instead to push their own private agenda... but then since that agenda is to sell their books, you cant fault them too much for it. But it would be nice to see some logical features for the end users. Features that enhance the reading experience regardless of the book should be uniform across the board its not rocket science to get that concept.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #140
MetalOllie
MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.MetalOllie knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
For once I got impatient and sideloaded 3.0 on my Touch. Very, very glad I did. Although there is a significant bug with sleep mode & covers, the performance upgrade from 2.6.1 is unbelievable.

I keep my Shadowrun 5th Ed core rulebook on my Touch (on a 2GB SD card.) It's a fairly large (44.2MB) graphics-heavy PDF. under 2.6.1 things were slow. Zooming in on a page with a double-tap could take seconds. Under 3.0 it's virtually instantaneous. I can't believe it's the same device.
When you say there's a bug on sleep mode and covers, do you mean that you can't set yours to full screen covers, only a small screen? When I set mine to full screen, I just get a text cover? The screenshots on the first page of this thread seem to indicate that full screen covers work, although they don't for me. I'm using a Touch, and I'm not sure if those screenshots refer to Touch, Glo or Mini, as they all look fairly similar, and it's hard to judge size from screenshot.

I'd like my full covers back, but have no idea how to get them.

MetalOllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #141
Donads
Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Donads turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Quote:
Its still missing. And there is talk about adding a feature to enable it in the extended driver, but that creates a different set of problems if it is. Kobo seems to ignore user needs instead to push their own private agenda... but then since that agenda is to sell their books, you cant fault them too much for it. But it would be nice to see some logical features for the end users. Features that enhance the reading experience regardless of the book should be uniform across the board its not rocket science to get that concept.

regards

Jack
It's a shame, as I really love that feature. Still, being able to hide reading progress and sleeping/powered off state from the cover is definitely something I've wanted.

I've tried updating it today but all I got was 2.10.0, and I can't really remember whether when you update downloading the firmware to the \.kobo folder it just updates as if from syncing, or it kinda resets everything. Guess I'll just have to wait until it updates itself
Old 11-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #142
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's a shame, as I really love that feature. Still, being able to hide reading progress and sleeping/powered off state from the cover is definitely something I've wanted.

I've tried updating it today but all I got was 2.10.0, and I can't really remember whether when you update downloading the firmware to the \.kobo folder it just updates as if from syncing, or it kinda resets everything. Guess I'll just have to wait until it updates itself
Downloading and extracting will result in the same update result. the choice is yours to make. my experiance has been always favourable. But bottom line is some of us prefer to wait for it to sync across. Some times though its weeks b4 that happens..

Regards

Jack
Old 11-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #143
YarnerT
YarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to behold

Hi everyone, I plugged my Kobo Touch in today and synced it but it didn't update to the new firmware. Has it been rolled out completely? Is it for all Kobo Touch devices?
YarnerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #144
Donads

Quote:
Downloading and extracting will result in the same update result. the choice is yours to make. my experiance has been always favourable. But bottom line is some of us prefer to wait for it to sync across. Some times though its weeks b4 that happens..

Regards

Jack
Just tried it and it updated just fine. I guess I've done more resets than fw updates haha, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarnerT View Post
Hi everyone, I plugged my Kobo Touch in today and synced it but it didn't update to the new firmware. Has it been rolled out completely? Is it for all Kobo Touch devices?
You can get it here if you don't want to wait until they roll it out for everyone.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #145
YarnerT
YarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to behold

Thanks, I've never sideloaded, so I guess I'll just have to wait for it. I hope it updates. My Kobo touch hasn't taken the updates since 2.5.2.
YarnerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #146
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarnerT View Post
Thanks, I've never sideloaded, so I guess I'll just have to wait for it. I hope it updates. My Kobo touch hasn't taken the updates since 2.5.2.
Its not complicated.
Its very easy to manually do it.

Basically you download the correct firmware for your model, or the verstion you require.

you copy it over to the .kobo directory
and un zip it there
you eject your reader and it updates.

exactly like the over the air firmware does.

it reboots.
your done.

Some things to keep in mind if you have books on an external sd card, sometimes its best to remove the card till the update is finished, some people have had issues with reboots when that was not done, the solution was to eject the sd card and do the update or reboot with the card removed. then reinsert the card after the reader is updated and booted into its operating state.

If you use calibre it would not hurt to back up the data base(kobo utilities plugin), just incase. I have just under 5000 ebooks so this has saved me loosing the stats, and read books when I had to log out and in. You should back up the data base before you reboot and install the firmware when you connect to the desktop any way regardless if you manually installed the firmware or the desktop downloaded it.

That said it can take from a few days to few weeks b4 you see the firmware and in some case newer firmware supersedes the firmware you might be expecting. Regardless its all about choice, so wait or not its all up to you .

regards

JAck
Old 11-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #147
spud357c
Enthusiast
spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Glo and Nook Color
Anyone know if the roll out of this firmware has been halted?
Last post mentioning an upgrade was days ago and I have been trying to update both mine and my wife's without success.
I know I could sideload but find it surprising how slow this roll out is going.
spud357c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #148
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud357c View Post
Anyone know if the roll out of this firmware has been halted?
Last post mentioning an upgrade was days ago and I have been trying to update both mine and my wife's without success.
I know I could sideload but find it surprising how slow this roll out is going.
Nope not heard anything, but if you wish the update a link to kobos download source is available on the first post in the firmware sticky on the developers page. Just ensure you choose the correct one for your device.

regards

Jack
Old 11-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #149
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Well, I side-loaded 3.0 on my Touch a while back, and I gotta say, I'm impressed.

1) PDF handling is much, much snappier. Paging through my Shadowrun 5th Ed book is a breeze now. Zoom-ins and zoom-outs are almost instantaneous, opposed to taking seconds to accomplish with 2.6.1.

2) Annotations work perfectly for books on the SD card. My weird "all pages before the bookmark are dog-earred" bug is gone.

3) I like the new home page. I especially like that the current book shows the number of annotations and gives you the option to go right into the list.

4) Image zoom in kepubs is kinda neat. I saved my local newspaper as a kepub, and I could zoom in on the non-text pages. Pity they weren't of high enough resolution to zoom properly but hey, that's not Kobo's fault.

Problems:

1) Cover management is severely messed up. I can't do full-screen covers of side-loaded material at all. Sometimes the covers of Kobo material vanish and won't return unless I turn on wi-fi. Smaller covers work... most of the time, but when I turn off they often use oddly low-res versions.

2) Still haven't fixed annotations for stuff in main memory.

All in all though, the benefits have far outweighed the drawbacks for me.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #150
spud357c
Enthusiast
spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Glo and Nook Color
jackastor, I checked the firmware thread but the Mark 4 version which says it if for the Glo specifies model N905C.
My Glo is a model N613 - so it would appear there is no version 3.0 firmware available for mine.
Am I correct in saying this?
spud357c is offline   Reply With Quote