Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
eBook Viewer recompressing in a non-standard way?

I'm creating some ePubs via script. They pass ePubCheck validation. They read fine, and seem to be constructed properly.

If I open and close the ePub with Calibre's Viewer, however, I cannot thereafter extract the archive nor read any file in it -- except that I can get a listing/directory structure. If I don't use the Viewer, I can reopen, edit, and recompress at will.

My archiver complains as follows when I try to examine content.opf:
Code:
7-Zip 9.04 beta  Copyright (c) 1999-2009 Igor Pavlov  2009-05-30
p7zip Version 9.04 (locale=en_US.utf8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,2 CPUs)

Processing archive: /home/cap/Desktop/SHARED/Library/Stout_Rex/NeroWolfe/20_PrisonersBase/PrisonersBase.epub

Extracting  content.opf     Unsupported Method

Sub items Errors: 1
ePubCheck validates the file after the Viewer is done, so there's obviously something different in how the files are being decompressed between apps.

"Unsupported Method" is a dead giveaway that it is not a bug, just a difference.

This does not happen if I open it with FBreader first -- only with eBook Viewer.

I'm on Ubuntu 10.04, using Calibre 0.7.2.

Any thoughts on how I can access these "View"ed ePubs?

cap
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I dont see this. calibre uses the standard zipfile module (part of the python stdlib) to create zip files,

For example doing

ebook-viewer myfile.epub && unzip -l myfile.epub

works fine for me
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
I'm creating some ePubs via script. They pass ePubCheck validation. They read fine, and seem to be constructed properly.

If I open and close the ePub with Calibre's Viewer, however, I cannot thereafter extract the archive nor read any file in it -- except that I can get a listing/directory structure. If I don't use the Viewer, I can reopen, edit, and recompress at will.

My archiver complains as follows when I try to examine content.opf:
Code:
7-Zip 9.04 beta  Copyright (c) 1999-2009 Igor Pavlov  2009-05-30
p7zip Version 9.04 (locale=en_US.utf8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,2 CPUs)

Processing archive: /home/cap/Desktop/SHARED/Library/Stout_Rex/NeroWolfe/20_PrisonersBase/PrisonersBase.epub

Extracting  content.opf     Unsupported Method

Sub items Errors: 1
ePubCheck validates the file after the Viewer is done, so there's obviously something different in how the files are being decompressed between apps.

"Unsupported Method" is a dead giveaway that it is not a bug, just a difference.

This does not happen if I open it with FBreader first -- only with eBook Viewer.

I'm on Ubuntu 10.04, using Calibre 0.7.2.

Any thoughts on how I can access these "View"ed ePubs?

cap
Maybe that version of 7-zip has problems.

I can open a Calibre (viewer modified) EPUB with the standard Ubuntu (Lucid 32 bit) Archive Manager.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
capidamonte
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

I'm using 7-zip with file-roller, and you're using unzip. That's the clue.

I've tried it from the command line: unzip works, but 7z doesn't. Searching around the web, looks like 7z has bugs -- and the purported fix (install p7zip-rar) doesn't seem to fix it in this instance.

File-roller uses 7z; so it doesn't work, but only after Viewer recompresses it -- it works fine opening WinZip'ped files. (My script runs in a virtual machine.)

Workaround is to ditch file-roller and switch to xarchiver. So thanks for the clue.

cap
Old 06-13-2010, 12:05 AM   #5
capidamonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Maybe that version of 7-zip has problems.

I can open a Calibre (viewer modified) EPUB with the standard Ubuntu (Lucid 32 bit) Archive Manager.
I'm running Lucid 64-bit, Xubuntu. But mine is an upgrade, not a fresh install. There could be something wacky.

Got a workaround. I'll be doing a fresh install for a computer switch and I'll check it out more.

Thanks for helping,

cap
Old 06-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm running Lucid 64-bit, Xubuntu. But mine is an upgrade, not a fresh install. There could be something wacky.

Got a workaround. I'll be doing a fresh install for a computer switch and I'll check it out more.

Thanks for helping,

cap
Mine is multi- time upgrade (started out as Hardy or Gutsy)

I probably will re-instal since I managed to do something bad to the startup of the "Windows Manager" After Log-on, I have to always click on Appearance, and set "effects" before it will start.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
capidamonte

You mean Compiz?

cap
Old 06-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
You mean Compiz?

cap
I think so. I reinstalled Compiz, but it still fails to start until I select: Appearence, effects Normal., then it starts but it does not last through a reboot.
Many versions ago had this problem according to the Ubuntu Forum, but there are no reports for Lucid.
I probably Screwed with something I shouldn't have and broke it.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #9
capidamonte

It's probably some sort of inherited setting, that didn't get upgraded.

I use Xubuntu, which doesn't really use Compiz -- there are some simple compositing effects available, built-in.

Do the reinstall, it's worth it and if you export Synaptic markings to your home-directory, back it up and then copy it back after the install (and import the markings to Synaptic) you are at least 90% back to normal (and the last 10% are pretty minor.)

I usually do an app-by-app restore of my home-directory, though, especially if there are some settings issues.

cap

Tags
7-zip, compression, ebook viewer, epub, error