Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #136
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Excellent! PilotBob!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #137
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
OK,

So here is the "final proposal"...

January
Science Fiction (rivets/science)
February
Romance
March
Nonfiction
April
Humor
May
Classic
June
Thriller/Suspense
July

Fantasy (trees/magic)
August
Free For All (any genre)
September
Mystery/Crime
October
Horror
November
Classic
December
Wild Card (no nominations, a vote of all the non-winning nominations from the last 11 months)

So, all the months are full.

I think we aren't going to agree 100% with everyone... but I think this seems to be the best compromise and includes all the genre's that most people have suggested.

BOb
I disagree with his list. it doesn't have months that are for MR books only and months that go outside MR. My list does that.

January 2010
Science Fiction/Fantasy (from MR)
February 2010
Mystery/Thriller
March 2010
Nonfiction
April 2010
Humor
May 2010
Classic
June 2010
Romance (from MR)
July 2010
Autobiography/Biography
August 2010
Any book not at MR
September 2010
Mystery/Thriller
October 2010
Horror
November 2010
Science Fiction/Fantasy (not from MR)
December 2010
Any book uploaded to MR

And when is it that Fantasy is all about trees? And when is SF all about rivets? Besides, two months of classic are one month too many. Also, crime is too broad a topic to be used.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-24-2009 at 08:49 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #138
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I disagree with his list. it doesn't have months that are for MR books only and months that go outside MR. My list does that.

January 2010
Science Fiction/Fantasy (from MR)
February 2010
Mystery/Thriller
March 2010
Nonfiction
April 2010
Humor
May 2010
Classic
June 2010
Romance (from MR)
July 2010
Autobiography/Biography
August 2010
Any book not at MR
September 2010
Mystery/Thriller
October 2010
Horror
November 2010
Science Fiction/Fantasy (not from MR)
December 2010
Any book uploaded to MR

And when is it that Fantasy is all about trees? And when is SF all about rivets? Besides, two months of classic are one month too many. Also, crime is too broad a topic to be used.
Jon, frankly, you pretty much disagree with everything unless it's exactly how you want it. Not everyone is going to want to have it exactly how you want it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #139
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I vote BOb!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #140
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
OK, next order of business.... the schedule of when the Nomination, Vote and discussion threads should be started.

Basically what I have been doing is:

Nomination thread, second to last week for 7 days prior to the month the nominations are for.

Vote/Poll, after the nom thread for 7 days (the poll may end in the month being voted on if the final week of the prev month isn't a full week.)

Discussion thread, the first day of the last (full) week of the same month.

There have been some suggestions to do the nominations more ahead of time, or make the thread last longer.

Also, there have been some people looking for the discussion thread because they finished the book the first week of the month, or even before that.

Also, there has been a suggestion that the person that originally nominated the book sort of lead the discussion with some question. My concern with this was that would discourage people from nominating books.

What perhaps we could do is come up with a template for the discussion thread that could fit with every book like:

What did you think of the main character?, What was your favorite part of the book?, What part didn't you like? etc. People could use it sort of like a form letter when the post their inital thoughts of the book.

Discuss... (should I start a new thread for this?)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #141
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I don't really have any opinions on times of nomination, etc. I'm usually so absent-minded I just forget when they are, so it's always a suprise
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #142
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Also, there has been a suggestion that the person that originally nominated the book sort of lead the discussion with some question. My concern with this was that would discourage people from nominating books.

What perhaps we could do is come up with a template for the discussion thread that could fit with every book like:

What did you think of the main character?, What was your favorite part of the book?, What part didn't you like? etc. People could use it sort of like a form letter when the post their inital thoughts of the book.

Discuss... (should I start a new thread for this?)

BOb
I would be disincentivised by the prospect of leading the debate - on a worldwide forum I'm not sure it would be easy to be online long enough to do it.

But maybe the nomination could have a few pointers for potential discussion in addition to the synopsis - a bit of background about why the nomination was put forward.

I like the idea of the form letter though, I think that'd encourage more participation after the read.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #143
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
I am a little bit surprised that no one here seems to care about children's books.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #144
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
I am a little bit surprised that no one here seems to care about children's books.
I considered suggesting YA as a category, and decided there's probably not enough appeal, especially since young adult books are often very short, not suitable for a month-long book club consideration.

However, nothing prevents anyone from suggesting a children's book in its appropriate genre--The Little Prince as science fiction or classics; Peter Pan as fantasy or classics; Little Brother potentially as thriller, and so on. Very few YA books are released as ebooks; there's not a lot to choose from, and many that are available, aren't good on portable readers; they suffer from the lack of color or image quality.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #145
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I also considered YA as a category, but didn't for the same reasons already mentioned.

MR author / member Stan Morris (morriss003) wrote YA novels: Surviving the Fog (free on MR) and Tales of the Ragoon, Sam's Winnings (at Smashwords).

His works would qualify as YA, MR author/member uploaded book on MR, MR author/member book not uploaded on MR, and sci-fi (IMO). So his work could be nominated in other categories.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #146
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
That can be covered in the Free for All month.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #147
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Maybe because we are not children?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #148
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe because we are not children?
But most of us were probably children when we fell in love with reading - the books we read then are often still treasured.

Don't you have any books you remember with fondness from your days as a nipper?
Old 09-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #149
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I think Young Adult or children's books or whatever also fall into the traditional genre's. For example, Harry Potter would be Fantasy. Ender's Game would be SF.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #150
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I think Young Adult or children's books or whatever also fall into the traditional genre's. For example, Harry Potter would be Fantasy. Ender's Game would be SF.

BOb
Agreed
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote