Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-26-2024, 07:12 AM   #2746
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
eBook publishers changing the covers for seemingly no good reason. Especially when they change it to a generic stock-photo cover. Yuck!
I cannot stand when a book gets made into a movie or TV show and the cover gets changed into some still from the movie or TV show and it looks terrible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 07:22 AM   #2747
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Fortunately it's easy to change covers in Calibre.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 07:36 AM   #2748
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Fortunately it's easy to change covers in Calibre.
Yes it is. But the problem is why bother to change the cover to something awful?
Old 05-26-2024, 07:40 AM   #2749
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes it is. But the problem is why bother to change the cover to something awful?
Because marketing people must somehow justify their existence...
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 07:58 AM   #2750
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I cannot stand when a book gets made into a movie or TV show and the cover gets changed into some still from the movie or TV show and it looks terrible.
It's logical, though I agree that often the result is poor.

Sadly authors often have little say, even when it's not on TV/Movies. Read Ursula Le Guin's comments on “Earthsea” covers, as well as her rant on the miniseries. Also read what Anthony Horowitz wrote about the Alex Rider “Stormbreaker” film and the promised sequel. Not seen the TV version or read about it. He wrote a certain person into a later book and had him get beaten up.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 09:13 AM   #2751
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Sadly authors often have little say, even when it's not on TV/Movies.
Eh. They endorse the checks*. I prefer Liberace's take on matters of taste.

*Yes, I know no one physically endorses checks anymore.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 09:27 AM   #2752
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

I do.
I do not get as many checks as I used too or cash for that matter. Cash and checks are physically deposited in my stores bank account. I still have to make change orders too.
Apache
Very Old Business Owner
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 09:40 AM   #2753
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

On both counts (I no longer own a business, else it would be three)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 11:01 AM   #2754
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Eh. They endorse the checks*. I prefer Liberace's take on matters of taste.

Technically cheques still exist here, but most businesses, some banks and no Government dept will take them. I've not seen an Irish cheque in 20 years.

I don't think any bank takes non-Irish ones now. IBAN is more secure than other money transfers or cheques and varies from cheap to free. Amazon USA even pays us by IBAN.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:25 PM   #2755
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Lighten up, Francis.
Of course I took it out of context.
Never blame on stupidity what can be attributed to malice.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 02:02 PM   #2756
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
When buying beer and asked for an ID you can whip out your checkbook to prove how old you are.

Checks are still to be found in this country. I just wrote one the other day, signed it and endorsed it.

In most parts of the US they have signs, "No third party checks". In the south, where they aren't too good with math you can find signs saying, "No second party checks".

And who can forget this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ralphs.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	208518  
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 02:58 PM   #2757
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Because marketing people must somehow justify their existence...
How do they justify their staff who make poorly coded/formatted eBooks?
Old 05-26-2024, 03:00 PM   #2758
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's logical, though I agree that often the result is poor.

Sadly authors often have little say, even when it's not on TV/Movies. Read Ursula Le Guin's comments on “Earthsea” covers, as well as her rant on the miniseries. Also read what Anthony Horowitz wrote about the Alex Rider “Stormbreaker” film and the promised sequel. Not seen the TV version or read about it. He wrote a certain person into a later book and had him get beaten up.
Does Horowitz like the Alex Rider TV series that's being shown on Freevee?
Old 05-26-2024, 03:14 PM   #2759
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Does Horowitz like the Alex Rider TV series that's being shown on Freevee?
No idea. I forget where I read his comments. He also mentioned in that article that he got a bit fed up with Midsommer Murders. I never saw any of it, but realistically you need a metropolis, or a succession of villages, not one. I did watch quite a few of Folye's War. I wasn't too fussed on his Sherlock Holmes novels. I thought Rider, Diamond Brothers (spoof detective series), Power of Five etc. better. The Falcon's Malteser was a quite decent film adaptation. He is really quite versitile.

Also I don't watch anything on streaming, so only: DVD, BD and real FTA TV stations (via aerial or dish). But not often now. Reading takes up too much time.

I only have subscription / recurring payment on the unavoidable: domain names, hosting, internet access, car tax/insurance/annual gov fitness test, property tax and refuse collection.

Everything else is pay as I go (phone, petrol, food, electricity, home heating).
Old 05-26-2024, 03:20 PM   #2760
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
When buying beer and asked for an ID you can whip out your checkbook to prove how old you are.
How does that work?
Here people need suitable photo ID. Not any photo ID. There are voluntary Garda issued "Age" cards you can get. Legal limit is 18, though some shops it's 21 with age challenge if they want.