Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur
Alan Baxter doesn't litterAlan Baxter doesn't litter

Device: Laptop for now, iPhone soon.
Best way to sync Stanza?

So I've got my iPhone at last. Woot!

I've got the Stanza app and I have a bunch of pdf, doc, etc. files on my laptop. What's the best way to get them into Stanza to read them on the iPhone.
Alan Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Congrats..welcome to the Apple club..

I have found Calibre to be the best for this purpose. You can also try ShelfServer.
You can find more in this thread here.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

Thanks, I'll check that out.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:25 AM   #4
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

I had a read through that thread and it seems a lot more complicated than what I need. I had a read of some other ideas and came across this method:

Sharing by uploading books to a web site (for epub or eReader)

1. If your books are in any format but eReader or epub, you need to first convert your books to epub using Stanza Desktop.
2. Create a free account at http://box.net if you don't already have one.
3. Upload the ePub or eReader files to your box.net account.
4. In Stanza on your iPhone, go to the Online Catalog.
5. At the bottom of the page, hit the plus sign.
6. Select "Add Web Page".
7. For the name, enter "box.net", and for the URL enter "box.net". Tap "Save" in the upper right corner.
8. Select "box.net" from the bottom of the Online Catalog.
9. The box.net mobile site will load in Stanza's embedded browser. Log in with your username and password.
10. You should see the book(s) you uploaded. Tapping the link to the book will automatically download the file and install it in Stanza's library.

This seems very straightforward and easy to me, so I set up a box.net account and uploaded some books (I don't have very many ebooks at this stage!)

Then I did the setup thing in Stanza on the iPhone. However, when I went to select Box.net from the online catalogue it did nothing for ages and then timed out.

Any ideas what went wrong there?
Old 09-19-2009, 04:06 AM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I use this method, and it works well. I only can find in tho problems: bad connection or it isn't asking your for user and password. In my case, it worked the first time.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:20 AM   #6
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

The connection is good - I'm using my home wifi. It's timing out before it asks for user and password. It doesn't actually find the site.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:03 AM   #7
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

OK, connection was a problem! I've fixed that now and it all works!
Old 09-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm glad. I use that method and DiskAid (I've not wifi at home)
Old 09-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Good that you have found a method that works for you.
I would personally opt for a more personal solution like calibre. I dont trust public sites to not re-distribute my uploaded files. But I guess that is true of most other public offerings like webmail too.

--hari
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:39 AM   #10
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

Sure, and I think a handful of ebooks in box.net is unlikely to be even noticed!
Old 09-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Baxter View Post
Sure, and I think a handful of ebooks in box.net is unlikely to be even noticed!
Besides, they live there only for a short time
Old 09-20-2009, 08:35 AM   #12
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

Very true.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #13
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Use stanza desktop to share the book, then import it to the iPhone.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Use stanza desktop to share the book, then import it to the iPhone.
Only if you have a nice wi-fi network.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #15
madmaxmedia
Connoisseur
madmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony CLIE TG50
The nice thing about using Calibre is that you can have covers, metadata, etc. But that method using box.net looks pretty good, as is using the Stanza desktop app if you don't have too many books.
madmaxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote