Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 04-16-2007, 07:02 AM   #16
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef
The Motofone does not have a backlight. The blue LEDs that light up the buttons may cast some light up towards the display thus causing the effect and look if a backlight.
It does. Along the sides of the display (actually, that's not a backlight but a sidelight, but...)

And the LED's are not blue, they are white. Want a photo?
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:12 AM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus
Want a photo?
What do you think? Of course we want a photo!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:11 PM   #18
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Here there be photos, then

Couldn't bother to drag the tripod and flash out (it's 3am and i'm falling asleep at the keyboard), so sorry for the grain and motion blur. Now that i've put the Reader and F3 next to each other, it would appear i was wewy wewy wong when i said it's screen had a noticeably lower contrast. It's actually the opposite - the Reader's screen has a much more inferior contrast
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1942_resize.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	3157   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1945_resize.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	3158   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1959_resize.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	3159   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1956_resize.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	3160   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1952_resize.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	3161   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1968_resize.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	3162   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1970_resize.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	3163  

Last edited by orcinus; 04-16-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:48 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Wow, orcinus, several of those could be marketing pix! Good job, and thanks!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:23 AM   #20
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It does. Along the sides of the display (actually, that's not a backlight but a sidelight, but...)

And the LED's are not blue, they are white. Want a photo?
Fine, they're white. At first look, I thought the LEDs looked a little blue. That's all. But I refuse to agree with the fact that it has a backlight. Your picture shows that the light source is at the bottom of the display. This says that the light is coming from the keypad. The light further up the display is just extra light coming from those LEDs.
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:31 AM   #21
orcinus
Gadgeteer

Kehm... Extra light that's stronger (or as strong) on the top than on the bottom?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1970_note.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	3172  
Old 04-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #22
jimmyzou
Connoisseur
jimmyzou began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader; Kobo; Nook color
Quote:
Here there be photos, then

Couldn't bother to drag the tripod and flash out (it's 3am and i'm falling asleep at the keyboard), so sorry for the grain and motion blur. Now that i've put the Reader and F3 next to each other, it would appear i was wewy wewy wong when i said it's screen had a noticeably lower contrast. It's actually the opposite - the Reader's screen has a much more inferior contrast
Hi,Orcinus, where did you get the Motofone? I want buy one also, nice picture

Last edited by jimmyzou; 04-25-2007 at 08:52 PM.
jimmyzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:33 AM   #23
orcinus
Gadgeteer

Er... It's an engineering sample the local Motorola office lent us for review purposes. It should've been on sale in prepaid T-Mobile packages here in Croatia by now, but it still isn't for some reason.

There seem to be an abundance of them on ebay, but the prices are rather absurd - 50-60 USD.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:51 PM   #24
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

reason why they are 1.5-2x retail cost on ebay is because they already come unlocked and can be used anywhere if you buy the right frequency band for your country. they markup the price because they do the work for you of unlocking the phone for you.
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:04 AM   #25
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I bought one now and will write a short review when/if I have some time.

Price was 31 Euro + Shipping (40 altogether)
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote