Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #31
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
I just tested it again. It looks like the problem I described above with 3 or more layers of folders causes stalling only shows up when it's in your SD card. If you're working with the internal memory, then you can embed it in as many folders as you want.
Which suggests that it is more a timeout than a software error, access to a SD card being slower.

And to clarify, my example

MySDroot/New Fictionwise/SF Shorts/More M-Z

was on a 2GB SD card

Changing the battery to a newly rechaged one has seems to fix these intermittent faults for me
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #32
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Which suggests that it is more a timeout than a software error, access to a SD card being slower.

And to clarify, my example

MySDroot/New Fictionwise/SF Shorts/More M-Z

was on a 2GB SD card

Changing the battery to a newly rechaged one has seems to fix these intermittent faults for me
True, true. Still, I'd avoid it if I can. 2 layers of folders is good enough for me.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #33
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
True, true. Still, I'd avoid it if I can. 2 layers of folders is good enough for me.
Obviously it's a YMWV but this thread is about weaknesses so I would like to know other's experiences with deeply nested structures.

I have just generated a 7 deep set of nested folders and while there were some glitches it seems to work.

(a) it took Windows XP 10 minutes before it was willing to admit it was safe to disconnect the USB plug

(b) there was then a problem with nothing happening once the Books//Settings screen was reached - I did a reset by removing the batteries and everything was then fine.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #34
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Obviously it's a YMWV but this thread is about weaknesses so I would like to know other's experiences with deeply nested structures.

I have just generated a 7 deep set of nested folders and while there were some glitches it seems to work.

(a) it took Windows XP 10 minutes before it was willing to admit it was safe to disconnect the USB plug

(b) there was then a problem with nothing happening once the Books//Settings screen was reached - I did a reset by removing the batteries and everything was then fine.
We have already determined that you can nest as many folders as you want in the internal memory. It's the SD card that will give you problems.

Note that right now I'm using a micro in an adapter, so that may also affect the performance.

Use win 7, dude.

Last edited by jblitereader; 05-02-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #35
jblitereader
Addict

edited - nevermind.

Last edited by jblitereader; 05-02-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #36
Little.Egret
Wizard

Quote:
We have already determined that you can nest as many folders as you want in the internal memory. It's the SD card that will give you problems.

Note that right now I'm using a micro in an adapter, so that may also affect the performance.

Use win 7, dude.
I correct and clarify.

On Sunday, using a library PC, I generated a 7 deep set of nested folders on an SD card and while there were some glitches it seems to work (firmware 14n still ).

(a) After 10 minutes Windows XP was still unwilling to admit it was safe to disconnect the USB plug so I released the SD card, got the message and pushed it in again.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #37
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
(a) After 10 minutes Windows XP was still unwilling to admit it was safe to disconnect the USB plug so I released the SD card, got the message and pushed it in again.
So far, this has been the only issue I have run across. I corrected the problem by getting a cheap ($5) SD reader at a local office supply. Using this instead of the jetbook-as-USB-reader helps to avoid the lockup issue in the jetbook and it also makes file transfers a lot faster.

As long as you pop the card out of the jetbook and push it back in while the jetbook is on, it sees the change and adjusts itself accordingly.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #38
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I've noticed another issue with the eReader format. The Jetbook Lite crashes back to the main screen if you try and open a book in eReader format with a large number of chapters. Page count doesn't seem to matter just a large number of chapter breaks. I noticed it with the complete Sherlock Holmes and most of the Kenneth Davis Don't Know Much books. The books will open when converted to ePub though it can take a couple of minutes before they open. Seems to be a memory limitation of the JBL.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #39
grndslm
Enthusiast
grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.grndslm has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I agree no linking plus a lack of Table of Contents is a weakness of the jetBook Lite. I did not realize that these were not supported when I bought the device.
It's not supported in html files either??
grndslm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #40
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
It's not supported in html files either??
I don't know if links work in html. I use ePub and links don't work in ePub and that is basically html. My kids have the readers so maybe someone else test this out for you.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #41
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I find that whether jBook will open a 'supported' file is a hit-or-miss thing. If it misses, I'd just move on and use another device to read. I've long given up on expecting it to open every epub, rtf, etc.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #42
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
I've long given up on expecting it to open every epub, rtf, etc.
All I have set up on my kids readers are epubs. I've opened up over 100 without a problem, but so far my kids have only read around 10. Maybe the latest firmware handles epub better. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #43
Little.Egret
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
I find that whether jBook will open a 'supported' file is a hit-or-miss thing. If it misses, I'd just move on and use another device to read. I've long given up on expecting it to open every epub, rtf, etc.
If my JBL refused to open a rtf that WordPad accepted I would be seriously upset. Same for any PDB/ eReader book I had paid for which isn't available in anothe format. This hasn't happened so far but I have already found PDFs that it won't open - but then my oldish PC won't open some either.

And HTML that IE won't read (eg, sees as blank) isn't unknown.

And as to the query above, the JBL has no mean of following a link to another document in HTML but seems to do a fair job on images if not stylesheets.

HTH