Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: August 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Sh*t My Dad Says by Halpern, Justin 11 13.25%
The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler 22 26.51%
Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett 10 12.05%
Don't Sleep There Are Snakes by Daniel Everett 6 7.23%
The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman 5 6.02%
Life of Pi by Yann Martel 3 3.61%
Aspects of the Novel by E. M. Forster 6 7.23%
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak 11 13.25%
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell 7 8.43%
Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure by John Cleland 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #136
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

1st Moderator dreams used to post the useful information. I remember once our most distinguished chairman, not yet doubling as man of the law in fancy westerns, even called her to order.

2nd At the onset of the warm season she got splashed, while doing some do it yourself calistenics with her swimming pool pump (you now: clank, schiuff, or equivalent sound effects), got to the emergency, ended up using only very large fonts on her computer screen. Details searchable on the usual cry on my shoulder thread.

3rd progress. That point is in fact a strictly personal, absolutely undocumented, opinion. Since the time of Horace, old geezer like me complain about the ever increasing diluition of the will to work of the new generations.

the rest is personal stuff between me and dreams.

Kenny, my dear friend, I suffer from anomia benigna, that is I am forgetting the names of people. This has some advantages as I am developing better descriptive funtionalities. Examples on request. But you, you are forgetting the people. you know people, two legs. no tail. just one head. people.

Unless that during dreams performances you were engaged in some fancy encounter of the III type.

for real
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #137
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
OMG! You killed Kenny! You bastards!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #138
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
What day will the discussion thread go up?

Is it always on the same date of every month?
Yes, it is always the 20th.

That is also when the nomination thread for the next month is started. The new nomination thread is put on the front page, the discussion thread is not.

However, the discussion thread for the current month is stickied... the sticky is removed on the 20th of the next month.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #139
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverY View Post
Having voted for a book that doesn't look like it will win , I want to get "The Guns of August" by Barbara W. Tuchman. I have read a few of her books in the past and they were wonderful. I didn't think any of them were available in ebook format.

That being said, is there a site that I can get both a Sony version, for my husband, and a mobi/kindle version for myself, with one purchase price? This is one book that both of us would enjoy.
Do you mean of the Chandler book or the Tuchman book?

BOb
Old 07-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #140
RiverY
RiverY
RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindles, Sony, & nc
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Do you mean of the Chandler book or the Tuchman book?

BOb
Tuchman.

Although, reading the description of the Chandler book, both of us would probably enjoy that too.
RiverY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #141
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverY View Post
Tuchman.

Although, reading the description of the Chandler book, both of us would probably enjoy that too.
I was going to say, with the Chandler book, you could buy your legit copy then download the DRM free version here to put on your other device. Technically copyright violation but morally ok.

BOb
Old 07-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #142
glowhappy
lost my wits...
glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I was going to say, with the Chandler book, you could buy your legit copy then download the DRM free version here to put on your other device. Technically copyright violation but morally ok.

BOb
so a wrong and a right cancel each other out?
glowhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #143
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowhappy View Post
so a wrong and a right cancel each other out?
If the "wrong" you are talking about is publishers putting DRM on their ebooks... then YES!

BOb
Old 07-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #144
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
There have been various volunteers in the past that put together links to the nominated books....it's a bit of work though....
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
They promoted dreams, that also had that problem with eye kissing her swimming pool cleaning fluid. It is the progress, my friend.

One like dreams will take a long time to develop. Ciao dreams.
Ciao beppe!

I'm starting to post a bit more now, but one eye is still very sore and becomes tired and red. Pure liquid chlorine and eyes do not mix. I was very, very lucky, but it is taking a bit longer than I thought to be comfortable for reading for long periods.

It's nice when members, who nominate a book, add links to the book in their post so we can go check it out.

I'll try to post when the next new book club nomination thread starts with a post that gathers all the links in one post.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #145
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
It's nice when members, who nominate a book, add links to the book in their post so we can go check it out.
That is a good suggestion. So far when I've nominated a book, I've only checked whether it was widely available. It would have been little work to include the links
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #146
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Why, thank you, BOb!

Attachment 55817
Aiiiieeee!!!! AiiiiiiiiEEEEE!!!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #147
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I have a question, after reading this review from a user on Amazon:
Quote:
IF YOU HAVEN'T READ ANY CHANDLER, you should stop reading this and go take a look at his first Marlowe novel, The Big Sleep. It's worthwhile to read them in order, or at the least, to read that one first... you'll get a good feeling for whether or not you like Marlowe, and you'll learn a bit more about him.
Should I read "The big sleep" before I decide about reading The long Goodbye? I've not read anything by Raymond Chandler from before.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #148
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
Should I read "The big sleep" before I decide about reading The long Goodbye? I've not read anything by Raymond Chandler from before.
Nope... Just read "The Long Goodbye". You'll gain nothing extra from "The Big Sleep", except maybe a better appreciation of Chandler.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #149
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Thank you jgaiser for your advice, I don't know if I would have time to read both books before the discussions start, especially since I'm in the middle of another book. I think I'll jump right to: The Long Goodbye I guess I can always come back and read more from Chandler if he takes to my liking.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #150
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So why did so many people vote for a book in the middle of a series? Thing is, it never should have been nominated being in the middle of a series. I rather dislike reading a series out of order.

How many who voted knew this was part of a series and not the first book?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote