Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-27-2024, 06:45 AM   #2776
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
We've had some small home improvements made recently, and every one of the companies charge 2-3% if we use a credit card. So we pay with checks. This fee is not unusual, it is more the norm now than ever with plumbers etc.

We only get 1% on those purchases, so it doesn't make sense to use the cards. It's annoying, but the way it is.

Typically, we only write a few checks per year. I'll use my online bill pay if the company is set up to receive electronic payments, but most of these companies are not. If I use online bill pay to pay a bill and the company doesn't accept electronic payments, the bank prints a paper check and mails it snail mail. 2 payments sent that way went missing, so I no longer do that.
Do they also charge a fee for using a debit card?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 08:11 AM   #2777
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Never blame on stupidity what can be attributed to malice.
A rolling stone gathers no moss.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 08:49 AM   #2778
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
A rolling stone gathers no moss.
Unless the stone rolls over the moss and picks it up on the way over.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 09:12 AM   #2779
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't know for sure, but am think most still charge the fee when using a debit card. They pay the fee for accepting card payments, regardless.

We stopped using our debit card for POS many years ago. It carries the same protections as a credit card, (or did, there have been changes at our bank) but it ties up the account if there are problems. We only use the debit card to get cash from the bank.

I think it is simplistic to say there is no reason for using checks. My 93 year old mom still pays her few bills with checks, because it is the only method available to her. She does use a debit card at the grocery store, and believe me, that took some convincing. It is rung as a credit card, no inputting her PIN. There are still locally owned retailers who don't take card payments, so if you want to shop there, you need to write a check.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 05-27-2024 at 09:17 AM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:19 AM   #2780
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
My Credit Card Service Provider charges me 1.5% on credit cards and $0.15 on each debit charge regardless of the amount. The companies that are charging people for using credit cards and debit cards are definitely making a profit. Most are charging 3% to 5%. I do not charge extra to use a card. The majority of my customers are using debit cards over credit cards. I also offer a 5% discount to customers who pay for their repairs or custom orders in advance.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 11:42 AM   #2781
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I remember back when checks used be used in a supermarket. It was really annoying having to wait for check to be written and the transaction to be finished.

I cannot see the need at all for personal checks.
In the USA
'Civil Asset Forfeiture' (only a few states have recently banned the practice.)
Go watch some You tubes.
Make Robin Hood look like a great neighbor

I used to pay cash for anything under $25 because I also knew how much the merchant pay in fees for card use. (My break even point was $5 on pre-marked items. That was JUST for the item. )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 11:51 AM   #2782
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I used to pay cash for anything under $25 because I also knew how much the merchant pay in fees for card use.
In tap-crazy Europe I've seen signs saying that you're welcome to use contact-less cards for anything. The implication being gum, etc.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 12:01 PM   #2783
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
The % in not the ONLY FEE or Expense.
Fees can change depending on Annual Volume.

Connection (harkens to Dialup days) or Transaction fee (this does not include YOUR Phone/wireless/data service charges billed separately.
Equipment rental / purchase / maintenance, everything else needed just to accept a card.

Penalty fees.
Hand Keyed (not swiped),
Charge back (disputed),
Returns (the merchant is still on the hook for the original sale AND the return transaction charges.)

And one included, I had not known for a long time. (CC processing service) referral Sales commission. My boss let slip: 1/2 cent for every transaction on service he got the merchant to use as part of the Point of Sale equipment he sold.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 02:12 PM   #2784
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
In tap-crazy Europe I've seen signs saying that you're welcome to use contact-less cards for anything. The implication being gum, etc.
Yeah, mostly everyone uses cards here for everything. Cash sometimes too, especially kids. No checks. As in, writing a check doesn't exist here; it's cash or a card, or a phone payment. Or direct debit, in case of electricity and other recurring payments.

Last edited by Sirtel; 05-27-2024 at 02:14 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 03:31 PM   #2785
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Pretty much the same here when it comes to payments. Debit/credit card by tap unless you exceed the limit in which case chip & PIN, mobile payment or cash though quite a few places no longer take cash. Recurring payments all come directly from the bank. If it wasn't for needing coins for shopping buggies, I wouldn't carry cash at all.

When it comes to payments, the USA suffers from having to replace older infrastructure—those POS terminals aren't free—so they seem to lag well behind everywhere else.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 03:58 PM   #2786
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I remember when the Rogers outage took down Interac all across Canada.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 04:28 PM   #2787
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I forgot, we used a check for the large down payment on a car. The dealership would only allow $2k on a credit card, max of two cards. We had sold stock and had the down payment in our checking account.

The stock transaction was electronic and fast. Not even 2 business days.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 08:22 PM   #2788
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also forgot that merchants have to be PCI Compliant (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard), or you will pay more in processing fees. You have to run these scans every three months and if you do not pass you have to figure out what is wrong and fix it. Then rescan. If you are not PCI compliant you will pay more in charges.
Apache
Old 05-27-2024, 08:59 PM   #2789
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
If you are not PCI compliant you will pay more in charges.
And if you don't achieve compliancy in your annual review, you can be subject to monetary punishment and/or termination of your processing services until you can prove that you are compliant.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 05:28 AM   #2790
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
And if you don't achieve compliancy in your annual review, you can be subject to monetary punishment and/or termination of your processing services until you can prove that you are compliant.
Yep, and PCI Compliance transfers liability due to fraud from the service provider to the merchant.
Apache