Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-16-2008, 10:47 PM   #136
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
It's not entirely up to the device. The format also comes into play.

Sometimes footnotes in ebooks are just inserted below the paragraph in which they would appear. Others have links that take you to a footnote page at the end of the text, with a return link. Obviously this only works if you have some way of activating the link. On the iLiad, I use my stylus. I'm not sure how devices like the Sony Reader handle this. Anyone else want to chime in?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:37 AM   #137
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
My Cybook is handling the Wee Free Men that I bought from Fictionwise fine; use the up and down key to select the asterisk, click enter and it brings up the footnote, then use 'menu' and 'back' to return to text (there might be an easier/better/different way but I was figuring it out as I went, in the bath LOL)
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2008, 05:55 AM   #138
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Now I'm torn between whether or not to wish that a e-book edition of Nation is available on launch, as I Want to get the Hard back, but want the convenience of the e-book
OK, I may have imagined seeing Good Omens in an ebook store, but have checked and seeing Nation was not such a figment. Books On Board have it listed as 'Coming Tuesday, September 30, 2008'
Old 08-17-2008, 06:30 AM   #139
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
OK, I may have imagined seeing Good Omens in an ebook store, but have checked and seeing Nation was not such a figment. Books On Board have it listed as 'Coming Tuesday, September 30, 2008'
Ooh ok.

I had checked at fictionwise, as I have some MicroPay Rebates to spend, but as for the decision, I'm still torn
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:45 AM   #140
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I may/must have missed this; but could someone recommend which book to read first, just to get a handle on Pratchet ?

thankyou kindly

Geoff...

(Cybook still awaiting feedback, I'm having to read (coughs) a p-back)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2008, 06:55 AM   #141
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I may/must have missed this; but could someone recommend which book to read first, just to get a handle on Pratchet ?...
If you start on the first page of this very thread, you will see this very question asked by desertgrandma, and then answers intermingled over many of the pages.

I would, and did, recommend starting at the beginning (the order in which they were written), but I also recommend reading all the answers in this thread, as they offer other reasoning that may appeal more to your personal preferences.

There is no wrong answer (unless it is something like "Read The Da Vinci Code first")

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:02 AM   #142
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
My Cybook is handling the Wee Free Men that I bought from Fictionwise fine; use the up and down key to select the asterisk, click enter and it brings up the footnote, then use 'menu' and 'back' to return to text (there might be an easier/better/different way but I was figuring it out as I went, in the bath LOL)
Clicking the "Back" hardware button is easier. Second button up from the bottom on the left side of the machine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:26 AM   #143
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
If you start on the first page of this very thread, you will see this very question asked by desertgrandma, and then answers intermingled over many of the pages.

I would, and did, recommend starting at the beginning (the order in which they were written), but I also recommend reading all the answers in this thread, as they offer other reasoning that may appeal more to your personal preferences.

There is no wrong answer (unless it is something like "Read The Da Vinci Code first")

Cheers,
Marc
Your concern for my welfare and health is much appreciated, please do not charge me for your advice; I shall treat it with the con...................s
Old 08-17-2008, 07:29 AM   #144
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Start at the beginning with Colour of Magic. It never makes sense, but it makes more sense if you know the players.

Thank you phsrynk, I'll pay you the money instead ....
Old 08-17-2008, 07:35 AM   #145
Mindy
Away with the Faeries

Having trawled back through the thread would definitely re-iterate my recommendation of 'Good Omens' but also possibly 'The Carpet People' which, while I haven't read for years, I think was the first Pratchett I ever read swiftly followed by Truckers, Diggers then Wings, and is another good stand-alone, non-Discworld (if I remember correctly). When Pratchett says 'Young Adult', he really means 'Young Adult' and not a kids book where there happens to be a mention of death (as opposed to Death, of course).
Of course, since you'll invariably become addicted anyway you might as well just wade straight into the Discworld stuff!
Old 08-17-2008, 07:41 AM   #146
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
On the Sony 500/505, if there is only one footnote on a page, it is automatically selected and all you do is push the enter button to jump to the footnote which is on a sperate page in the back of the book. if you have multiple footnotes on the same page, you use the arrow keys to select which one you want and then hit enter. To go back, you just history back and you return to where you were.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #147
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I tried The Colour of Magic a couple of times and just couldn't get into it. The first Discworld book I read all the way through was Mort, I think. Might have been Equal Rites, which was so-so. In general, the DEATH and witches stories have been the ones I've enjoyed the most. The wizards get on my nerves. (I admit I do like the Librarian, however. )
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #148
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I tried The Colour of Magic a couple of times and just couldn't get into it. The first Discworld book I read all the way through was Mort, I think. Might have been Equal Rites, which was so-so. In general, the DEATH and witches stories have been the ones I've enjoyed the most. The wizards get on my nerves. (I admit I do like the Librarian, however. )

ah, so sorry, will change....
Old 08-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #149
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post

Cheers,
Marc
Or, he could start out reading the Da Winkie Code.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #150
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Or, he could start out reading the Da Winkie Code.

or alternatively he could just do his own thing and make his own mind up....

pfffft

Tags
terry pratchett, unutterable silliness