Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-24-2018, 11:23 PM   #136
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
From the number of books finished on my Tolino Epos and KA1, I've managed to read ~190 ebooks so far in 2018. Quite a few were re-reads (Belgariad and Malloreon for example plus re-reading Wen Spencer's Tinker/Elfhome series just in case Harbinger is released in my lifetime ). Probably 20 or so of the new reads will make my to be re-read list.

Quite a few were read at work on the graveyard shift. Unless we have an upgrade or other IT project requiring downtime planned for graveyard, you are literally just sitting there and waiting for something to break so I find it about the most boring way I've spent 7.5 hours -- kind of like the old comment about hours of boredom punctuated by seconds of sheer terror. Reading helps to keep me awake and from getting bored enough to do something that I shouldn't do like touching a production switch or server outside of a scheduled maintenance window.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-24-2018 at 11:32 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:48 AM   #137
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Ah, yes, the joys of graveyard shift. I know them well. I spent most of the years between 1976 and 1998 working the graveyard, and it quite grew to be my preferred shift. I did get a good deal of reading done, but mostly I napped when we didn't have a call. We'd usually come in, deal with whatever 2nd shift had left over for us, then deal with the few new items, and then take a break until later in the morning when the calls would start to come in again. (At Uniroyal, workers were on piece work so if they had a chance of making their quota, they'd push through problems and wait to call things in, if they could.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #138
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Made to six books read so far in March also, but since I just started a couple more books on different devices I know won't finish either one before April. I alternate reading from each device depending on my mood. So I never know which one I will finish first.

Just read Age of Myth, a new series by Michael J. Sullivan. I've been reading first books in a series, so I have plenty to read when I finish this challenge.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:25 PM   #139
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
This has been an awful reading month due to work related travel, which is finally done!

I have only completed 1,300 pages, my lowest monthly total since the end of 2011 which was the year I received my first Kindle. I need to average 2,500 pages/month to meet my yearly goal so a fairly significant slip.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:43 AM   #140
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
So apparently I read 3 books in Jan, 6 books in Feb and 12 in March. With the best will in the world I very much doubt I'll read 24 in April!
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2018, 08:47 AM   #141
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I wasn't doing dreadfully until today. My TBR was one down on the start of the year. And then there was a sale on the Inspector Morse and Inspector Montalbano series. 18 books and £22.42 later, and my TBR is now 17 above what it was at the start of the year.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #142
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I wasn't doing dreadfully until today. My TBR was one down on the start of the year. And then there was a sale on the Inspector Morse and Inspector Montalbano series. 18 books and £22.42 later, and my TBR is now 17 above what it was at the start of the year.
Fortunately, I stocked up on Morse during one of the Great 90% Kobo Coupon sales. I just checked and I have the full set. Montalbano I don't know, so can easily ignore.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:11 AM   #143
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Work has been slow lately, and so I have been getting a lot of extra reading time in. I am actually ahead.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:15 PM   #144
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
I can't say I'm doing well this year. Not even keeping a proper record of my reading activity. Hope April will be better.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:45 AM   #145
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I completed three books in March, two of which were on my TBR list/goal for the year.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:37 PM   #146
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I was doing okay this month until I got bronchitis a week ago. From Tuesday onwards I haven't read, only today I felt that I would be able to concentrate on my book again.

So a bad month for me. Also, listening to a podcast has replaced my before sleep reading time.

In March I've read seven books, 2838 pages. That's almost 1000 below average for me in March. But I did really like the books I've chosen to read in March, so that's an improvement from February.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #147
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Goals:

Total Books: 50 (stretch goal of 75) | Total Pages: 25,000 | TBR Reduction: 25 (stretch goal of 50)
Read at least 51% non-American authors | Read more female/gender-fluid authors than male | Read at least 52 short stories | Read at least 10 of the New Leaf Book Club selections | Complete a re-read of the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation of War and Peace

Aggregate Totals (Updated through March):
  • 46 books - 92% of my goal (61% of stretch goal) - on target; might expand again
  • 23 short stories - 44% of my goal - on target
  • 12,783 pages - 51% of my goal - on target
  • 48% female/nonbinary authors / 52% male authors - off target - Balance improved by 1%
  • 52% US authors (down from 60%) / 48% non-US authors (up from 40%) - off target but making gains
  • 95 of 365 chapters of War and Peace complete - on target, but behind if i I don't get 7 or 8 chapters in this week
  • TBR Reduction: Reduced by 20 - 80% of my goal (40% of stretch goal) - on target
  • New Leaf Book Club selections - 4 for 4 - on target - though I could not participate in the Hemingway discussion because I was too damn sick.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:55 PM   #148
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Total Books Read: 39
Annual Rate: 158
Pretty good, just below my stretch goal.

Books bought: 49 <-- NOT GOOD. 10 more than I've read! The TBR is going the wrong way.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #149
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Finished the Wretched of Muirwood, for my fantasy challenge this month. So far I have been really enjoying this challenge. I also have been reading more books this year, but I think it's more to do with the crappy weather we've had. I've found I'm reading a little more on the weekends.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:40 AM   #150
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've just gone through making sure my counts match between the list in the challenge thread and in calibre.

It looks like I might make 40 books read in Jan/Feb/Mar/April, so I'm on course for around 120 books for the whole year. A bit down on my recent totals because of a change in my commuting from train to car.

My TBR continues to grow.... but at least I'm pleased with all my purchases this year.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote